Calories needed for a nursing mom

Options
Hi everyone! I just had a baby on August 16th via c-section. I need to know how many calories I need to be taking in. I'm not supposed to start working out until I'm 6 weeks post partum, but I really want to lose weight and get my diet where it needs to be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You!!

Replies

• wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on if you are breast feeding or not. if you are, you need more calories than the average person does.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    500 calories over what you should be eating - I never watched my calories while I first started Bfing - and I was able to get down to pre-pregnancy weight very quickly. I also had a c-section. Drink LOTS and LOTS of water. I'm guessing I was consuming around 2500 calories/day for the first 3 months

I only ate when I was hungry, but I always seemed to be very hungry and very thirsty around feeding time!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I really could not lose weight while nursing. I could not even think about dieting or my milk supply would drop (and it's REALLY hard to get back up). Weight did not "fall off" for me while nursing like it does for some reason. I was patient and did not diet until I stopped nursing. It sucked but was worth it. The weight will come off eventually. There really is no rush.

BUT if you do try to diet, they say nursing moms need 300 extra calories a day to feed the baby, and you shouldn't be trying to loose quickly, maybe only a half pound a week (which is a 250 calorie deficit). So what I'd recommend is just setting your calories to maintenance and see how that works.
  • hollybearrington
    Options
    you dont have to really add cals to ur diet. I have nursed 3 children all the doctor will tell u is take ur prenat vit. and drink alot of water.
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I also had a c-section....congratulations on your baby, by the way!!! I agree with the previous poster--500 calories above what you would normally take in. If you are breastfeeding it will really take a lot out of you and burn more calories than you probably realize. Eating a healthy balanced diet should get the weight melting off during your required downtime....However, if you are like me and packed on the poundage during preg--hit the gym when you get the go-ahead from the doc AND you feel ready. It will take some time for those preggo hormones to leave your body and get you back to your old self. Take care of yourself and your new baby!
  • MellowYellowGem
    MellowYellowGem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes, exclusive breastfeeding burns off 500 calories a day, so add that to whatever you eat, you'll find the weight will come off easily with a healthy balanced diet, don't cut anything out. Drink plenty of water, but not too much as that can effect supply.
    If you are thinking of exercising too stick to low impact things, such as walking or swimming, as high impact can quickly reduce your milk supply too.
    If you find for any reason your supply does drop, feed feed feed as often as you can as that will get it back up. (as it's a supply and demand service!) Sometimes you find you need to do this anyway when baby is having a growth spurt.
    I'm a breastfeeding peer support counsellor in my area, so if you ever have any questions feel free to message or add me. :smile:
  • LeSsOvMe
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback!!
  • Here is some excellent info about losing weight while breastfeeding! I am also nursing my youngest son (he is 5 months old) and have lost 11 pounds so far and have maintained my milk supply with no issues. Good luck to you :smile:

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I really could not lose weight while nursing. I could not even think about dieting or my milk supply would drop (and it's REALLY hard to get back up). Weight did not "fall off" for me while nursing like it does for some reason. I was patient and did not diet until I stopped nursing. It sucked but was worth it. The weight will come off eventually. There really is no rush.

BUT if you do try to diet, they say nursing moms need 300 extra calories a day to feed the baby, and you shouldn't be trying to loose quickly, maybe only a half pound a week (which is a 250 calorie deficit). So what I'd recommend is just setting your calories to maintenance and see how that works.

This was the same for me. I actually am still nursing at 20 months, but the weight really didn't start coming off for me until we were down to only 3 feedings per day (once she started getting nutrition from solids around 12 - 13 months). For me, I was keenly aware of when my supply was struggling, because I had to pump (I work full time). So doing anything to affect my supply might mean that I didn't have enough milk to send to daycare. After a few months back at work (around 7 months), I began to struggle with supply, whereas in the beginning I had a oversupply, actually. So I found that I had to keep my calorie level up (as well as stay hydrated & minimize stress) to maintain my supply, and this meant I lost weight at a pretty slow rate (10lbs in the first year, after the initial 20lb loss right after giving birth). I think if you can nurse on demand, it is easier to maintain supply, because as someone else said, you can just nurse more often to get your supply back up.

Anyway, I was also going to suggest the kellymom.com site--great info. In general, an extra 300 - 500 calories per day is what is recommended for a breastfeeding mother.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing a very strong-willed 27 month old! I intentionally started dieting when she turned 2 so that I could stop in hopes that my supply would diminish - it didn't happen. I guess on the plus side it helps with dieting - but extended breastfeeding is almost like trying to take a pacifier away - only you can't hide your boobs! LOL
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing a very strong-willed 27 month old! I intentionally started dieting when she turned 2 so that I could stop in hopes that my supply would diminish - it didn't happen. I guess on the plus side it helps with dieting - but extended breastfeeding is almost like trying to take a pacifier away - only you can't hide your boobs! LOL

Ha this is so true!! My second son nursed until he was 22 months, and my third is still nursing at 18 months. He pulls on my shirt and cries if I don't put out. :giggle:

To the OP. .I agree with what most of the others have said on the 500 calories thing. My LC told me that a nursing mom should not go below 1600 cals a day, and to keep a close eye on your supply. Be sure to take your vitamins and drink lots of water. On top of that, you baby needs you to eat more fat and more sugars than a non-nursing mom. Healthy fats: Butter from grass fed beef, cheese from grass fed beef, organic extra virgin olive oil, organic extra virgin coconut oil, quality fish oil. What I found helpful was to take a prenatal that also came with a DHA supplement.

Good luck, and God bless!
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options

This was the same for me. I actually am still nursing at 20 months, but the weight really didn't start coming off for me until we were down to only 3 feedings per day (once she started getting nutrition from solids around 12 - 13 months). For me, I was keenly aware of when my supply was struggling, because I had to pump (I work full time). So doing anything to affect my supply might mean that I didn't have enough milk to send to daycare. After a few months back at work (around 7 months), I began to struggle with supply, whereas in the beginning I had a oversupply, actually. So I found that I had to keep my calorie level up (as well as stay hydrated & minimize stress) to maintain my supply, and this meant I lost weight at a pretty slow rate (10lbs in the first year, after the initial 20lb loss right after giving birth). I think if you can nurse on demand, it is easier to maintain supply, because as someone else said, you can just nurse more often to get your supply back up.

Anyway, I was also going to suggest the kellymom.com site--great info. In general, an extra 300 - 500 calories per day is what is recommended for a breastfeeding mother.

I just wanted to give you props for extended nursing. I'm glad to see that it's becoming more prevalent in our society!!! My toddler LOVES his nurse-nurse. I ask him if he wants to nurse-nurse and his response is to giggle and sometimes clap! He's 18 months.

God bless!
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I started counting calories a few weeks after my son was born. I kept mine around 1700, and then after a few months, dropped it to around 1400. I lost all the weight, but my supply really really suffered. If you're BFing, I suggest staying closer to 2000 calories.. I wish I had. He's 7 months old now and I only produce about 5 ounces a day.. WAY low. I am about to just give up =( It's so sad!!
  • EMSNJOEY
    Options
    1oz of breastmilk is approximately 20 calories burned. Figure out how many ounces you are producing a day and you have a rough estimate of the calories you burned nursing. I added nursing 1 OZ = 20 calories to my personal exercises and while I was nursing, I still logged all of my food and my nursing or pumping sessions. While it wasn't an exact science, I at least had an idea of how many calories I was burning nursing and how many I needed to consume to keep my supply up.