accurate scale reading?

Options
heya friends,
i'm a 5'10 female, and well, entirely unsure about my weight.
at the start of last week, i weighed in at 141 lbs, on thursday i ate a bit more then usual (2,500 cal) and weighed in at 146, and yesterday i was 139.6, and today i'm at 138.2?
and i do weigh myself after i wake up, before i eat or drink anything, but still, my weight seems to drop a pound every day?
and i know that's not humanly possible. i'm sure it's just fluctuations due to water, but i'm curious how to get an accurate reading (or, at least as accurate as possible)
Thanks!!

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Use a trending app to log your weight (Happy Scale for iPhone, Libra for Android, Trendweight web based, requires a free Fitbit account to log your weight into, but not an actual Fitbit).

Weights taken over a week don't really tell much, particularly for a premenopausal woman. Mine drops like a rock for 8-9 days following ovulation, last month I dropped 2.6 kg (5.7 lb) in that time. Some of that was fat, most of it was water weight that had been masking fat loss for over a week prior to ovulation. Same happens at TOM, though less extreme. My weight loss over a four week period is exactly what it should be for my calorie deficit.

If you find that your average weight loss over a 4-6 week period is higher than anticipated, increase your calories.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    8 pound difference between heaviest and lightest. That's pretty large. I'd change the battery, and see if things settle down. If not, I'd buy a new scale. Assuming that you always measure on a hard level surface, you probably shouldn't be seeing such differences. It could be that the maximum was a one off, one of the sensors was having a bad day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    The 146 was likely a sodium and food overload from the overeating day. Aside from that you have a 3 lb trend over a period of several days. That’s not particularly alarming or concerning to me. All of these are “accurate scale readings”. No one has one “true” weight.
    What is your pattern over the past 30 days?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Our scale is weird. The first weight of the day is always off. Then on subsequent steps it gives the exact same weight each time. I have a growing young cat that I weigh periodically by first standing on the scale myself, then standing on it holding him and doing the math. It puts him at 8.5 lb and our chubby tabby at only 9. I had estimated her at 10.5 at least. The batteries are new. I don't know if I trust it.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Then on subsequent steps it gives the exact same weight each time.

Pretty much all scales do this. It's called hysteresis. Its purpose is to stop people repeatedly weighing to see tiny changes and saying that the scales are #kitten# due to the errors. You can reset the scale by holding a bottle of water etc, or carefully using one foot on the scale to get a low value.
  • Siberian2590
    Siberian2590 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Any electronic scale is going to have inaccuracy, unless it costs thousands of dollars. A mechanical balance scale is the only accurate, economical scale.

But everybody already knew that.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hormones
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I keep an unopened 20 pound container of kitty litter near our scale and I use that to make sure our scale is calibrated correctly. I only weigh myself once a week, though.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I use my dumbells to check my scale if it seems off. It never is though. :)
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,573 Member
    Options
    My weight bounces around like a yoyo throughout the week. I weigh every day, First thing. I always spike leading up to my period, stay high, and then drop after.

Depending on water consumption, heavy workouts, sodium consumption and regularity, I can see anywhere from 2-5lbs change on any given day.

Trending is where the meaning is at.