Cooking Challenge: Cucumber

inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the forty-fifth round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from beccar04, the winner of the okra cooking challenge.

cucumber-slices1.jpg

This week's challenge is CUCUMBER.

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday September 3rd at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    great idea~!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Sweet - I want back in !
  • inskydiamonds
    Share your recipes!
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Cuke rounds = cracker
    Not a real recipe but one way I use cukes is to peel and cut in thin slices (circles) using them like a cracker for spreads/sandwich fillings...especially good with cooked salmon or trout mixed up with a dash of lemon, lite mayo, and paprika...or some laughing cow garlic spread with chunks of the fish on top. Also do with shrimp and thin slice of garlic dill pickle on top :-)

Since the toppings vary it is difficult to give nutrient values. 1cup sliced cukes = 14 cals. then figure your own toppings.
    They are light, cool, refreshing meal or snack. Enjoy!
  • inskydiamonds
    Share the recipes!
  • I totally want in! :)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Thai hot, sweet & sour cucumber salad- serves 4

Less than 50 calories per serving.

This is beautiful served with any asian inspired meat or fish- or even as a side for curries. I love mine with baked salmon or shredded chicken.

INGREDIENTS:

- 1 cucumber
    - 1 red chilli pepper, finely chopped
    - 1 tbsp white wine/ rice wine vinegar
    - juice of 1/2 a lime
    - 1/2 tsp white sugar
    - 1/2 tbsp thai fish sauce
    - chopped fresh mint
    - chopped fresh coriander (Cilantro)

Optional- crushed roasted peanuts for garnish.

METHOD:

- shave the cucumber into ribbons with a veg peeler.

- In a bowl, mix the vinegar, lime juice, sugar, chilli, fish sauce and mix together. pour onto cucumber and toss.

- mix in most of the herbs. Serve on a platter and garnish with the remaining herbs and (if using) crushed roasted peanuts.
  • inskydiamonds
    share your recipes!
  • abbyko
    abbyko Posts: 108
    NAME OF RECIPE: Cucumber or Zucchini Pickles
    INGREDIENTS: Cucs or zucchini (I've used both), apple cider vinegar, tumeric, salt, sugar, mustard seed, onions
    DIRECTIONS: check out my post about it, with full instructions.
    http://lemonsavory.com/2011/08/07/pickling-attempt-1-zucchini-pickles/
    CALORIES PER SERVING: 30g = approx 26 calories, 1oz = approx 35 calories
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 10 or so
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: These were absolutely amazing! Crisp and sweet but still tangy and not too sweet. The first time I made them I used zucchini which is what is featured in the post, but just last week I made them with cucumbers and they were just as good. So easy too.
    PICTURE (optional):
    http://lemonsavory.com/2011/08/07/pickling-attempt-1-zucchini-pickles/
  • nkrueger1
    nkrueger1 Posts: 129 Member
    Recipe from eatbetteramerica

Basil-Crabmeat Topped Cucumbers

Prep Time:40 min
    Start to Finish:40 min
    makes:36 appetizers

1 medium English (seedless) cucumber
    1 package (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
    2 tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
    2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
    2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
    1 cup frozen cooked crabmeat (from 6-oz package), thawed, drained and flaked
    2 tablespoons capers, if desired
    Small basil leaves or chopped fresh basil, if desired

1. Score cucumber lengthwise with tines of fork if desired. Cut into 36 (1/4-inch) slices.
    2. In small bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer on low speed until creamy. Beat in mayonnaise until well blended. Stir in chopped basil, onion, lemon peel and crabmeat.
    3. Spread or pipe about 1 teaspoon crabmeat mixture on each cucumber slice. Sprinkle with capers. Garnish with basil leaves.

1 Appetizer: Calories 20 (Calories from Fat 15); Total Fat 1 1/2g (Saturated Fat 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 20mg; Total Carbohydrate 0g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 0g); Protein 1g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 0%; Iron 0% Exchanges: Carbohydrate Choices: 0
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 349 Member
    Really like the sound of the cucumber thai salad recipe! Sounds yummy :)
  • evelyngrice
    Herbed Bulgar Wheat Salad!

85g bulgar wheat
    1 tomatoe, deseeded and diced
    1/4 cucumber, deseeded and diced
    1 shallot, peeled and chopped
    1tbsp chopped mint
    1tbsp chopped parsley
    1tbsp olive oil
    Squeeze of lemon juice

Put the bulgar wheat into a bowl and pour over 150ml of boiling water.
    Cover.
    Leave to soak for 5 minutes & fork through.
    Add the tomatoes, cucumber, shallots and herbs to the bulgar wheat, mix & season.
    Add the olive oil ane lemon juice, mix.
    If possible leave for a few hours to allow the flavours to infuse.

(I am a garlic fiend, so I substituted the shallots for a clove of garlic).

200calories per serving.
    6g fat
    20g carbs.

I think it tastes yummy. If you are not fond of bulgar wheat, then substitute for cous cous :)
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    The cucumber is a type of melon and comes from the same family as watermelon, zucchini and other squash. It is cylindrical in shape with lengths of approximately 6 to 9 inches. Its skin is very similar to watermelon, ranges from green to white. Inside, the flesh is pale green and very juicy.

The cucumber is a tropical plant but is also easily available in most part of the world. However, in some cultures, cucumber is more often used to make pickles, of which most of its nutrients would have been lost.

Nutritional Benefits

Cucumber has an impressive amount of water (about 96%) that is naturally distilled, which makes it superior to ordinary water. Its skin contains a high percentage of vitamin A, so should not be peeled off.

The cucumber contains alkaline-forming minerals and is an excellent source of vitamin C and A (anti-oxidants), folate, manganese, molybdenum, potassium, silica, sulfur, and lesser amounts of vitamin B complex, sodium, calcium, phosphorus and chlorine.

You have seen beauty practitioners use slices of cucumber on their eyes. It is found that the caffeic acid in this vegetable helps to prevent water retention and when applied topically, helps reduce puffy and swollen eyes

Health Benefits

Many people are ignorant of the immense health benefits of cucumber and would avoid eating cucumber where possible. Fresh cucumber may taste "bland" to some but its thirst-quenching and cooling properties are refreshing. It acts as an anti-oxidant when taken together with fried and barbequed foods.

I like to mix cucumber juice with carrot or orange juices. Here's a list of health benefits of cool cucumber:

Acidity: The alkalinity of the minerals in cucumber juice effectively helps in regulating the body's blood pH, neutralizing acidity. The juice is also soothing for the treatment of gastric and duodenal ulcers.

Blood pressure: Like celery, this colorless drink can help regulate blood pressure because of its minerals and traces of sodium.

Connective tissues, building: The excellent source of silica contributes to the proper construction of connective tissues in our body as in the bones, muscles, cartilage, ligaments and tendons.

Cooling: During dry and hot weather, drink a glass of cucumber + celery juice. It wonderfully helps to normalize body temperature.

Diuretic: Cucumber juice is diuretic, encouraging waste removal through urination. This also helps in the dissolution of kidney stones.

Fever: The temperature regulating properties in cucumber juice makes it a suitable drink when you have a fever.

Inflammation: The Chinese think that cucumbers are too "cooling" and not suitable for people with rheumatism. But we know now that cucumber can help counter uric acids that are causing inflammation in joints. When cucumber is taken it does its cleaning work at the joints, thus stirring up pain as it eliminates the uric acid. This means it also help other inflamed conditions like arthritis, asthma, and gout.

Hair growth: The silicon and sulfur content in cucumber juice makes it especially helpful in promoting hair growth. Drink it mixed with carrot, lettuce or spinach juice.

Puffy eyes: Some people wake up in the morning with puffy eyes, probably due to too much water retention in the body (or having cried to sleep). To reduce the puffiness, lie down and put two slices of cucumber on the eyes for a good ten minutes.

Skin conditions: The high amount of vitamin C
    and anti-oxidants in cucumber makes it an important ingredient in many beauty creams for treating eczema, psoriasis, acne, etc.

Sunburn: When there is a sunburn, make cucumber juice and rub it on the affected area for a cooling and healing effect.

Water retention: It supplies the necessary electrolytes and restores hydration of the body cells, thus reducing water retention.

Consumption Tips

Choose cucumbers that are dark green in color and firm to the touch. Avoid those that are yellowish or are wrinkled at either ends. Thinner cucumbers have fewer seeds than those that are thicker.

Store cucumbers in the fridge to retain its freshness. Cut cucumbers should be kept wrapped up or in an air-tight container and kept in the fridge. Consume within a day or two.

Caution

Where possible, buy organic as cucumbers may be waxed or have pesticides. If non-organic, wash cucumber under cold running water and scrub gently with a vegetable brush. It might help also to soak it for 5-10 minutes with 1-2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar.
  • inskydiamonds
    Voting begins!!

http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

Vote for your favorite cucumber recipe by the 7th of September at 5PM PST!
  • adross3
    Crabmeat and Cucumber Salad:

Serves 2 : Calories amounts for 1

Calories 78 : Protein 10g : Carbs : 3g : Fat 4g

EAT WOTH CHOPSTIX

1 Can crab meat
    1/2 Cucumber Extra-thin cut 1/8"
    4 Tbls rice vinagar
    Pinch of sugar
    1 good twist of fresh black pepper
    sprinkle with sesame seeds.
    Optional Tsp Olive oil for 40 more cals.

One on my favorites. I learned it about 7 years ago.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    bump for ideas!
  • adross3
    Crabmeat and Cucumber Salad:

Serves 2 : Calories amounts for 1

Calories 78 : Protein 10g : Carbs : 3g : Fat 4g

EAT WOTH CHOPSTIX

1 Can crab meat
    1/2 Cucumber Extra-thin cut 1/8"
    4 Tbls rice vinagar
    Pinch of sugar
    1 good twist of fresh black pepper
    sprinkle with sesame seeds.
    Optional Tsp Olive oil for 40 more cals.

One on my favorites. I learned it about 7 years ago.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23662383@N05/6111524182/in/photostream
  • evelyngrice
    I love a crab meat and cucumber salad! Really refreshing :)
  • inskydiamonds
    vote!
  • inskydiamonds
    VOTE AND HELP BREAK THE TIE!
    http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

I want to close this tonight :D