I'm back and trying to combat my BED

Options
Hello,

I'm back and I'm 60 days strong. 21 out of the 60 days I binged and ate way over my calorie goal. I am proud to say that I tracked all of the binges... albeit not always during but i accounted for it after. Amazingly in the first 30 days I lost 20 lbs, and in the last week I had a horrible week, and gained it back. I realy fell off the rails here and let my binge eating disorder (BED) get the best of me. That being said it is interesting to see how I have tracked it and now I can become more accomtable for it.

I am open to any strategies anyone has to combat the binge eating episodes. I have been doing some intermittent fasting and staying around a 1700-1800 net calorie goal and had a lot of success for 36/57 days. The other 21 I had some binge behavior. I am trying to lose weight so I can be competitive on my bike again and get back into racing so I have come here looking for support and a place to entertain new mental strategies for success!

Thanks!

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,693 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Let's start with the most basics of the basics.

While I am sure that part of your 20lbs lost during the first 30 days was "water weight", i.e. non fat related changes in weight, the simple fact is that a 20lb change is an indication of a large caloric imbalance.

If this were all fat weight, you would be talking deficits in the order of 2333 Cal a day.

So really. Your first step is to minimize the binges. And there is a reason it is called a restrict - binge cycle.

If I were prone to binging I would NOT be applying large deficits.

So. How to minimise restrict - binge cycles?

Start by not restricting.

If this means eating at maintenance, then that's the first step. Then, when you're binge behaviour free, you can move on to a -250 deficit. Then a -500 deficit if things are holding up. Backtrack if they aren't.

If you can't stabilize at maintenance, then this would be an extremely strong indication that it's a job that requires some outside assistance to resolve!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Let's start with the most basics of the basics.

While I am sure that part of your 20lbs lost during the first 30 days was "water weight", i.e. non fat related changes in weight, the simple fact is that a 20lb change is an indication of a large caloric imbalance.

If this were all fat weight, you would be talking deficits in the order of 2333 Cal a day.

So really. Your first step is to minimize the binges. And there is a reason it is called a restrict - binge cycle.

If I were prone to binging I would NOT be applying large deficits.

So. How to minimise restrict - binge cycles?

Start by not restricting.

If this means eating at maintenance, then that's the first step. Then, when you're binge behaviour free, you can move on to a -250 deficit. Then a -500 deficit if things are holding up. Backtrack if they aren't.

If you can't stabilize at maintenance, then this would be an extremely strong indication that it's a job that requires some outside assistance to resolve!

I have no idea why anyone would disagree with this advice, because it is spot on.