Stress eating (like serious stress eating)

Options
So my husband and I have been under large amounts of stress over the last 5-6 years. 75% of my weight gain can be pin pointed to the stressful times in our lives.

Anyway I do not deal well with stress. I'm lousy at it frankly. And it results in me eating my emotions... ALOT.

Are there any other stress eaters here? What did you do during those times to stay on track.

I seem to do okay with my nutrition when times are good. It's the stress eating that results in me packing it on to the point I can't get it off between stressful times and so it just piling on now.

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a stress emotional eater. It's challenging to gain control over. If you can possibly find other ways to deal with stress, try alternate methods first. Dance, walk, journal, plug into some relaxing music or sounds, talk to dh or a close friend. Try to confront the stressful issues head-on and deal with them. Stress will never disappear, emotions will never disappear, so we have to change the ways we react to them.(so easy to say....)

I retired in May but until then, my job caused me a lot of stress and anxiety, so I handled it by eating. And since I worked at home, I constantly was around food. And since part of my job was feeding kids, I ate mostly what they ate. Not a good scenario. But once my stress lifted, I was able to find a way out of the eating rut I had created. I still have days where I binge and don't even know why. But, for the most part, I'm happy where I'm at now.

Wishing you the best of luck in gaining control!!
  • wwwtheselion11
    wwwtheselion11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    When im stressed out, or frustrated. I usually work out. An clear my mind. To concentrate on my work out. Then after i relax, an chill to some music. Just remember stress is energy building up. If you have the energy to eat. That food should be given you the energy to burn that stress an food off. If not then you will stress about not fitting into clothes. I been there.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    So my husband and I have been under large amounts of stress over the last 5-6 years. 75% of my weight gain can be pin pointed to the stressful times in our lives.

Anyway I do not deal well with stress. I'm lousy at it frankly. And it results in me eating my emotions... ALOT.

Are there any other stress eaters here? What did you do during those times to stay on track.

I seem to do okay with my nutrition when times are good. It's the stress eating that results in me packing it on to the point I can't get it off between stressful times and so it just piling on now.

omg, I am the worst stress eater. i think I've gained 30 pounds in the past year from stress eating. I'm trying to focus on the gym to relieve my stress.
  • SlayLikeAWarrior
    SlayLikeAWarrior Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Be intentional. When you get that urge to want to, find healthy ways such as going for a walk with your husband or by yourself, exercise for 5-10mins if needed to burn that energy. If you snack because you are hungry avoid eating out of the snack container. Put the bag or container away once you take out what you need. Be sure to weigh to you are still tracking.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    I stress eat that's what I do! I try to avoid it by going for a walk, or pacing instead.

And also try to convert it to lower-calorie items. And of course log.

And of course move meals if I've already eaten the calories which is something that I did not use to do when I was obese.

I mean I just had a handful of hazelnuts and some chocolate. Planned lunch is moving to dinner.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a stress eater for sure. Regular daily exercise helps manage the basic stress. Understanding the problem so that if I do end up stress eating I am doing so with things like celery and carrot sticks and not nuts or chocolate. I also try to find alternate ways to manage stress when i notice the stress munchies come on. Often times a walk will do the trick.
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am a stress/emotional eater/binger. It's been a struggle, but back when I first started using MFP it got me to learn how to be mindful about food. So, binging is now quite under control - I was just saying in another thread, that I haven't had a binge in maybe a couple of years. Stress snacking, however... that's what got me back here. Just a piece of candy here, or a few nuts over there, or just a glass of beer, or a piece of cake... and suddenly I'm back to my initial overweight status...

And to be honest, I think I'm already beyond stress but threading closer to complete burnout. So this time around I'm looking at logging consistently and eating mindfully as a form of self-care. It's not easy, and it's a constant struggle, but I keep on asking myself - do I really need that, do I really want it, do I really want allow X to cause me to eat something that I don't need/want and do more harm than help. And being honest to myself (and mindful about those urges and thoughts) usually allows me to just calm down a little and step away from the food and instead try to get away from the stress in another way - reading, listening to podcasts, cleaning, exercising or going for a walk, or having some me-time with a long shower and full skin/body/hair-care procedure.
  • EdB9992015
    EdB9992015 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am for sure. I put on nearly 40lbs over the last couple of years, which was especially disappointing having nearly gotten myself down to very near my goal weight over the two years previous.
    This lined up with a very stressful work environment over this period as well as a house sale/purchase/move.

When stressed I do tend to reach for the biscuit tin (that is always full stocked in the office) and constantly crave stodgy comforting foods. Of course the problem with this behavior is that its self-compounding as the fatter I get the more stressed and depressed I am, so greater the urge to stuff my face.

While the stressful situation at work hasn’t completely been resolved it has eased slightly and I’ve managed to turn a corner and get the scales heading back in the right direction since Christmas.

The weight gain wasn’t the only effect, it’s amazing the physiological impact it can cause. Not only have I gotten a lot greyer over the last couple years but I kept breaking out in spots/welts as well as getting sty’s on my eyelid.

I’m starting to look into stress management techniques as I don’t think I can cope with this again!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Just in to add meditation as another potential stress-management technique, and it's become more accessible in recent times, with - yep - apps available for that.

Some people are concerned that it will be somehow counter to their spiritual beliefs or traditions . . . but nearly every spiritual tradition includes some form of meditation, and many of the modern versions are not tied to a particular such tradition.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Came back to drop a link. Just saw it today. 3 different 6-minute workouts. Give it a shot!
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/18/well/in-6-minutes-you-can-be-done-with-your-workout.html