Help: 30 y/o Male w/ Questions

LorenzoMunoz1416
LorenzoMunoz1416 Posts: 2 Member
edited February 2020 in Food and Nutrition
Hey guys, I am currently working out 3 days week (one of which includes a Personal Trainer). I eat 1500/day and honestly feel like crap everyday. I told my personal trainer and he stated that’s nuts. I’m upping it to 2000/day under his advice which I trust in the short time I’ve worked with him.

Will I still hit a calorie deficit by going up to 2000/day? My goal is 165 pounds so I can play sports again athletically. Or is 165 for a male too skinny? (I’m 5’7 if that matter)

Lastly, I do want to be able to play sports like before but, do women my age really not like men that small (weight wise)?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited February 2020
    I'm a middle aged woman and lose weight on 1700 calories per day. The 2000 sounds like it should be right for you, but only time will tell. Based on how you are feeling, the 1500 is probably too low, especially if you weren't eating anything extra for exercise.

ETA: I'm only 5'2"
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Agree with above. I eat on average 1700-1900 cals a day as a 5'4 woman of 155lbs , and still lose. Albeit I work out 6 days a week, so you might want to play around with your caloric intake after trying 2000 for a few weeks, but I gaurentee you will feel better. Plus losing to quick can equal more muscle loss, probably don't want that
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I'm about your height and (goal) weight, but 20+ years older than you. I maintain on about 2200 calories without exercise. With exercise I think it's likely you'll still lose there.

By the way,165 is definitely not too skinny for a male of your height - I personally can stand to lose another 10 lbs.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Depending on your lifestyle, which I'm assuming your trainer knows more about than we do, I think 2000 calories seems perfectly reasonable for weight loss.

I'm a 5'5 woman weighing in at 148# and eating about 2200-2300 calories per day to lose about .5# per week. That said, I'm pretty active, for all that I have a "desk job." I walk my dogs 1.5 miles a day, I walk 3.6 miles home from work, and I go to the gym about 5 days/week for about 30 minutes each visit - alternating between weights and rowing.

So the questions you need to ask and answer for yourself are thus:

*How many calories do you burn in a day? There are a bunch of TDEE calculators online that can help you figure out an estimate based on the kind of job you work and the kinds of things you like to do when you're NOT at work.

*How much weight do you have to lose, and how fast can you safely lose it? (If you have under 20# to lose, I don't recommend losing more than 1 pound per week.) Those TDEE calculators I mentioned above will probably give you a variety of calorie targets to hit depending on how fast you want to lose weight. Again, I HIGHLY recommend going as slow as you can stand to avoid feeling like crap every day and causing garbage gym and sports performance.

How fast were you losing weight at 1500 calories per day? Sorting that out can kind of help you reverse engineer your TDEE if you assume that each pound of weight loss accounts for 3500 less calories than you needed to support that weight.

Anyway, I'm not sure it really matters to any woman what your scale weight is, provided it's in the healthy range. Once you're comfortable with your diet and your training program, you may want to sort out what your body fat percentage is and base your training goals on that rather than a scale number. Or base your end goal on overall sports performance and training goals rather than a scale number. I've generally found that doing one of those things helps me come up with a better plan than any particular number on the scale.

I may be old and jaded, but in general, I think women want a guy who is confident and knows what he wants and how to get it more than they want a guy with a particular size or shape. So figure out what YOU want and go after it. ;-)

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Aim for a weight goal that makes you feel good and is healthy. Women like different things. Don’t change for women. I don’t think that’s too small.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    I'm really glad your Ex wife is an Ex. Sounds like it was a good thing to start over...no one should ever try to make you feel bad about your weight.

Have fun with the new lady. :)
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    First of all, I don’t know where to start with this community. You guys are amazing for getting back to me and your input. It’s almost been a week with that post and I have to be honest, that jump to 2000 calories have made such a difference in my mood. Somehow I even lost two pounds.

I was trying to lose 2 pounds a week (though MyFitnessPal warned me about that)... but somehow lost it anyway.

About the ladies question, thanks guys and ladies for answering that to. Long story short, 10 years of a bad marriage I stopped moving and moved even less 3 years ago after the divorce. I married ambitiously young and forgot about me. I loved sports all my life and I knew I had a problem when I couldn’t run a simple game of basketball without feeling like I was having a heart attack (not an exaggeration), then being diagnosed with high blood pressure I knew something had to change.

Anyway, I haven’t dated or liked anybody in three years until I met Diana. She is such an amazing woman... in short I now remember what it is to have that butterfly in my stomach and ability to gain that bravery to try a relationship again. When I first met her, I knew I’d be a fool if I’d let her walk away without knowing my name, but I’m glad I said hi.

Anyway, she’s never commented about my weight during dates (like my ex wife would about me weighting 180 pounds then). So it’s always in the back of my mind.

Sorry for the long read and the mushy stuff at the end lol.

Would not be super concerned about losing 2 pounds in a week. If this was a longer term trend may be too much for someone your size (if someone is in the higher ranges of obese 2 lbs a week may not be an issue), don't know your current weight.

Weight loss will not be linear week over week.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    So glad you are feeling better! Finding the appropriate deficit is the key to success. People know they should avoid overeating to lose fat. UNDER eating, I truly feel, is equally perilous but often ignored (or encouraged). Good on you for making adjustments and pressing on.

I'm glad also that you are meeting people and having fun. Nooshi is so right -- find the weight that feels good to you! To the extent anyone can make broad sweeping assertions, I'd say women are attracted to happy and healthy more than any particular body type.