Toe-Clenching solution?

Currently having a problem/setback because of subconsciously clenching my toes when running. I had no problems for 9 months of exercising outdoors but when I signed up for a gym to use elliptical and treadmill during the winter months I've been struggling. I started getting corns/blisters on the balls of my feet (especially from the elliptical). Then realized one-day that my feet are quite jacked up. Basically all hammer-toes now. I took a break for a couple weeks for them to heal a little and started soaking them and using a pummice Stone and moisturizer. But still plenty painful and this break really killed my momentum. Don't think it's my sneakers or socks but not sure how to proceed. Can't figure out how to relax them enough to get through a good workout. Other than "suck it up"... any advice?

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    You need to see a podiatrist.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    I don't know anything about hammer-toes but a friend recently had foot surgery and one of the things she had done was correction for some bad ones. I have neuropathy in my feet, they burn all the time and clenching my toes makes the pain less obvious so I do it all the time and end up with foot cramps. Kneeling with your butt on your ankles and toes on the floor help stretch the feet, learned that in yoga. When I'm walking or on the elliptical I focus on taking steps from the heel to the toes so it's distracting me from clenching my toes and using proper foot mechanics plus try to touch the top of my shoes with my toes. I'm not sure how you're getting blisters on the elliptical though, I don't take steps on mine so it may be from sweat rubbing your feet, perhaps trying a powder would help? I realize this didn't directly answer your questions, sorry!
  • Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    I occasionally have this problem too. I usually just stop and stretch my feet a bit and then push through to finish my run.

Yours sounds much more severe though. :neutral:
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I do this. First thing the podiatrist told me is that I was wearing the wrong size shoe. I was buying a half size too big and slightly too narrow in attempt to accomodate my toes. I went down a half size and started buying a wide version. She said that the shoes probably slid due to the slight excess length...and I was gripping without realizing it. Shoe size change helped for day to day issues.

My calves/hams are also constantly tight which cause issues too. I stretch more too.

Honestly, I stopped running, and that almost totally alleviated my foot issues. I couldn't stand the impact on my toes anymore. I will use the arc trainer or recumbant bike for cardio now.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,409 Member
    Oh wow. This is me! I thought I was the only one who clenched toes. I clench jaw, forehead, hands, toes. I guess I’m a tight ball of Type A personality traits.