Mom smart enough to know what to do, but unable to follow through.

Options
I am a mom in my mid-thirties. I have two kids (ages 5 and 7) with significant challenges. Needless to say, I am quite busy. However, I do set time aside to run or workout a few days a week. My follow through has not been great in this regard - it is a work in progress. Though, it is still leaps and bounds better than my food intake.

I start every day with the best intentions. Some days I plan my food out the day before and keep it within my limits for the day. Some days I plan it out in the morning. And some days I enter it during the day while I am eating. Some days I don't log it at all, like today. However, none of these days are successful. I always end up eating a bunch of junk. I don’t remember the last time I had a successful day where I stayed within my limits. Or where I didn’t eat junk in some form.

I try my best to ensure there is little to no junk in the house. However, the success of my kids each day relies on bribery with small treats to get them to do things that typical kids do no problem. So, there is always some sort of junk around and I am no stranger to wolfing it down in the pantry with the door shut or trying to replace it before school is done for the day.

I can’t seem to stop myself from eating these things. It is so many different things. Stress, boredom, emotions, and sometimes actual hunger gone overboard. And I always eat while watching TV in the evening. That is the time where my husband and I wind down from the day so I always enjoy eating while we watch our shows together.

I have lost weight in the past (40lbs) and all I did then was exercise three days a week and stick to my calories each day. I also had a couple coworkers at the time who were doing the same thing and I felt supported. I saw them daily so it was always a nice boost.

Thanks to my two pregnancies I have about 60lbs to lose. My doctor has been telling me for years to reduce my weight. I have lost 10 lbs and gained back 10lbs over and over the last few years. I have tried a dietician, personal trainer, and therapy. But I can’t seem to get it. I know what to eat. I know how to exercise. I just can’t seem to actually keep myself accountable and succeed.

I run half-marathons. I ran four last year. Along with some shorter distance races. So, I know how to put the work in and get my runs done. I am capable for sure. The food is what is getting me down right now. So much that I am finding it difficult to get out there and run. I do have a group I run with once a week.

I am not looking for perfection every day of the week. Really, I just want to see that I can have successful food days here and there. And see if I can get some fuel to my fire. And hopefully score some in the losses category.

I am open to ideas, support, accountability…

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a very busy life. I wish there was a magic piece of advice I could give you, but my best would be to start small. How about just being accountable to tracking. No matter good or bad, track it. This will get you in the habit of doing it. After a week or two look where you can make better choices and pick one to work on. I wish you success.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Have you tried spending some time tracking at maintenance calories? Given the amount of exercise you do it kind of sounds like you're trying to cut out too much too soon and both your body and mind are rebelling and going for the quickest solution to make you feel better. Set the tracker to maintain, logg your exercise and eat every single calorie it gives for a week then see how you feel. Maybe start by planning the actual meals you've got for day in and then you can choose whatever snacks you want (no guilt) up to the calories you need. Make a note of when you are hungry, and eat snacks.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Have you tried spending some time tracking at maintenance calories? Given the amount of exercise you do it kind of sounds like you're trying to cut out too much too soon and both your body and mind are rebelling and going for the quickest solution to make you feel better. Set the tracker to maintain, logg your exercise and eat every single calorie it gives for a week then see how you feel. Maybe start by planning the actual meals you've got for day in and then you can choose whatever snacks you want (no guilt) up to the calories you need. Make a note of when you are hungry, and eat snacks.