Looking for a buddy : I need to lose 30lb

I was pretty disgusted with myself this time 2 years ago when I reached my All time heaviest, I kicked myself and managed to lose 15lb or so, last year I was supposed to lose the rest and I really have no excuse... I just spent last year gaining it all back even though I knew it was happening I couldn’t seem to motivate myself.

This January I got on the scales and after Christmas nothing no owned fitted, I’d topped my heaviest weight by another 10lb , I’ve just started a new job and I’ve had to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe of clothes... it’s so frustrating and I’m so disappointed with myself.

I have been trying to diet since jan, but I seem to do well for a few days and then go off the rails I feel like I start again every morning.

I was trying to do it without logging but it’s just not working .. so here I am again.

I need friends who will kick me anyone up for a challenge?

Replies

• amy75broome
    amy75broome Posts: 1 Member
    Same here
  • meegerzeb
    meegerzeb Posts: 12 Member
    I gained about 25 lb in the past 6 months. I would love some accountability to get it off again! Please feel free to add me!
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    I gained about 30+lbs 4 years ago after I had a torn ACL, surgery and a long recovery. Not that I gained the 30+lbs in the course of a few months, but the knee injury was the thing that tripped me and put me on a lazy/eating mode. The actual gain was a gradual thing that just crept over the years - and it had already begun as at the time I had put on already about 25+lbs since starting my job.
    Now I'm sitting about 52lbs from where I want to be ideally. I've already lost 8.4lbs over the course of 1 month of logging into MFP and upping my activities.

Please feel free to add me :)
  • bubkish7312
    bubkish7312 Posts: 6 Member
    Hello,
    I am struggling with some awful binging since last year.
    Here is my story. I managed to lose a lot of weight for a short period with counting macros and calories. And of course a lot of exercising. I pushed myself so hard guided online by a couch. I had an amazing results , but I just had to stop at some point which I didn't do. So my period stopped (luckily I got it back after two month with pills and food). And then the weight gain started very fast. I got all my kilos back and more of course :)
    I have always has a sweet tooth but now my binging was getting out of control.
    So now I am feeling stuck with good workouts and o.k. eating during the day but awful meals at evenings with lots of sugars and so on. So I am bloated in the mornings and can not lose any weight.
    I am looking for some kind of support here. Maybe by putting some personal goals together or by some kind of challenging ourselves together.
    I am going to the gym to run on the treadmill in my lunch break. I haven't done any runs for a few months.
    Are you doing any sports activities today?
    Have a great day. Hope to be added here!

• cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    I'll join you. I have 30lbs to lose. The first 15lbs is the most important as that will put me (just) back into healthy BMI range. The next 15 lbs will get me into the middle of healthy BMI and back to the weight I was throughout my twenties thirties and early forties. My weight crept on during my late forties, about 2-3lb per year so I didn't;t really notice. But a friend took some photos of us last week and I looked like a whale beside her. So shocked into action!

I find a light version of low carb works best as it cuts out cravings. I do feel hungry but not the kind of hinger that makes you want to eat the fridge.

Finding it hard to exercise now as I have a foot injury but went to yoga this morning and hobbled home on foot instead of accepting a lift, as it was a stunning sunny morning with daffodils and snowdrops out on the village green, which made it worthwhile.
  • Amjcance
    Amjcance Posts: 35 Member
    I am in - I lost 23 lbs in 2018 only to slowly gain it back in 2019 and now I am back to the original weight. Everything is tight on me and I am thoroughly frustrated with myself but I have a 17 year old daughter so I try to keep "dieting" on the down low. I'd like it to be more of a life change to be healthier. In Feb of 2018, I started Keto and it worked great. I wasn't working out but the lbs were shedding. I loved it. For anyone who has done Keto you really have to plan your meals each week and if the family isn't all in you have to be strong and avoid some of the old things you may have loved. My biggest issue is potatoes - I love them so my plan this time around is going Keto again (hardcore for two weeks) but then have potatoes on and off. The other downfall is beer and wine. I know there are plenty of Keto friendly drinks I just don't like them as much. If I am going to drink I want to enjoy it. My last challenge is I am an extremely picky eater. It's easier to list the veggies I do like: spinach, romaine lettuce, carrots (no no on keto), broccoli. I like them all raw nothing cooked.

Okay, so that is my rant -

@cherys - totally get the foot injury. I have an ankle issue that keeps setting me back but I started using some CBD/THC lotion and it helps a ton. I know if I lose some LBs it will help the ankle tremendously.
    @ktsj2015 - I am in - how should we do this?
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    I totally get it - I’ve got 30lbs to lose as well. At my heaviest now, but every time I think “that’s it, I’m gonna do it” it only last for a couple of days.
    I’d love for someone to keep me in check, communicate daily and motivate me - and I will do the same in return!
  • vicm5395
    vicm5395 Posts: 2 Member
    I’m in! I have about 25lbs left to lose after losing 35lbs. Would love to join everyone here and get these last few lbs. off!
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    @vic5395 well done on your loss so far. That's impressive. Are you following a specific diet or just logging food?
  • samaharapaz555
    samaharapaz555 Posts: 1 Member
    I’m in the same boat. Been gaining since I got married, making every excuse in the book. I have depression, and I also struggle with binge eating a lot! I feel like I’m in a spiral of self sabotage. I lose 10-12 lbs then gain it all back. I was feeling very good and confident, and I let go around the holidays to now back to my heaviest at 180lbs (I’m 5’7). Always being very skinny, I now feel bad and my confidence in at its lowest. I want to feel healthy, beautiful, and just me again. I’m also not 22 years old anymore, so i don’t know if it’s realistic to want to go back to 120-130 lbs, but that’s the goal. I wanna keep small, attainable goals so I can make life changes versus just continue on restrictive diets. I need all the help I can get. So I’m up for a challenge of keeping each other accountable!!!
  • Jesi1011
    Jesi1011 Posts: 200 Member
    I’m in the same situation. I also need some one to get me in gear! Add me and maybe we can do this together!
  • Meowwisonn
    Meowwisonn Posts: 4 Member
    Add me! Also need motivation to lose about 30! We got this :)
  • vicvata
    vicvata Posts: 1 Member
    Please add me as well! I’ve been on medication that causes me to slowly gain weight regardless of what I do. I’ve tried to change meds, but that didn’t work. So now I’m trying to really focus on the food/bev. Having others that are on the same journey, I hope I can help others as well as get the support as well.

Let’s do this!
  • Amjcance
    Amjcance Posts: 35 Member
    How's everyone doing, today?
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    Hello,
    I am struggling with some awful binging since last year.
    Here is my story. I managed to lose a lot of weight for a short period with counting macros and calories. And of course a lot of exercising. I pushed myself so hard guided online by a couch. I had an amazing results , but I just had to stop at some point which I didn't do. So my period stopped (luckily I got it back after two month with pills and food). And then the weight gain started very fast. I got all my kilos back and more of course :)
    I have always has a sweet tooth but now my binging was getting out of control.
    So now I am feeling stuck with good workouts and o.k. eating during the day but awful meals at evenings with lots of sugars and so on. So I am bloated in the mornings and can not lose any weight.
    I am looking for some kind of support here. Maybe by putting some personal goals together or by some kind of challenging ourselves together.
    I am going to the gym to run on the treadmill in my lunch break. I haven't done any runs for a few months.
    Are you doing any sports activities today?
    Have a great day. Hope to be added here!

Hey there. I have really similar (or identical) past experience, except that now I can happily say that I have not experienced a severe binge (which I gauge more by the stress that comes with it, than food intake) for quite some time. I would love to connect with you and chat about what I learned and the mistakes I made along the way, so maybe you can avoid the same mistakes. I will send you a FR.

The short of it, for anyone tuned in, is that there are no shortcuts. Having lost so much weight in the past can leave you thinking "why don't I have the discipline I had then (when I was basically anorexic)" Binging is nothing more than a symptom of anxiety, maybe about food itself. Usually follows after restricting. Eat enough food. Every meal. That is the first key step. Don't get wrapped up in thoughts of restriction. The failure leads to anxiety and leads to binging, purging, stress, and no weight loss!
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Me too!
    Good for a couple days, then sabotage myself with bingeing. This despite planning, exercising, drinking lots of fluids & having myriad reasons why I need to follow through.
  • pandagalaxy
    pandagalaxy Posts: 19 Member
    I've been doing this awhile like most people here, at my heaviest I was 180lbs which was not good for me at all. This time I'm trying to focus on eating according to the macro/micro tracking within my calories on MFP and just healthier in general. I was good at getting enough fiber but without protein it did nothing and now that I'm eating HUGE meals with protein and fiber and all the good stuff in it...like actual vegetables that I never gave the time of day before. I've lost 5lbs since I started taking this seriously again (after having slowly gained 10+lbs from September onward last year).

I'm seeing the trend that once summer hits it's easy enough to get my weight to go down (A LOT of working out while back country camping/hiking/portaging). Then once September hits (my birthDAY that I treat like a birthMONTH free for all treats) I tend to allow myself more and more than what I need through the holiday season and even past new years. I had started running again in the fall but I had to have wisdom teeth pulled and it was extremely painful and sensitive for 1-2 months after and I was scared to exercise too soon after that, so I didn't.

I've just made a lot of poor choices that looking back I realize were terrible (hello, buying 'seasonal candy' like every holiday!..) but I'm trying to make better choices now and hope that it sticks. I also would like to have more strength because I am weak. I would love to be able to do a pull up.

I'm 5'3" and weight 149.8lbs now, my next goal is to get to the 130s and then the far off goal is 115lbs (which I haven't been since literally a child). If anyone wants to friend/chat I am on MFP pretty much every day logging my food and stuff lol. Trying to stay positive and make smart choices. :)
  • Roxie8611
    Roxie8611 Posts: 39 Member
    Add me too- I also have about 30lbls left to lose, ideally by the summer :)
  • Add me