Gum

Options
Just wondering...do you add chewing gum to your calorie count? I chew sugar-free extra, but it has 5 calories per stick. I don't add it to my food log, but I'm debating doing so. Thoughts?

Replies

• TescherTK
    TescherTK Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As someone else on MFP has said "if you bite it, you write it"
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the MFP logs are conservative estimates for the most part. While the labels may be accurate, I doubt that the vast majority of people are actually measuring and weighing each bit of food.

As such, a 5 cal stick of gum is negligable.

The best use of the diary I find is seeing long term patterns and habits over the course of several days or weeks, which enable people to change their behaviours towards making better choices.

Then again, if you're chewing that Stride gum, and you get attached by a goat crossing the street like in the commercial...that probably burns a fair bit of calories. ;-)
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Nah, I don't bother. Even on a high volume chewing gum day, I never consume more than 4 pieces. Hardly seems worth adding the 20 calories to the log.
  • angelahorne
    Options
    I include mine!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Is it 5 calories if you dont swallow it?

Also how many calories do you burn chewing it? Seems like a wash.
  • ennaejay
    Options

omfg... haha... this!
  • lunaephiliac
    Options

The sugar in the gum dissolves. you swallow it. that's where the flavor goes.
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Don't know if its true I heard you have to chew the gum for 1 hour to burn the 5 calories.

But regardless I don't add it cause 5-10 calories a day over my goal isn't going to make or break my weight loss journey.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I have been chewing Hubba Bubba and its 25cals! I log that lol
  • ctlinj7
    ctlinj7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I include it under my "snacks" in diary
  • rsqsquad05
    Options

LOL..I love it! If it was like the 25 cal. Hubba Bubba like our girl on here I'd say sure..2 pieces would be 50 cal. but 5 cal. I think you're safe! just laugh a little while you chew and call it even ;)
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    when you chew gum, you inhale air.
    when you inhale air, it makes your belly bloated.
    try having someone jump up and down on your belly WHILE you chew gum.
    Should help ;)
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm a serial gum chewer (only when I'm around people though) and don't log it haha. But I don't think I chew more than 4 pieces in situations like that. Maybe I should start logging it...
  • sarahsmart88
    Options
    Haha okay well since I chew about a pack a day, I'm putting it in my diary.
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I chew gum regularly, and I don't bother to add it. Unless you are chewing 20 pieces a day, I wouldn't worry about it. MFP is a tool to use, not a control mechanism. If you feel like you chew so much gum it impacts you log it, if not don't.
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I totally do! Even breath mints and sugar free candy! I think it's good, I don't eat it often, but 5 calories and here and there does add up! :)

I was working with a health psychologist and she said that the average person counting calories/calories burns is actually off by 100-200 calories on average That seems high to me and surely gum won't get you to 100 calories. But basically people OVER estimate how many calories they burn and then under calculate how much they eat.

Anyway... :) I like the "if you bite it, write it!"
  • kiwikara
    kiwikara Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat like a pack a day (erg haha got to cut back!) and I don't log it. Though, I just did now to see. 75 cals and 30 carbs for the pack of Extra Sugar Free Strawberry Shortcake!