Scale creeping up?

Options
Back in June I started taking fitness seriously. I kickbox/muay thai usually twice a week, and have added HIIT for 4-6 days working out a week depending on my work schedule. At first I lost 15-20lbs, but I didnt think to take measurements. Before and after pictures have shown progress but even with working out and hitting my nutrition goals, my weight has started creeping back up. Would this be muscle gain or should I be looking at something else for the cause. Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Very unlikely it would be from muscle gain. Muscle just isn't that easy to put on particularly if you're not using a progressive lifting program. Even then under optimal conditions focused on building muscles you're looking at maybe 1lbs or 2lbs per month.

If you've increased the amount or intensity of your exercise program this can cause a temporary spike in weight from water retention but this is short lived and will reverse after a week or two.

Based on the fact that you're entire post focuses almost exclusively on how much you exercise rather than your food intake I'm going to guess that you're gaining weigth because you're focusing on the wrong things for weight loss. Fitness happens in the gym, weight loss happens in the kitchen. It doesn't matter how many calories you're burning in the gym if you're eating in a way that puts you in a calorie surplus you're going to gain weight.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You can not out exercise a fork.
    Ie weight is 95% diet. Clearly you are eating more than burning
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Even if it was muscle gain (you aren't training in a way to significantly promote that) you would still be in a calorie surplus as your weight is rising.

Don't let a "creep" become a slide, you need to adjust your calorie balance downwards so either eat a bit less or move a bit more.
  • workalldaykickboxatnight
    workalldaykickboxatnight Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Thanks everybody. According to the app I am usually in a caloric deficit, but I do think I need to cut some carbs and sugar. I also bought some portion control containers so I'm curious to see how this all helps. I havent changed my diet very much since starting and it looks like I need to. I am on medication that promotes water retention which is not something I took into consideration either. Thanks for the insight
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Water retention would not be a minor consideration.

I am not quite sure why anyone would disagree with your statement that such medication and the consequential water retention would affect your scale weight.

Sometimes people just catch the disagree button when scrolling on the app version. I've had disagrees for all sorts of weird and wonderful things.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    Options
    Hmm, hadn't keyed as much on the sugar/carb thing; but more on the water retention thing as, to me, it would bring up whether there is actually any concern that needs to be addressed in the first place
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. According to the app I am usually in a caloric deficit, but I do think I need to cut some carbs and sugar. I also bought some portion control containers so I'm curious to see how this all helps. I havent changed my diet very much since starting and it looks like I need to. I am on medication that promotes water retention which is not something I took into consideration either. Thanks for the insight

When did you start the medication? If recently, sure, that could be a consideration, but not necessarily for a significant amount of water weight. What's the med and how much do you weight now?