Meat Free Diets

2»

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    I like the old Moosewood cookbooks. Also, an old cookbook called The Electric Vegetarian. There are also a few slow cooker vegetarian cookbooks, which may be helpful.

If you like Indian food, there are lots of vegetarian options.

I've been a vegetarian for 44 years, but healthy eating was not a priority for me (unfortunately).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    I like the old Moosewood cookbooks. Also, an old cookbook called The Electric Vegetarian. There are also a few slow cooker vegetarian cookbooks, which may be helpful.

If you like Indian food, there are lots of vegetarian options.

I've been a vegetarian for 44 years, but healthy eating was not a priority for me (unfortunately).

Yes, the first Moosewood cookbook is a classic! I use their Bean Salad recipe as a base for the bean salad I bring to summer potlucks every year and adapt their Best Ever Pea Soup recipe into my own Best Ever Pea Soup.

I like the Apple Crisp too, and don't think I tweak that one nearly as much if at all.

My library system carries the original Moosewood Cookbook and several others by that author.
  • blackcatfitness
    blackcatfitness Posts: 57 Member
    2020 is year 3 eating a plant based diet. I’ve never felt better, honestly. Down 90lbs
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I’m not strictly vegetarian but I’m delving into the pescatarian aspect. I don’t eat meat typically anyway. But I just picked up two books one is vegan keto, one is vegetarian keto. Got some great recipes I’m wanting to try. My husband is vegetarian has been for 28 years. So I cook a lot of vegetarian meals anyway. Our favorite is dorito salad made with veggie crumbles, avacado and cheese!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    I’m not strictly vegetarian but I’m delving into the pescatarian aspect. I don’t eat meat typically anyway. But I just picked up two books one is vegan keto, one is vegetarian keto. Got some great recipes I’m wanting to try. My husband is vegetarian has been for 28 years. So I cook a lot of vegetarian meals anyway. Our favorite is dorito salad made with veggie crumbles, avacado and cheese!

If you happen to decide to go full vegan keto (no fish, no eggs, no dairy), please come back in 6 months and let us know how it went. We get a fair amount of posts from people asking about vegan keto, but don't hear from long term adherents.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Thanks from me too!
    Can that be turned vegan by subbing the parmesan or leaving it out entirely?

@ReenieHJ I think the original recipe called for vegan parmesan. If you don't have access (I know nowhere around here carries it) I'd probably just sub with nutritional yeast, or leave it out entirely. :)