IUD Weight Gain

Hello I have had an IUD for the past 5 years and I have gained over 30 pounds. I have never had problems with my weight before the IUD I was very slim. When I got the IUD it was impossible to lose weight I tried so hard. I just had my IUD removed last week and I have lost 8 pounds since then. I was just wondering if any body else had a similar experience and if they lost all of the weight they have gained from the IUD and also how long it took them?

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    I've had mine for a little better than a year. My only weight gain has been when I am not diligent with my diary!
  • atiffka
    atiffka Posts: 3 Member
    I actually have been eating very well and eating the correct amount of calories needed. So the iud is not an excuse just sharing my experience. Guess everyone’s experience with iud is different. I have been reading a lot about women that have been going through the same experience as me with the weight gain while having and iud.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I have had an IUD for 3 years. It has not caused any weight gain. I actually got it because I gained so much on the pill, and couldn't lose on the pill.
  • alpartin1975
    alpartin1975 Posts: 1 Member
    I had hormonal IUD's for 11 years (Mirena). I gained weight with them as well. I recently had mine switched for a non-hormonal one (Paragard) and I am looking forward to seeing the difference it makes. Everyone is different and our bodies respond differently to hormones. My personal experience was one of weight gain. There were, of course, other factors so I am not saying the IUD was the only, or even the root cause. However, I am serious about losing the weight and decided to have it removed to give my body as much of a chance as I could. Good luck!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i've had mine for year and i've lost weight. because ci<co
  • rcervetto
    rcervetto Posts: 57 Member
    I got my IUD (non-hormonal, Paragard) placed 5-6 weeks ago which is also around when I started tracking to lose weight and have lost ~10 pounds, so no, it has not affected me, I am losing as expected. Actually a little more than expected, but part of that is likely initial water weight loss and I'm breastfeeding so still fine-tuning my calories for appropriate loss (currently eating ~2000 cal/day).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    atiffka wrote: »
    Hello I have had an IUD for the past 5 years and I have gained over 30 pounds. I have never had problems with my weight before the IUD I was very slim. When I got the IUD it was impossible to lose weight I tried so hard. I just had my IUD removed last week and I have lost 8 pounds since then. I was just wondering if any body else had a similar experience and if they lost all of the weight they have gained from the IUD and also how long it took them?

Was your IUD the Mirena? If you do a search for Mirena threads here you will see a wide range of reactions to it.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    atiffka wrote: »
    I actually have been eating very well and eating the correct amount of calories needed. So the iud is not an excuse just sharing my experience. Guess everyone’s experience with iud is different. I have been reading a lot about women that have been going through the same experience as me with the weight gain while having and iud.

Is it a hormonal one? The hormone ones use Progesterone as the hormone which is known to increase your appetite. So yes, indirectly, an IUD can cause weight gain because you want to eat more. Something easily overcome with a bit of knowledge (I feel hungry due to hormones, I don't actually need to eat) and logging to ensure you stick to calories.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    I had my first for ten years, then had it removed to conceive my second child. I’ve now had the second IUD for almost three years. I’ve never experienced weight gain due to the IUD. I have lost a bit due to marathon training over the past year or so (I drop a few pounds while training) and losing my appetite from running. Hormones might increase hunger but in the end it’s CICO.