What the HE Double Hockey Sticks Happened??? and How do I

Options
2»

Replies

• lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Ditto on what everyone else said. You went 1200 calories over. Assuming you're running a planned deficit the rest of the time in order to lose weight -- this will be just a tiny blip in your weight loss journey. Who knows, it could even jump your metabolism a bit so that you see kick *kitten* weight loss next week!
  • suavequeen
    suavequeen Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    One day at a time and don't try to undo what's been done as far as meals go. It will do more harm than good. Kick extra butt at the gym and drink tons of water in case sodium intake was high... don't want water weight to show its face and freak you out. Just know that it happens to us all and we have to stand firm and keep going. The fact that you feel so bad shows you have changed and that is awesome!
  • lb7970
    lb7970 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Here's an article that might be helpful: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark48.htm

Give yourself a break, more of us have had these days than you'd care to count. Sometimes the weight loss journey is long and bound to be filled with pitfalls.
  • funkythreads2004
    funkythreads2004 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I also have a weekly cheat day, its something to look forward to. However, i do cut back slightly during the week to accommodate this and do extra exercise, so in the end i don't go over my calories by loads. Weirdly, i still seem to lose my 1/2 lb after!
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I definitely believe you'll be just fine. NO WORRIES! Count it as a cheat day an move on. A cheat meal, usually, keeps us from going off the rocker when we're learning to live a healthier lifestyle. Many trainers would actually recommend it. My fav piece of advice from an old trainer was to make "better bad choices". We're human, we have desires, and sometimes we're limited in our food choices. Just think of a way to have a bad choice every now and then (if you're absolutely dying for it), but in such a way to make is less than 100% bad for you, if that makes any sense. For instance, if you have to have that cheeseburger, what can you do to make it a better bad choice? You can make it open-faced and only eat half of the bun or better yet, without the bun at all; you can get it without mayo, you can squeeze some of the oils out of it before eating; you can top it with fresh veggie toppings to increase your veggie intake. . .hundreds of cals can be saved.

If it'll make you feel better about it, monitor closely your intake for the rest of the week and note how you feel at the end of the day. I personally have had a LOT of success incorporating a cheat meal in my week, sometimes two. I try to stay relatively low on the intake before the cheat meal, but if I don't, I won't allow it to throw me completely off course. Stay dedicated to being active and making good food choices and you'll be fine.

Feel better. :)
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! I really love you and I have no idea how I would do this with out your support!

I did weight watchers but I never felt as supported or accountable as I do here! I will amp up the water (which I have got to remember to log, I have been bad for that but I do average about 8 glasses per day) and take a nice brisk walk at lunch.

Breakfast was already much better!!
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    You made a mistake, you felt out of control, and you have identified that you don't want to go back to that way of eating. You can not change it, it's done with.....NOW WHAT? Do you continue or do you start over? Today is a new day so start over.
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up any more! We ALL slip to some degree. Think of it this way: you learned something really important. You learned that you you don't like how you feel afterwards. So, next time, chances are you'll decide not to eat like that. That's a valuable lesson. Honestly, you probably won't even gain any weight. This past week, I went to a birthday party and ate ice cream cake; also went to this super yummy fried chicken place and had fried chicken, fries, and bread and butter. Had a chocolate attack one night and ate nutella and dark chocolate - yum! Lost 2.2 lbs. Go figure.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    If occassional days like this stop existing in my world, I might as well roll over and die. Parties, BBQs, weddings, 'bad' days ... are going to happen. A single day of BBQ feasting isn't going to undo all of your hard work. And IMO they're necessary days. You enjoy yourself, you eat like a king, have a bunch of beers - and the next day, life goes back to regular scheduled healthy choices. Ta-Da! You're winning!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    hugs brush it off and start over tomorrow

It might even be a good thing in spike your motabolism needs cheat days can be good :) I am planning to go out for dinner tonight and I have NO clue where we are going and I`m not going to worrie about it because I`ve been good all week and Know I`ll be right back at it tomorrow :)
  • speedyme
    speedyme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Like previous post; What's done is done. Get back on the horse and drink LOTS of water to help flush the bad stuff out. You will probable be retaining water because of all the drinks and salt so if you can drink double what you usually drink that should help with the water retention. Then get back into your routine. You may not lose any weight at your next weigh in, but no lose is better than gaining.
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This is true! I would be happy with maintenance if I can't still lose!
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Definately don't beat yourself up too bad. I had a BRUTAL week too...maybe something about the changing weather or something. My plan of attack was to just get back up on the horse and start over. I weighed myself today and (thank God) I didn't gain any weight, mostly because I made sure that, although my eating was crap I balanced it out with as much physical activity as I could get. So my suggestion, get up, dust yourself off and recomitt to the heathy lifestyle that you are now taking part in. We all have bad days, even bad weeks; as long as you're living a healthy, balanced lifestyle you should come out on top.
  • innerspiraling
    innerspiraling Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    One day is not going to be a problem for you. Just take a look at what you're doing overall and what you can learn from the experience. There are times that I know I'm going out to dinner with friends and that I am really not going to try to make perfect choices with regard to food and I AM going to drink that great wine and I might even have dessert. I do try to be aware of how I'm feeling and not stuff myself, but I'm not going to stick to a salad and grilled chicken.

I have learned that I'm happier overall if I try to pace myself and pay attention to how full I feel. I also know that it's important to me to try to balance out the exercise and food as much as possible. For example, last Saturday I knew I was going out to an Italian restaurant and that there would be great wine and I would want to indulge in a great meal - so I increased my exercise significantly on Saturday morning to make a little space. Not exactly enough, but it was damage control, and I moved on. And I still ended up losing weight for the week. I also may not eat back all of my exercise calories on the days before or after this type of event, depending on how I feel - not really trying to make it an exact calorie wash, but rather approximating a bit of calorie cycling, and I make sure I don't go below 1200. It seems to be working for me overall.

However, I know that family functions can also lead me to overeat, but that often the indulgences aren't ones that really satisfy me, so in those instances I know now to plan ahead and not arrive hungry, have plenty of water, allow myself to take breaks away from the group, and try to make conscious choices about the food I eat.

I'm still working on how to approach work functions and business travel, which can also lead to eating issues for me, which are both emotional and circumstantial, but I'm trying to just be more aware of what's going on for me in the moment.
  • CarrieJaneSmith
    CarrieJaneSmith Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My husband and I allow ourselves to eat whatever we want from noon on Saturday to noon on Sunday. This helps w/any feelings of being deprived. And because we log what we eat, we tend to eat less of our favorite things than if we didn't :)
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I went to a lecture last night that discussed current research on weight loss and health. One of the topics was how food affects our brain's reward center. Very interesting, and could apply to your situation.

From your description, sounds like you went to some kind of celebration. The advice in the lecture was to remember that many events provide food to make it more 'fun'. More food, more glucose in the system, your biochemistry ends up producing endorphins, and a short term high. The short term high feels good, so the result is achieved, more "fun".

The problem isn't about will power, your body chemistry is fighting you. The physician's recommendation is to catch yourself in the situation and have a strategy on how to handle it. The advice was:
    1- try to remove yourself from the stimulus (e.g. don't sit in front of food. I wouldn't recommend avoiding a party, that's not realistic.)
    2- make negative associations with the stimulus. (Think about all the reasons why you don't want the food, how many hours you'll be on the treadmill to burn it off, what it looks like raw, what it can do to your health, think of it covered in cat food (or worse), the pants that won't fit if you eat it. )
    3- have an "if - then" plan (like if I find myself tempted by a trigger food, I will move away from the food. or If I go to a party, I will bring foods that I like to eat and don't trigger compulsive eating, etc.)
    4- Believe in your heart that the trigger food is bad for your health.

They also had a few comments about alcohol.
    1) it lowers inhibitions, and if you are trying to change your habits, the alcohol just makes it harder.
    2) When you drink alcohol, your liver shifts from burning fat to burning the alcohol. It takes two days for your liver to 'reset' to fat burning. You will lose weight more slowly the week you drink alcohol.
    3) Not all alcoholic drinks are equal. Wine and alcohol with syrups and mixers spikes your sugar, pushing you into that 'feel good' place your body likes. You end up fighting your brain's reward center. Drinks like scotch on the rocks, or a vodka and soda have less sugar, so are less likely to trigger the reward center.

You are in BC, so if you ever find yourself in Bellevue, WA, check out http://www.2020lifestyles.com/2020Programs/2020Lifestyles/Seminars/tabid/304/Default.aspx

Good luck.
  • Leola2011
    Options
    Look, when I'm on my period, ALL BETS ARE OFF! I cheat...because I'M HUNGRY! I'm fortunate not to have one of those miserable periods where I'm incapacitated for days, but by the second day I'm gonna need somebody to get out of my way while I enjoy this piece of cake, or this plate of mac and cheese, or this mixing bowl full of cereal!

My point is, I am learning not to apologize for those moments when I'm tired, weak, or feel like letting my hair down for a spell. But it's only for a spell, and then it's time to put my big girl pants back on and keep it moving.

Write yourself a permission slip and get back in the saddle. One monkey don't stop no show!