Calf compression sleeves, Do they Help?

MattHilburn
MattHilburn Posts: 17 Member
edited February 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Strained my calf running. Do calf compression sleeves help? Feedback if you use them would be appreciated

Thanks

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    I believe the science behind it is lacking. However, the placebo effect can be strong and the science isn't 100% definitive. It doesn't hurt to try them.

FWIW - I own some and occasionally use them. But only when my calves are sore - not when I may be injured. Strained calf sounds like a couple days off with ice, advill, and foam rolling (another thing that feels good but the science... :wink: ).
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I believe the science behind it is lacking. However, the placebo effect can be strong and the science isn't 100% definitive. It doesn't hurt to try them.

Agreed.

Most of what I've read suggests there's more benefit/credibility to wearing them as a recovery aid between workouts than anything else... personal preference aside.
  • MattHilburn
    Thanks for the help
  • MattHilburn
    Update bought one seems to help with the pain of walking. Pain not completely gone but seems to be helping
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    I recently started wearing knee length compression socks while running. My doctor suggested trying them because I have really low blood pressure and so running makes my feet/ankles and fingers swell up. I didn’t start wearing them for sore calves, but I haven’t had sore calves since I started wearing them. Having said that I don’t think they’ll solve an injury.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    I recently started wearing knee length compression socks while running. My doctor suggested trying them because I have really low blood pressure and so running makes my feet/ankles and fingers swell up. I didn’t start wearing them for sore calves, but I haven’t had sore calves since I started wearing them. Having said that I don’t think they’ll solve an injury.

I wear them for mountain walks and running as well as my blood pressure tends to drop suddenly with these activities, resulting in a drop in heartrate, which is not what I want when being active. Keeps it in check. I noticed they might help when I moved from a colder area to a warmer one and could not run the slightest uphill slope anymore and always felt like hr was too low. I was wearing very tight and stiff winter running leggins in the colder place but not the new one.