Ugh! Im just stuck!

Options
So. I have lost 50 pounds this year....which is awesome, I know. But about 3 or 4 months this year have been straight pleateau...including the past two months.
I know I dont workout 5 days a week anymore, and i eat 1400 cals instead of 1200, but I should still be losing weight, and Im not. Im stuck at 180 and fluctiate to 183ish. Im tired of seeing the 8....
My problem is, I am so unmotivated to start working out again. Its like I workout maybe 3 times a week.
Also I have been doing a lot of weight training the past two months, and i Know I HAVE gone down a size, but the weight thing is just pissing me off.
I KNOW "weight is just a number" blahblahblah,
Any suggestions to either a way to motivate myself, get my weight loss jump started again?

Thanks in Adavance!

Replies

• Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    If you are weight training you are probably gaining muscle weight. Remember muscle burns calories faster than fat. Grow that muscle and burn the rest off. Don't lose hope. You CAN do this.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Took a quick glimpse at your diary. I noticed you do not log everyday. Are you keeping track someway else? If not this may be the reason you are not losing. Perhaps you are eating more cals than you think you are?
  • TOBUNNZYE
    Options
    get some of your favorite, fast music and dance, dance, dance!!! i'm talking your own dancing, with nobody around.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I see your diary isn't showing your sugar and sodium intake? Maybe set it to show that and see if you're going over those regularly? When I started trying to watch sodium more closely, I saw an improvement in results.

A lot of people talk about zig-zagging calorie intake too...might help to stimulate your metabolism a little and get it moving in the right direction!

Congrats on the 50 lost, and don't get discouraged...with hard work and sticking to it, you will see progress again!
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Definitely try a new workout plan. What types of exercises are you interested in? A healthy balance between resistance training and cardio will give you the best results. Just gotta try you on something that you'll enjoy and stick with.
  • Toonica
    Toonica Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    are you retaining water? watch your salt intake and continue to drink plenty water:smile:
  • fultzjaf
    fultzjaf Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    So. I have lost 50 pounds this year....which is awesome, I know. But about 3 or 4 months this year have been straight pleateau...including the past two months.
    I know I dont workout 5 days a week anymore, and i eat 1400 cals instead of 1200, but I should still be losing weight, and Im not. Im stuck at 180 and fluctiate to 183ish. Im tired of seeing the 8....
    My problem is, I am so unmotivated to start working out again. Its like I workout maybe 3 times a week.
    Also I have been doing a lot of weight training the past two months, and i Know I HAVE gone down a size, but the weight thing is just pissing me off.
    I KNOW "weight is just a number" blahblahblah,
    Any suggestions to either a way to motivate myself, get my weight loss jump started again?

Thanks in Adavance!

Bump. I have the same problem, minus the weight lifting. I'm just plain stuck and can't go down and get discouraged because when I am under everything I still don't lose weight!
  • Nadine32
    Nadine32 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, Ijust had the exact problem. I lost 26 and since May haven't lost a pound. Im 160 and 5foot 8. I contacted a personal trainer and she said to go to 1600 cals one day, 1800 the next and 2000 the next. (I run every day and weight lift twice a week) She said to do this for a month and then go back to the 1200 cals/day. Im not sure of your stats, but maybe upping your cal intake and rotating might help? I am doing it because quite frankly I am so disappointed with no weight loss that I am willing to try anything!!!!
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Everyone plateaus. It goes with the territory. I've been reading a lot about it. It may have to do with your liver dumping cholesterol. Muscle gain is nominal, 1-2 pounds a month, so if you lose 8 pounds of fat muscle gain won't offset that. Water retention is more likely. Cut down on salt and drink more water. You'll break through the plateau soon, just don't give up. My last 2 month plateau ended with 7 pounds in one week.
  • Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    No I eat the same amount everyday, Over the past 9 months I have pretty much learned what combinations I can eat without going over. More often than not I am probably not eating anough calories. Its hard for me to log in everyday now that I started my new job, Im just exhausted! plus I have a 15 month old who demands 200% of my attention, lol. And you know, its kind of like with my exercise, i just cant get back into it, i dont know whats up.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I'm stuck too. Ive been at 29 pounds down for 3 weeks now. It's driving me crazy. I drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. I exercise 4-5 times per week. I eat around 1200 calories per day as MFP suggests. My problem also seems to be constipation. Now that I eat less I just don't go to the bathroom often. So after a few days it appears I have gained weight even though I really didn't. I bought some metamucil today hoping it will help. Good luck trying to break the plateau. Eventually something has got to give.
  • Candies90
    Options
    maybe you should sneak in a bit more exercise and also, look for funny motivational quotes like - Those who indulge, bulge. Anonymous or Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator. Anonymous

i used to be stuck at 91kg but this summer i took on skipping and i do tae-bo everyday
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Hi, Ijust had the exact problem. I lost 26 and since May haven't lost a pound. Im 160 and 5foot 8. I contacted a personal trainer and she said to go to 1600 cals one day, 1800 the next and 2000 the next. (I run every day and weight lift twice a week) She said to do this for a month and then go back to the 1200 cals/day. Im not sure of your stats, but maybe upping your cal intake and rotating might help? I am doing it because quite frankly I am so disappointed with no weight loss that I am willing to try anything!!!!

I got the same advice from the nutritionist. I was running 2 miles 7 days a week and sticking to about 1400 calories and losing nothing. I upped it to 1600-1800 and took a week off for my knee to recover. I am back to 4 days a week, and gained 2 lbs. :( I am looking forward to cutting back and working out more. Let me know how you do with this program.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I've heard a few ppl say cut something. Cut out dairy, fried foods, sugar or carbs. Cut something out and it should break the plateau
    drink lots of water & try yoga or meditation for stress - stress can cause weight gain/hold (something about cortisol)
  • Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The stress might be it to. I mean its simple science....burn more cals than you take in...even working out 3 days a week i should be down SOEMTHING. damn scale.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    You have lost a lot of weigh this year and I congratulate you on that. During this time your metabolism has adjusted and I would guess it is running slow which is creating your exhaustion. Metabolsim is key to weightloss so you need to do everything you can to help it recover. Figure your BMR and eat that for six days and then one day a week eat 2x your BMR. Set your protein goal to 30% minimum. Keep carbs low except for your spike day.