which would you go with?

Options
I have two sets of scales one and one says I'm 158lb and the other 150lb so was wondering which one I should go with the one rhat says higher is a weight watchers digital (the sort that says a different weight everytime you stand on it and the other is a analog.

Which would you stick with?

Replies

• kaitee24
    kaitee24 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which would be more accurate, I think the important thing is to just pick one and stick with it. It may not be dead on accurate but you will be able to keep accurate count of your progress. Good luck!!!
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Place a ten pound weight on both scales and see how accurate they are... then go with the one that is closest to being correct.
  • katfaulkner
    katfaulkner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If your is like mine you may want to check the batteries. if not go with the weightwatcher one. it may be higher but it probably more accurate and hey if not any you weigh less at a doctor office then WAY to go.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Put a 5 pound weight on each and see how accurate they are. Whoops someone beat me to the punch!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My guess is the digital one is more accurate. How old is the spring scale?
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't really matter as long as you use the same one every time.

I would rely more on measurements, an inch is an inch is an inch...
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    ... why has putting a weight on a scale to ck it NEVER occured to me? LOL! i'm feeling a little... special right now.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Agree put a weight on them.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My friend has a digital scale and it said she was 185lbs. She then went the doctors 3 days later and was weighed at 174.
    The doctors always use analog because they don't have batteries to alter the accuracy.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    The digital scale is going to be more accurate. So I'd probably go with that one.
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    A scale is more inaccurate the closer you are to its maximum in either direction. So calibrating a scale with a 10 lb weight when it is designed to go up to maybe 300 lbs doesn't really indicate accuracy. It may be much further from an accurate display at 150 lbs than it is at 10. I would use the one that is most consistent. If you step on it 10 times and it is always the same weight, that is a much better indicator. Using those figure will give you an accurate view of lbs lost.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    ... why has putting a weight on a scale to ck it NEVER occured to me? LOL! i'm feeling a little... special right now.

It never occurred to me to do that either! lol
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    LOL I never thought of that. So simple yet so clever. :-)
    Place a ten pound weight on both scales and see how accurate they are... then go with the one that is closest to being correct.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    A scale is more inaccurate the closer you are to its maximum in either direction. So calibrating a scale with a 10 lb weight when it is designed to go up to maybe 300 lbs doesn't really indicate accuracy. It may be much further from an accurate display at 150 lbs than it is at 10. I would use the one that is most consistent. If you step on it 10 times and it is always the same weight, that is a much better indicator. Using those figure will give you an accurate view of lbs lost.

I was just going to post something similar to this. I also once thought putting weight on the scale would be a great idea to figure which is correct. And to my surprise, both scales I used read 20lbs when I put a 20lb dumbbell on there. Yet when I stepped on they would read 10-15 lbs difference.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which would be more accurate, I think the important thing is to just pick one and stick with it. It may not be dead on accurate but you will be able to keep accurate count of your progress. Good luck!!!

Ditto
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Problem with my WW scale is it's different every time I step on it and actually where on the tile it sits... I would love to find one I can trust too!
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I would throw them both away and buy a new one.
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Don't trust just a 10pm weight because a scale can be more accurate at lower weights but be off at higher ones. The one at our gym says 12kg, but when I step on I am over half a stone lighter than at home, and so is my friend
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Sorry I forgot to say how I know this - my father has a business where they weigh out in 100 weights and have to have their scales recalibrated regularly so the.y are legal. What about one in a pharmacy, slot run style, they have a responsibility to be accurate because of dosages!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    For those of us with uneven floors.... get a chunk of nice flat hardwood (not pine) about 14" x 14" (or smaller if your scale is smaller) to put under the scale. I know that if I move my bathroom scale just 2 inches in any direction I get a different reading because of the uneven linoleum floor.