Critique my Diary!!

Options
Looking for some suggestions to kick start my weight loss again and get these next 20 pounds off!! Some background:
For the past year, I've been averaging about 3 pounds lost per month. Recently, that has dropped to .8 - 1.7 pounds lost per month. About 6 weeks ago, I changed my goal from 2 pounds per week to 1 pound per week which increased my base calories from 1200 to 1410. At the same time, I changed my macros to 40/30/30. I usually eat back most, but not all, of my exercise calories. My normal exercise routine consists of a daily dog walk in the morning. In the evening, I alternate between swimming, biking (outdoors or stationary), C25K, strength training, or workout DVDs. I'm thinking of dropping my base calories back down to 1200 to see if that helps. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!!

Replies

• stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    watch your sodium more some days are great but others are 2000 or so over for the day

and with only 20pounds to loose I would change the goal to .5pounds per week IMO but thats your call my personal settings are at 1pound per week for me now and I have about 32ish pounds left to loose
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Doesn't look too bad other than some of the high sodium days like the other person mentioned. You might drop some pounds if you lower to 1200 calories, but I tried that a couple of months ago and I started to feel hungry, cranky and tired all of the time. So I don't know if it is worth it. One of my friends posted this link earlier this morning, it might help you out.

http://www.extremely-fit.com/fitness-tips/2009/08/wanna-lose-10-pounds/
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Your macros are great. You eat very clean. I think you just need to adjust your numbers. If you only have 10 lbs to lose, it's best to drop it to losing .5 per week as the other poster stated.
    If your sodium fluctuates throughout the week, you are going to have crazy scale readings due to water retention. It takes several days to drop that water weight.
    Just make sure that you have a 250 calorie deficit each day if you are doing the .5 lb per week.
    Be careful with your calories on the cardio. Those numbers can be skewed if you don't have an HRM. I'm sure you know all this. It sounds like you are pretty knowledgeable about health and exercise.
  • nickiben
    nickiben Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    150lb loss is amazing!!! As you get closer to your goal weight, it is harder to lose weight. Make sure you arent creating a huger calorie deficit, as your body will think its going into starvation mode and store fat. It may take longer, but should work more and make you lean. If you create a huge calorie deficit, your body will eat muscle, not fat.
  • dawnm92
    dawnm92 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on an amazing loss! 150 pounds is incredible and very inspiring. Way to go!

My best suggestions after looking at your diary are to decrease your carbs and increase your healthy fats. You don't have to go extremely low-carb, but I would suggest trying under 100 grams of carbs per day and focusing on healthier, complex carbs. And make up for those calories by increasing your fat intake - it takes fat to burn fat. If your fat intake is too low, your body will resist fat loss. You can easily increase your healthy fats by adding any type of nuts, olive oil, fish, etc. to your daily intake.

Different things work for different people, but for me, the lower carbs seem to be working. I spent over two months exercising like mad and eating low-cal and couldn't lose a pound until I lowered my carbs and increased my healthy fats. Now, I'm starting to lose finally.

Good luck. :-)
  • 23ahol
    Options
    You have done well, so we all know you are committed!
    I would drop your fat% down 5% and raise your protein up 5%. This will keep you full and satisfied, but also help you get leaner.
    Also, at least from today's diary, you could take more protein for breakfast. For example, get chocolate whey protein and have that between 6-9am. Push the dark chocolate to later in the day.
    I like more protein in morning to keep me full and decrease cravings.
    Great job on your weight loss!
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What are Dream Dinners? It seems like they are continually high in sodium. But wow, your weight loss is already something to be very proud of! Great job and awesome dedication.