Why

Options
Why is it that “getting started” is the hardest part. Once I’m in my gym routine, I’m great but I can’t get my assssss moving....literally. Send help

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    All about forming habits, it takes a while but once you do form a habit it becomes part of your "normal" routine.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    RIGHT?
    That's seems to be how it is with anything worth while (at least for me). You just have to get the mind in the right place for eating right, exercising.
    I have to find ways to make it fun so I will continue it, both with the diet and exercising.
    Just get the mind in the right place and the body will follow.
    Again, that is how it works for me.
    Good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Do you enjoy what you do at the gym? Finding what I truly enjoy exercise wise was pretty much a game changer. Also, finding a gym that really has everything I want was also a game changer. If you like what you're doing, it's something to look forward to.

I use the gym primarily for the weight room except in winter when I do spin classes because it's hard to get out on the bike in winter...otherwise, I love a good road ride or hitting the trails on my mountain bike. I'm also enjoying the weight room more than I have in quite awhile as I'm running a program I really like...but also enjoy hanging out in the sauna afterwards and getting a hydro massage. Looking forward to a little pampering after a workout gets me in there.
  • wwwtheselion11
    wwwtheselion11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I find it to be focused on the mind controls your body. If you think ,you can do it. Then do it. I'm about to get my second workout in. Why, because my mind is pushing me too loose weight
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    One of the secrets of establishing a new habit or restarting an old one is to reduce the number of steps it takes to engage in it. Get every little thing you can done in advance. Pack your gym bag, lay out your clothes, fill your water bottle, etc.

The more things that stand in your way, even seemingly insignificant things, the more chances you give yourself not to follow through. Also, once I start preparing for something it is like I have signed a contract to actually do it. If I do not follow through and I have to put the clothes back away and unpack the gym bag it feels like a bigger letdown.

• JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You have to change your mindset and make working out and eating right a priority. I am sure there are days you wake up not wanting to go to work but you go because if you just stop going to work the consequence is you will probably get fired, so that is a priority. The same thing has to be done with this part of your life. If you don't take care of your body, what is the consequence? Ultimately it has to be a priority for you otherwise it will be difficult to maintain. Goodluck.