What the HE Double Hockey Sticks Happened??? and How do I

Options
Okay....so yesterday...may go down in the books as the worst day of my diet ever! I didn't even eat that much when I went to the pig roast and was drinking!!

No lectures about the food choices please, I am fully aware that is the problem calorie wise, but what happened in my brain yesterday to think I could keep going like that all day? This was like a day when I wasn't dieting!!! I don't want to go back there!

My big question is this.....when you royally screw yourself over one day....I can shake it off and do good again but how do I make up the INCREDIBLE deficit to try and keep myself from packing some pounds back on.

Appreciate the constructive criticism...but please leave your flaming for another forum okay, I beat myself up pretty good already! I am coming to you guys as my health "family" and looking for advice and support!

Has anyone else done this? Should I just stop being so hard on my self and start over? Can I save my week by kicking it up at the gym?

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    What's done is done! Get right back to eating well & don't try to "make up for it" by not eating. If you look at this as lifestyle change and not a diet, one bad day isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    well the good news is... one day isnt going to make u gain all your weight back.

the bad news is... u cant eat like that anymore lol.

i had a bad day last saturday when i was at a birthday party, i ate 2 plates of bbq and about 30 sugar cookies and no workout all weekend.

dont let it get to you, all you have to do is get back on track and keep goin.
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Shake it off and move on. You will absorb that quarter pound or so extra you ate with a few days back on track. But now you need to figure out how not to do it again. Did you under eat for a few days before? Or show up starving to the party? I used to drink to much as a way of destressing, it never helped! ;-)
    Nobody is perfect and we all have disasters once it a while. Perfection is boring and sooooo overated anyway right?
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    Don't freak out! You are fine. Many people incorporate a cheat day or meal into their diet. I have a cheat day every week. It's actually good for your body..gives you an insulin spike. Some people say they never cheat because they can't go back to normal. Mentally I was going nuts without my cheat day and physically I could tell my body wasn't pleased because I never ate anything I was craving that was unhealthy.

So you had a cheat day...now today drink a ton of water, be healthy and exercise. Sounds good to me. Don't beat yourself up.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Could you be PMSing? That's about the only time I sometimes lose it, especially when it comes to sweets.

Just buckle down and look at it as a hiccup in your road to a healthier you. It happens and if you dwell on it and don't just move on, you are being self defeating.
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If I have a day like that (and believe me, I have!) I just start fresh the next day. Just forget about it and move on. You won't be able to make up for it or anything so just get back with the healthy stuff. We are all going to have setbacks. If you feel better maybe doing a couple extra workouts, go for it! Couldn't hurt! Good luck!
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    i definitely have those days where i'll eat one thing and can't stop! Do some extra running on the treadmill or outside to make up for it :)
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    When I do something like this I just start over. It's done, you can't change what happens but you can get back on the wagon. By all means do some extra exercise but don't kill yourself with it.

I figure in life there are going to be occasions where I go way over on my calories for whatever reason. As long as they're rare then I don't see that as a problem to be honest.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    It's not how many times you fall, it's about how many times you get back up.

We all have had those days to some degree.

Just move on to today. Log what you had yesterday (as best you can).

Don't starve yourself today, continue as normal, drink your water, do your exercise. Start looking at your weekly calories instead of one single day.

This journey is all about choices. This can't be a sustainable lifestyle if we deny ourselves forever.

You will be fine. Forgive yourself and move on.

Z
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You do nothing different. If, for example, you're set to lose 1lb./week, that's 3500 Calories per week. It would be really hard to eat and drink that much over your maintenance Calories in one day. At most, you might have a week to erase your fun. It's no big deal. I watch my Calories and what I eat so that I *can* go out and have fun, not to to stop myself from doing so.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing on Tuesday, and I know exactly how horrible you probably feel right now. But here is the deal - one day is not going to make or break you. Don't try to overcompensate at the gym, just get back on track ASAP. You can do it! That said, getting in a good workout will probably make you feel better - just don't worry about trying to burn all the excess you ate is what I'm trying to say.

And believe me when I say I know all about beating yourself up. That is a common topic of conversation between me and my therapist, haha. Bottom line is... if one of your friends had posted this, would you beat them up and berate them? Most likely not - so don't treat yourself that way either. You deserve to be treated with respect, and that includes your own opinion of yourself. =)

You got this, friend. Get back in the game and keep playing hard!
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    First of all, Kudos to you for logging it to be accountable to yourself and your MFP Family. Drink lots of water to help with the sodium. One bad day is not going to make you gain back a bunch of weight. Work out like normal.

What is done is done, stop beating yourself up and let it go. Get back on track today. :O)
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    What's done is done! Get right back to eating well & don't try to "make up for it" by not eating. If you look at this as lifestyle change and not a diet, one bad day isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
    That about sums it up. It's a big picture thing, not all is lost. If you're walking to the store from your house and it's 3 miles away, and 1 mile in you stumble and fall on your face, you don't walk all the way back home to begin your journey fresh again. Stand up, dust off and keep going.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing.. Some high days after several consecutive low days - I believe is a good thing. I think it signals the body that it is okay to release pounds.

I say, learn what you can from it.. think about what triggered you.. then plan for the next time that happens as to how you will handle it without the binge or a healthier choices..

You got this. The cool thing is you are aware of what happened and already taking action to prevent it and counter it.
  • bobbie228
    Options
    Honestly I step it up on the exercise! I have cheat days where I don't log anything though. Some will disagree with my method but it is MY Method and for ME! Any how. I won't log anything those days and I will eat what I want with in reason. If I want macaroni salad I eat it, however, I don't eat a whole bowl of it I have a serving of it or half the serving. Sometimes for me it is just the taste of the item I want and I am good to go. I will also on those days do my regular workout and something extra. I never ever combine my cheat day with my rest day from exercise. LASTLY! YOU MOVE ON! You just trudge through make a note of the craziness and remind yourself of how stressed you felt today for some only good at the moment choices yesterday.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I agree 100% with this statement. Don't let 1 day ruin you. Just do better the next day. Make healthier food choices and exercise.
  • rococo11
    rococo11 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ok, Going by the 3,500 calories is one lb you ate less than a one pound increase in the day. If you take your goal from that you are less than .3 of a lb increase. Honestly you will probably have a a bit of a spike in weight from water retention from all the sodium. So drink a lot of water today. Maybe add an extra half hour of exercise if you feel bad. But don't worry about it too much. And I would advise not weighing yourself for a few days (not sure how often you weigh but it will only make you feel bad if you take weigh-ins as an end all). You;ll be fine.each day is a new day. Good Luck
  • roballesteros
    Options
    Just let it go, move on....if the calorie deficit is GIANT then I wouldn't worry about making up for it in the gym. It happens to the best of us!! It's good that you have recognized that you have gotten off track temporarily but you are picking yourself up and getting right back on. It is impossible for anyone to go weeks, months, years of counting calories and working out religiously without hitting bumps in the road along the way.

Today is a new day!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I agree with the don't try to make up for it, just move on. One day of binging isn't going to really cause too much damage as long as it doesn't become a habit. Trying to make up for it is only going to lead to other unhealthy conditions that just aren't worth it. Just get yourself back on track the next dayand you'll be fine. Look at it this way, even if you went over by 2000 calories, if the rest of your week is still at you're regular deficit, you won't gain a pound and likely would still lose. So don't worry about that day so much, just focus on making sure it's an isolated event and not letting it become a regular splurge.
  • pearannoyed
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. I was at an event over the weekend where I had no options but to eat mac and cheese and fried chicken, or just go hungry. I probably still could have come in under my calorie count, except then I also ate pumpkin pie and carrot cake. Yikes.

The next day I got back on track with my healthier eating plan, and for the last two days I've had better weight loss numbers than I have for a while.

So don't think of this a blowing your diet... think of it as reminding your body that it isn't going to starve. :)