does a short term rapid weight loss plan help with motivation?

Options
Hi,
I am feeling really demoralised about my weight. A friend sent me a photo of the two of us together and I was literally twice her size. I looked like a walrus that might eat her.

I am 'only' 15lb over a healthy BMI weight and 30lb in total over my healthy weight which I maintained for years without dieting. But a very sedentary life style and overeating has got me here.

I'm thinking of doing a very intense low calorie keto for two weeks, just to see the difference it makes and get that motivation push. But I've read so much about crash dieters putting on even more weight afterwards. I don't know what to do for the best. Right now I feel so down about my weight, I don't know where to begin.

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    @Machka9, great tips! Thanks for sharing these. (Loved the exercise article.)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    cherys wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am feeling really demoralised about my weight. A friend sent me a photo of the two of us together and I was literally twice her size. I looked like a walrus that might eat her.

I am 'only' 15lb over a healthy BMI weight and 30lb in total over my healthy weight which I maintained for years without dieting. But a very sedentary life style and overeating has got me here.

I'm thinking of doing a very intense low calorie keto for two weeks, just to see the difference it makes and get that motivation push. But I've read so much about crash dieters putting on even more weight afterwards. I don't know what to do for the best. Right now I feel so down about my weight, I don't know where to begin.

Rebound................

Losing weight is just the first step, a "very intense," very restrictive diet won't teach you good habits for the future.

If low carb is a temporary thing, the water weight is going to come flooding back once you start eating carbs again. So if gaining several pounds overnite is not something you can deal with, don't do low carb.

As others have said, be more active. I'm one that won't walk outdoors if the weather is bad....excuses, excuses. But I found a way to walk indoors year round (Jessica Smith TV). There are tons of exercise videos on YouTube. Start by doing something, anything for 10 minutes a day. Keep trying new videos. Find something you like and build a healthy habit.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thank you. That is a GREAT hug @kshama2001 :)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Quick weight loss was always my go-to motivator every time I wanted to lose weight. And why not? With the hundreds of diet ads promising so much so fast, it had to be good.
    Wrong. :( It always brought me back to the beginning with my weight struggles because it simply wasn't sustainable for more than a few days. After having gained and lost the same 50-100 lbs. through out my life, I finally figured going slow an steady wins the race. Sounds corny but very true.
    In agreement with everyone else on this.....log in your calorie goals, a slow weight loss goal and see what it tells you to do. It's been a life changer for me and very nice having it all right in front of me to see what I need to tweak. I understand it can get depressing not feeling great about oneself; I let my weight define who I was for most of my life. As someone else suggested, give yourself a few weeks using MFP and see how it goes. Then re-evaluate. And Good Luck!!!
  • GeminiLady159
    GeminiLady159 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    does a short term rapid weight loss plan help with motivation? yes. yes it does. maybe it’s got lots of other issues with it, but the initial win is motivating for lots of us.

I’m ready for all your “disagrees” so go for it y’all.

Just speaking for myself: Yes, motivating.
  • GeminiLady159
    GeminiLady159 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    does a short term rapid weight loss plan help with motivation? yes. yes it does. maybe it’s got lots of other issues with it, but the initial win is motivating for lots of us.
    .... Yes, motivating.

Sure. Motivating. Of course it is "motivating". You're flying.

Till the unsustainable choices (speed of loss, restrictions, type and length of exercise) end in a crash. (are these the issues you're talking about?)

Motivation might have been sufficient to carry me through the first 11 months; but, it would not have gotten me through the 5.2 years that followed. And it will NOT get me, but itself, through the next five years.

Self knowledge, habits, processes, a willingness to stay in the game... they MIGHT.

I totally agree- but the question was about "short-term" which to me is that initial kick off that can get you going and motivate. I don't consider 5 years nor even 11 months short term. And yeah the issues come up with the medium term and long term- where you have to learn to continue to lose, or maintain, and usually live a new way than before. I still think a short-term (I was thinking a month?) kickstart is super motivating.
  • cherys
    Options
    @sibbw - to be fair, my friend is tiny - really short with delicate tiny bones like a child. So I really did look twice her size, but even if I were my normal healthy weight, it's true I'd look big beside her.
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Quick weight loss was always my go-to motivator every time I wanted to lose weight. And why not? With the hundreds of diet ads promising so much so fast, it had to be good.
    Wrong. :( It always brought me back to the beginning with my weight struggles because it simply wasn't sustainable for more than a few days. After having gained and lost the same 50-100 lbs. through out my life, I finally figured going slow an steady wins the race. Sounds corny but very true.
    In agreement with everyone else on this.....log in your calorie goals, a slow weight loss goal and see what it tells you to do. It's been a life changer for me and very nice having it all right in front of me to see what I need to tweak. I understand it can get depressing not feeling great about oneself; I let my weight define who I was for most of my life. As someone else suggested, give yourself a few weeks using MFP and see how it goes. Then re-evaluate. And Good Luck!!!

That's good advice, thank you.

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    cherys wrote: »
    Thank you all for your comments. There's some really useful advice here.
    @kshama2001 You're right I am fighting depression a bit at the moment. I have a foot injury which means I can't walk far and I usually walk every day. At the moment it's more like 1k steps instead of 10k steps and has been for two and a half months. I know I should do some floor work callisthenics instead but...low motivation. I'd rather be out in the fresh air climbing hills. I really need to just get on with it.

Maybe if you think of it in terms of getting some kind of fitness in, so that when you are healed, you can get out in the fresh air and you'll be better able to climb those hills. I totally get what you're going through. I try to remember that I may not be able to do my first choice, but if I can do something temporarily, then my go-to activity will not be so hard when I am able to get back to it.

Hugs during your recovery :heart:
  • cherys
    Options
    Thank you @girlwithcurls2. Today for the first time in weeks, I managed to walk up the hill behind our house. Took the shortest circuit but it was lovely and my foot isn't in agony, so it must be healing.