Fibre - moan

Options
hgam1
hgam1 Posts: 237 Member
ok, just a little moan here. I seem to use up all my fibre allocation in one go - usually on my breafast. If I have 35g of Kellogg's all bran there goes all 14 of my fibre allocation. In the longterm, is it ok to be constantly over the fibre limit and that goes for my protein as well! I am constantly over the allocated calories for these two. I am on a 1,200 cal a day.

Replies

• vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'd just go over. You'll know if you've eaten too much, not the same as going over fat etc. Or you could adjust fibre on your settings. I see fibre more as an aim to achieve rather than aim to stay under.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    (I'm also over protein a lot, and not bothered lol)
  • particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure 14 grammes of fibre is naff all anyways....
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    the only bad thing too much fibre can do to you is maybe give you the runs ha,
    fibre is so good for you! as long as youre getting all your other needed nutrients its good as gold.
  • NicolaJane1313
    Options
    I'm also always over on my Fibre - between oatmeal / fruit and veggies! I've seen someone's post where they have said use the Fibre goal as a minimum, which I do! I'd rather have too much fibre than Fat :)!
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    A Adult woman should have 25g of Fiber daily. A Man 30g of Fiber.

Yes, it is a bad thing if you have too much of the wrong kind of fiber. There are soluble and insoluble fiber. One desolves in water which is fine. The other that stays in your body and can leave you feeling constipated, bloated, and can cause the runs. You can look up information on fiber at webmd.com if you want.

(I know this because I did a research paper for my pre-med class last year)

Good luck!

ps. regarding protein there is nothing wrong with a excess of protein doesn't normally have negative effects on the body
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I hit 35 to 40g of fibre each day. No issues with a bit over, and just keep hydrated. The water in your system helps bind with the fibre and ensuring it passes through you easily. Not enough water and things can come to a halt.

Lots of good studies that suggest a diet high in fibre from a number of foods is beneficial for your health.

p
  • barbacasec
    Options
    I hit about 35g of fiber a day. I agree with pnieuw though you need to drink tons of water or else you will not feel so hot :)
    I actually add the clear metamucil to my low sugar oj in the am to get and extra 5 g to start off my day and it helps me feel fuller longer in the morning.
  • hgam1
    hgam1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. This is one of the great things of being on MFP....you get great advice. Amazing what I have learnt from all your advises. Thanks once again
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    i can't possibly see how you can have too much fiber.