Recommended hiking boots?

Options
Hi all! I’m looking for some hiking boot recommendations that are not too expensive (because I will wear em out and get quite muddy) that are still comfortable and wide enough not to crush your feet.

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Keen for wide feet
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Keen for wide feet
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I've got a pair of Vasque backpacking boots. They weren't cheap but I've put a lot of miles on them. They're really sturdy and comfortable on my wide feet, now that they're broken in.
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have Merrells with the vibram soul. I love them and we hike often from the time the snow melts in may until it falls again in Otober.
  • jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    It depends what kind of hiking you’re doing and what kind of hiker you are!

I mostly walk in good weather and on reasonable trails and prefer trail-running shoes. I only wear real hiking boots in poor conditions or when I know I’ll be walking on bad/no paths. Some people prefer to wear hiking boots for everything and feel that they protect their ankles - I hate having my ankles constricted and feel like having tons of shoe-sole under my foot makes me less stable in the first place. It’s worth experimenting (though please be sensible and don’t take any big risks!).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is how they fit, so you been to try them on.

A pound on your feet is like ten on your back, get the lightest ones that are practical for you.

+1

Like running shoes good fit is everything. You won't be thinking about the $$ you saved when you're getting blisters
    after a few miles.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I have merrels and I love them! If you have weak ankles, get some high tops. If i'm just walking, I can use my walking shoes but when I get into hiking with hills, mountains, rocks, unsteady terrain, creek crossing etc I need the high tops.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have Vasque, Merrills, Keen, Oboz, and Salomon. I've even been know to hike in rainboots. ( I live near the Smokies and hike a lot) Love them all but the trail and the weather determine what I wear. The key is not only to get the right fit but make sure they are laced properly.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is how they fit, so you been to try them on.

A pound on your feet is like ten on your back, get the lightest ones that are practical for you.

+1

Like running shoes good fit is everything. You won't be thinking about the $$ you saved when you're getting blisters
    after a few miles.

+2

I hike in trail runners. Good for my 5kg base weight over 26+ miles per day in the mountains
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I'll third the trail runners.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I think you need to try some on and feel how they fit...kinda like running shoes where there are a lot of great brands, but really it's all about the fit. Also consider your hiking conditions and how you hike. I don't think going cheap on boots is really the way to go either.

I wear Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid GTX Hiking Boots. A lot of the hikes we do around here can get a bit technical and I love the grip of these boots in dry or wet conditions. They are also waterproof which is a must when I'm in the mountains camping and hiking. I do mostly day hiking...I think I would want something a bit more robust for packing, but at the same time I wouldn't mind at least giving these a whirl with a loaded pack.

They are super comfortable and feel like you're hiking on clouds...doesn't really fell like you're wearing a boot at all. So much so that they are my primary footwear when camping, regardless of whether I'm on a hike or not. They run a bit narrow and I have average feet, so I wear the wide in this boot.
  • ActionRZ
    ActionRZ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Much appreciated! I don’t have super wide feet but the last pair I bought were kind of tight and ended up hurting my right foot causing or effecting a Morton’s Neuroma. Had me unable to walk for several days. This however was a few months after a ball of foot injury. So I now know I have to be super careful and pick the absolute right types of footwear especially since I love to hike on trails including sometimes up steep inclines and wet.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've been extremely happy with Merrell Trail Gloves. They're extremely light weight, and fit my feet perfectly. Not even close to waterproof, but they dry quickly. Here in the PNW it's more important to dry quickly than to be waterproof, at least in summer conditions.

Socks can add cushioning to any footwear, and they can have some effect on water including from sweat. Wool is warm when wet, but takes ages to dry. Coolmax dries much more quickly, and is also good at wicking. Some people's skin prefers some fabrics and hates others. Anyway, socks can be an important piece of the puzzle and it's worth the trouble to experiment here too.

REI, Backcountry.com, and LL Bean have generous return policies, which means you can buy a pair of shoes or boots, try them on several hikes, see if they work for you, and get your money back if they don't.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Don't go cheap on hiking boots! Of course they'll get muddy, that's why you buy them.
    Also be aware that you might not wear the same size in hiking boots as you do in street shoes or athletic shoes.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My favorite boots are Oboz and Salomon.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I'm currently wearing Scarpas and Salomons.

But no recommendation is remotely as good as going to a good outdoor shop and trying on boots until you find ones that make you feel like you're walking on clouds. And then wearing them in before you go on a hike of any length.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I hike in Altra Lone Peak’s. They are trail running shoes but work well for hiking. They are also lightweight, wide, well cushioned and have a rock plate. I also have a Morton’s neuroma and the wide, cushion and rock plate make a world of difference in my comfort while encountering varying terrain.

A squished foot or feeling even a small root/rock hitting the ball of my foot can irritate the neuroma and make for a painful, miserable day (and days to follow).
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to sacrifice a lighter boot for durability and ruggedness, so my go-to choice is Asolo. They tend to run heavier but they are as tough as nails.

I also like Merrell but I've found the fit for a Merrell can vary quite a bit. I'm willing to order pretty much any boots online without trying them on first, except for Merrell's. Some are super comfortable and quickly become my favorite shoe but other styles just never seem to feel right and I wouldn't think of wearing them on a hike. So, I always make sure to try the Merrel's on at a store before buying them.
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Salomon Quest 4D 3 Hiking boots and they fit me real well. I would recommend Saloman. But as others say, try some on at a good outdoors store.