Intervals on the Elliptical

Options
Hi everyone! I was wondering if any of you did intervals on the elliptical machine? I workout almost everyday with one but I know interval training is very beneficial...just don't know how to go about it! Any advice? What do you do?

Replies

• AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I usually go for 45 minutes on my elliptical. I use a setting called "Terrain" which varies in intensity from 4-20 throughout the time. I basically ru through the lower settings and fast walk really using leg muscles on the higher settings. For example, I start with running for 4 minutes, then walk for 4, then run for the next 2-4 minutes, then walk as many,.... Each minute = 1 level. I basically run half and fast walk half. I try to run throug at least half of the 20 levels. THe first couple are tough but teh alst 2 are a breeze!!
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've just been doing a small bit of intervals on my elliptical today. I'm very overweight, so adjust the numbers to fit you. I tend to do a 15 min stint at a time (my gym is busy, so we're asked to not stay on machines past 15 mins at a time). My "slow" speed I try to keep it over 80spm, and my "fast" speed is over 100spm. I've starting doing the 1st minute fast, and then every 3rd minute after that, (4, 7, 10, 13) and trying to keep my "slow" pace in between.

I don't know how other people do it, but I'm going to try to keep that up for a bit, then switch to 2 mins fast, 1 min slow, or just up the pace of the "fast" sections.
  • meeshkins7
    meeshkins7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started interval training on the treadmill and bike. On the bike I do 20 mins total of 1 min sprint between 118 - 120 rpms and then regular pace at 1:10 and I do that 10 x. On the treadmill similar but recovery time only 1 min. You could try doing all three, that would be a good variety. Then each time or each week bump up your RPMS and give yourself a challenge and goal for that week. Good luck!
  • SkinnyMind
    Options
    Hey, i think the closets thing would be the personal trainer option, i tried it for the first time a couple days ago and it pretty much had me doing things from, using the elliptical in the opposite direction, focusing on pushing and then pulling with my arms, to going at any speed but focusing on my legs, it also told me to maintain a speed between 3-4 and then racing up to maintain the speed of 6 and above. I got a really good work out from it, i'm going to try it again today. Hope that helps
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do something like this:

3-5 min warmup
    30 seconds high intensity
    1 min low intensity
    45 sec high
    1 min low
    1 min high
    1 min low
    90 sec high
    1 min low
    1 min high
    1 min low
    45 sec high
    1 min low
    30 sec high
    cooldown

Could also do something with resistance

2 min high resistance
    2 min low
    repeat 5 times (or as many as you want)

Hope this helps!
  • sjperez1218
    Options
    Hey there!

I love the elliptical. I can't stand to run on treadmill so the elliptical seems like the best option for me. I do use interval when I am on. I have a "personal trainer" option on mine which starts you out with 2 mins at 3-4mph, then boosts to 6mph for 2 min, then 1 min of concentrated pushing/ 1min/pulling, then back to 6mph for 2 min, then down to 3-4 for 2 min, then go at your pace, only lower body, reverse at continued pace, then goes back through the whole cycle again. I really like it because it mixes up the routine, it's not just a constant speed the whole time. Always keep your mind guessing what will be next and seems to make the time on the elliptical go faster - before I know it my workout is done, which is very nice! Plus I can get a good burn for only a half hour :)
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I was wondering if any of you did intervals on the elliptical machine? I workout almost everyday with one but I know interval training is very beneficial...just don't know how to go about it! Any advice? What do you do?

I have recently started doing interval training under the advice of a trainer at the gym. He has me doing 17 minutes on the treadmill, 1 minute fast walk, 1 minute run (after 4 mins of warm up walking) and on the elliptical trainer (cross-trainer) I do an intermediate level 1 minute at a steady pace and then 30 seconds going as fast as I can, through the burn and do that 4 times. Gives a total of about 25 minutes cardio interval training which is the recommended amount. Gets your heart working in getting up to speed and then recovering.

I guess every trainer has different recommendations but it has been working for me. I do that, and cycling outside (to work and back) and then 1 "tempo" training session at weekend (longer cardio at a moderate pace) and then a swim. You should do a mix of all really to benefit is what I've gathered from on here and friends I have spoken to.

Fran :)
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Ahh you guys are great-thank you very much for the help! :)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do something like this:

3-5 min warmup
    30 seconds high intensity
    1 min low intensity
    45 sec high
    1 min low
    1 min high
    1 min low
    90 sec high
    1 min low
    1 min high
    1 min low
    45 sec high
    1 min low
    30 sec high
    cooldown

Could also do something with resistance

2 min high resistance
    2 min low
    repeat 5 times (or as many as you want)

Hope this helps!

That **** is no joke, I've done it myself.
  • CGSW4
    CGSW4 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have use a 95xi at home and try to do between 5km and some days 10km, I try to use the heart rate interval which keeps you at your upper heart rate level for 3 mins then changes to your low heart rate level so you decrease your effort until your heart rate comes down and then you keep at the lower HR level for 3 mins.....and it repeats the cycle
    Think the eliptical is great cardio for burning overall body fat
    Hope this helps
  • cparis16
    cparis16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love using the elliptical because I have bad knees. When I am doing the elliptical I listen to my ipod and to get an interval workout in I sprint during the chorus of the song(s). This way I don't have to keep track of the minutes. :-)