Post swimming - I'm starving

I've only been swimming twice so far in 2 weeks. Week 1 I managed 300m and week 2 I managed 775m. But I'm absolutely ravenous about half hour after I have finished. Any idea on a meal that would help curb that as I dont want to undo all the work I just put in... thanks x

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Eating the foods isn't going to undo the work you've put in... Just log your calories, stay within your goal and eat the foods. :smiley: If you're hungry a half hour after, then have food then!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    When I was swimming regularly I would go to the pool in the morning before eating, then eat a good sized lunch as soon as I left. You just have to figure out how to time your meals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I've only been swimming twice so far in 2 weeks. Week 1 I managed 300m and week 2 I managed 775m. But I'm absolutely ravenous about half hour after I have finished. Any idea on a meal that would help curb that as I dont want to undo all the work I just put in... thanks x

You're supposed to account for exercise activity by logging it and eating back calories to fuel that activity...it isn't undoing anything. Training and exercise require fuel. If anything, not fueling your exercise will impede recovery and fitness progress.

I typically meal plan around exercise. If I go to a 10 am spin class on Saturday morning, I typically have something small for breakfast like a Greek yogurt around 8:30 am so I'm not too full to spin...go spin and get a smoothie from the smoothie bar at the gym and then go home and have lunch for example. If I road ride in the morning, I usually do so fasted and then come home and have breakfast...etc, etc, etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited February 2020
    I first want to make sure you are eating the calories you earned from swimming.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

If you already are doing that, try drinking immediately afterwards - swimming is dehydrating, and often the thirst cue is mistaken for hunger.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    @kshama2001

That hotlink you keep using is dead...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    @kshama2001

That hotlink you keep using is dead...

Thanks! Guess the MFP devs have never heard of 301 redirects...

Here's the new link and I will update it above and in my doc:

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I've been swimming for 23 years. Yes, it's very dehydrating, so drink something right after. I go to the pool at 8:30 in the morning 3 times a week. I'm 65 and cannot do it fasted, so I eat a light breakfast an hour before--usually overnite oats or greek yogurt with a banana and chia seeds. As soon as I finish I have 1 jelly candy and water. When I get home around 11:00 I have my snack. I think it depends a lot on what time of day you swim, and then just have to work out when to eat around it. Eat back your exercise calories for swimming and log everything carefully. Good luck!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    I agree with you on the hunger thing! I started swimming regularly about a month ago, swimming about 3 times a week. I have something protein heavy as im leaving the gym, either a protein smoothie/ shake, protein bar, or egg bites. Seriously helps get through the rest of the day!
  • Jennyellen87
    Jennyellen87 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you everyone for all your advice. I will take it on board and tailor my food intake in a more structured way rather than winging it.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Something that helps me with exercise is making sure to eat well about an hour before exercising. I try to get a good mix of protein and carbohydrates. The carbs give me immediate energy for the exercise, and the protein sustains me through to the end. I’m still pretty hungry about an hour afterwards, but I’m less ravenous and it takes longer for the hunger to set in.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Definitely have a good drink of water afterwards, I'm always super thirsty afterwards and it just feels like I'm hungry.