Nurses! Have you difficulties to do heathy meals?!

Hello friends!
I'm a practitioner nurse and I have difficulties to maintain healthy routine!
Working at 12h shifts and 36h of rest, maintain the routine is difficult a lot!
Loose weight is more difficult!

Do you have this problems too?!
And...
I forget to drink water... Someone else?!

Am I alone?!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    You just have to plan and prep your meals and snacks on your days off. We have lots of thread on meal prep: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?adv=1&search=&title=meal+prep&author=&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&group_group=1&within=1+day&date=

For water, are you carrying a water bottle around with you?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,365 Member
    I meal prep. All my food for the day comes with me.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I am an RN and works nights. Its a struggle!!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Lost 30 lbs of my 200 at night. Prep and find time saving gadgets and recipes. Floor nurse here.
  • Lovelovegih
    Lovelovegih Posts: 12 Member

Oh.. I do it, too... Sometimes it's difficult maintain snacks on right way!
  • pence429
    pence429 Posts: 28 Member
    This nurse meal preps and drinks tea thru out the shift. I also walk on my breaks (when I get them) and make an effort to walk the long way where ever I go.
  • Lovelovegih
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You just have to plan and prep your meals and snacks on your days off. We have lots of thread on meal prep: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?adv=1&search=&title=meal+prep&author=&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&group_group=1&within=1+day&date=

For water, are you carrying a water bottle around with you?

I have some difficults to maintain my snacks on way... About water I use a bottle... But even have one, I forget! Thanks for your tips!☺️ It's useful!
  • Lovelovegih
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    I am an RN and works nights. Its a struggle!!

I really understand you! Now, I work only at day, but before, I was working at night! And my trouble was in double! Cause the kidney works better when we are laying down. When we work at night, our metabolism get slowly! I understand you! Fight!
  • Lovelovegih
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Lost 30 lbs of my 200 at night. Prep and find time saving gadgets and recipes. Floor nurse here.

Oh!!! You are my hero! Cause when I was working at night, I lost almost nothing, cause the slowly metabolism!
  • Lovelovegih
    pence429 wrote: »
    This nurse meal preps and drinks tea thru out the shift. I also walk on my breaks (when I get them) and make an effort to walk the long way where ever I go.

Good Idea! I'll drink tea! When I'm in the clinic, I walk 11hours of 12 of shift!(1hour to lunch, cause is the law in Brazil) When I'm in the home care, I don't walk, but I need straight to move my patients! Thanks friend!!❤️
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited February 2020
    I feel your pain/struggle. I am an ER PA and work long shifts, swing, nights, days, etc.

Don’t fall into the trap on ordering takeout, sharing potluck food too often, or eating the donuts laying around.

Bring real meals with you and snacks. Never allow yourself to be too hungry to the point of binging and losing willpower. Take things that are easy to eat like nuts, bananas, cuties, etc.

The good news is you are probably very active on shift. Most nurses I know regularly get 12-15000 steps per shift!
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    I work 3rd shift,I do 'Lazy meal prep',.. During my busy weeks,I buy pre-made healthy foods..Bagged salads,naked chicken from Popeyes or Chick file -A,Roasted whole chicken,Soup,portable fruit,pre portioned nuts,protein shakes 2 make protein coffee...I keep my water bottle at the desk,and set a phone reminder to chug it,every hour..
    I also use the down time to walk the halls and get in more steps.
    Find a protein bar that fits your nutrition needs.Keep a few bars,Hard fruit(Apple's last long),and almonds in the car in case you forget your healthy meal..
    If your job allows,keep some frozen chili or soup in the fridge..
    You got this!!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »

Oh!!! You are my hero! Cause when I was working at night, I lost almost nothing, cause the slowly metabolism!

Lol.. Doc. Sorry ma'am, we call NP's Doc's at my work, your metabolism really does not slow down just because it is nighttime. People just tend to gravitate towards higher energy dense foods when working at night. Best of luck ma'am.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member

Oh.. I do it, too... Sometimes it's difficult maintain snacks on right way!

Here are some snack suggestions: hard-boiled eggs, carrots/celery and hummus, small amounts of cheese or nuts and fruit.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Night RN here, and I feel your pain. Just trying to get back into self care, and being and tracking here on MFP after a long break. If anyone is interactive and wants to send me a FR, please feel free!