What is the most disturbing thing that society accepts as a normal behaviour?

Replies

• jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Allowing grown adults to throw a tantrum or act like a dick but being okay with it because it was their alter ego (insert name here) making them act that way.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Parents avoiding any conversation about puberty, menstruation, bodily changes, sex, etc, with their children until years too late.

I know this still happens, and that's what I'm referring to.

But I hope it happens less than in my day (Gen X). Seriously had to explain all this stuff to 80% of my female friends when we were in middle school, and let my mom fill in the gaps because all of their moms were horrified to even mention childbirth or using pads. Ridiculous.

I remember when my father had "The talk" with me...

I was 16 and it more or less had been avoided up to a point where he realized he couldn't avoid it anymore 😂...

He looked at me and simply said... "YOU BETTER NOT BE DOING ANYTHING STUPID!!" 😂...

That was all the talk I needed, although it didn't work 😂...
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    edited February 2020
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Getting your "money's worth" at a buffet restaurant...gluttony I guess for the sake of a dollar value.

I've had people say it's not worth it for me to go to a buffet, because I'm a vegetarian and also probably won't eat 3 plates of food.

To me it's still "worth it" for the variety and getting to pick what I want.

Lol I feel attacked. But this is why I avoid buffets.... because I need to overeat there.
  • SFnBald
    SFnBald Posts: 134 Member
    Pineapple on Canadian bacon pizza. 🙄
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    jm_1234 wrote: »
    Sexism, objectification, and double standards... against men

(examples, see Joe Rogan's Strange Times stand-up on Netflix)

I think we already have enough advantages...

And I think I speak for most guy when I say "Objectify me Baby 😏" ... 😂

No, you don't speak for most guys. That line of thought is ignorant, dangerous, and part of the problem. We have enough advantages so objectify me? That doesn't even make sense.

If it's not appropriate for a man to say they will "ogle someone's fake boobs", then it isn't for a woman/lesbian/etc... And if it isn't appropriate for a man to grab a woman by the p---- or feel up their chests then it isn't for a woman to grab men's c---- and feel up men's chests. As a man, this stuff happened to me multiple times per month when I would go to bars - sexual battery is NEVER ok and it is a natural result of objectification.

Like the OP's topic, this is one of the most disturbing things society accepts as normal.

What kind of bars were you going to??

...... and can I have the address?
  • Motorsheen
    edited February 2020
    Joeyd727 wrote: »
    Using avocado as a condiment. 🤮🤮🤮🤮

You live in New Jersey, lieutenant; what do you know about surfing?

Charlie don’t Surf !!

• Motorsheen
    SFnBald wrote: »
    Pineapple on Canadian bacon pizza. 🙄

Post Reported.
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Another from the Gen X files: Raising up females to believe they can't do repairs of any sort and not teaching them the several tricks to open jars that are stuck. I still see it. Women at the gas station who don't know how to put air in their tires or change their air filter. Imma show you. It takes 5 minutes.

I theoretically know how to change a tire, oil, put air in the tires but I’ve never actually had to do it. I’m torn between thinking it’s learned helplessness or that delegating is an equally important skill.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Another from the Gen X files: Raising up females to believe they can't do repairs of any sort and not teaching them the several tricks to open jars that are stuck. I still see it. Women at the gas station who don't know how to put air in their tires or change their air filter. Imma show you. It takes 5 minutes.

I theoretically know how to change a tire, oil, put air in the tires but I’ve never actually had to do it. I’m torn between thinking it’s learned helplessness or that delegating is an equally important skill.

Changing the tire can be difficult if the person who put the tire on used air tools to tighten the lug nuts. Get a can of Liquid Wrench and a cheat bar to improve your chances and keep them in your trunk with your other tools. Blast stubborn lug nuts with liquid wrench, give it a few minutes, insert cheat bar into one of the ends of the lug wrench for leverage, and stomp the cheat bar. If this fails, call AAA. Also keep a crowbar on hand. It's good for leverage and it's good as a creep deterrent.

The air: super easy. unscrew the valve stem caps, put your pressure gauge on there and see current pressure/how much air you need. Put the coins/credit card in the air machine and pump until it hits that pressure. Modern machines can be digitally set to the pressure you choose. Inside the driver's side door of your car it probably states the ideal air pressure or you can find it on the side wall of the tires. Machines are set to default at 32 psi. put back valve stem caps before driving away.

Changing oil: I still have a hangup about this. I have an irrational fear that the car is going to fall and crush me. Trying to get past that.
  • Motorsheen

Changing the tire can be difficult if the person who put the tire on used air tools to tighten the lug nuts. Get a can of Liquid Wrench and a cheat bar to improve your chances and keep them in your trunk with your other tools. Blast stubborn lug nuts with liquid wrench, give it a few minutes, insert cheat bar into one of the ends of the lug wrench for leverage, and stomp the cheat bar. If this fails, call AAA. Also keep a crowbar on hand. It's good for leverage and it's good as a creep deterrent.

The air: super easy. unscrew the valve stem caps, put your pressure gauge on there and see current pressure/how much air you need. Put the coins/credit card in the air machine and pump until it hits that pressure. Modern machines can be digitally set to the pressure you choose. Inside the driver's side door of your car it probably states the ideal air pressure or you can find it on the side wall of the tires. Machines are set to default at 32 psi. put back valve stem caps before driving away.

Changing oil: I still have a hangup about this. I have an irrational fear that the car is going to fall and crush me. Trying to get past that.

I have a credit card.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Sexism, objectification, and double standards... against men

(examples, see Joe Rogan's Strange Times stand-up on Netflix)

I think we already have enough advantages...

And I think I speak for most guy when I say "Objectify me Baby 😏" ... 😂

No, you don't speak for most guys. That line of thought is ignorant, dangerous, and part of the problem. We have enough advantages so objectify me? That doesn't even make sense.

If it's not appropriate for a man to say they will "ogle someone's fake boobs", then it isn't for a woman/lesbian/etc... And if it isn't appropriate for a man to grab a woman by the p---- or feel up their chests then it isn't for a woman to grab men's c---- and feel up men's chests. As a man, this stuff happened to me multiple times per month when I would go to bars - sexual battery is NEVER ok and it is a natural result of objectification.

Like the OP's topic, this is one of the most disturbing things society accepts as normal.

What kind of bars were you going to??

...... and can I have the address?

You're a hoot, you know that? :lol: