Trying to lose pregnancy weight while breastfeeding

Hello, I’m going back to work soon and want to lose the last 5kg which is difficult. I cut down on my calories but I faced many problems. One of the problems is that I get very very hungry especially between meals, even after snacking “sensibly”. What kind of snacks can I eat between meals so that I can make it to the next meal? The hunger is terrible especially after I pump milk. Also I tried to exercise eg running and doing squats. I end up feeling really giddy because the sugar level is Low. Currently I’m keeping my calories below 1500 if possible. Thank you

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Up until a few minutes ago, I was under the belief that breastfeeding helps you lose some of your pregnancy weight. Enter a much-cited Nature article...

"The relationship between breastfeeding and postpartum weight change—a systematic review and critical evaluation" (2014)
    https://www.nature.com/articles/ijo2013132

But it's best to check in with your healthcare team (including your OB/Gyn and your baby's new pediatrician) about what will best work for the two of you.

• Jessicalaing2012
    Jessicalaing2012 Posts: 14 Member
    For me I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 3 month old baby & I stay around 1800-1840 calories (for the research I did most articles say to stay within this range (no less) to eat daily to keep your milk supply. I've had no issues thankfully yet with my supply & I'm seeing progress (199 lbs on 11/30/19 to now @ 172.8). I've been buying peanuts, cashews, protein shakes, granola bars, 100 calorie popcorn, chocolate rice cakes just some examples of my snacks. 😊
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    How many weeks postpartum are you? I found my hunger was through the roof while my milk supply was being established up to 8 weeks at least. I went with it and kept my calories at maintenance during that time. For me trying to fight it was a losing battle!

Also under 1500 is really low for someone breastfeeding especially so it's probably why you are feeling hungry. I would definitely up those calories
  • sunnydaysagainz
    sunnydaysagainz Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like I need to eat more since I’m breastfeeding. Probably cannot lose weight for the time being
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2020
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like I need to eat more since I’m breastfeeding. Probably cannot lose weight for the time being

Breastfeeding burns calories though, that's why you need to eat more. I've seen many women here say they set their account to maintenance and ate those calories, and let the breastfeeding create their deficit.

Unfortunately, without knowing your stats, how long postpartum you are, how long you've been trying to eat so little, etc it's hard to suggest much

If you only have 5 kg left to lose, it's going to go very slow, like 0.5 lbs per week. That little bit of weight can easily hide behind water weight fluctuations in the scale for weeks at a time, so you need to be patient. Congrats and good luck