Bodyweight Exercises & Muscle Supplements

Options
Question 1:

So, I'm coming into my third year of being an exercise rider (will be three years in about a month), and am trying to increase my strength and endurance even more.

Since I'm sure not all of you are familiar with horseback riding, let alone exercise riding (which involves galloping 6-10 horses 6 days a week), it is a job that requires a LOT of agility, strength and endurance. There's nothing quite like it to make you realize that you're not as fit as you thought you were lol!

That said, I want to have the ability, without feeling drained every day, to be as strong as possible. I'm not looking so much to gain muscle or create a certain physique as I am for practical strength.

Between job, my horses and life, I don't plan on making time for any workout routines that involve too much "setting up." I like routines that I can quickly throw in a set here and there between folding wash or making dinner. Exercises I can do in jeans and a t-shirt if I really want to.

Currently, my routine involves running 2 or 3 miles (treadmill set at 3% incline). Trying to slowly increase my "base" speed while adding in sprints to try to build more power. I also try to do a simple routine of neutral-grip pull-ups, full push-ups and bicycle crunches. Since I've not done these in awhile (just making myself start up again in the last week!), I'm starting out by doing 3-5 sets of 5 reps for pull-ups and push-ups, and 3-5 sets of 15 reps for crunches. My goal is to slowly increase the reps.

What are some other bodyweight/no equipment required exercises you find helpful for building power/strength? I do have 5 lb and 10 lb dumbbells to throw into the mix.

Question 2:

Supplements. Besides eating a well-rounded diet and consuming enough protein (I'm trying to shoot for at least 80g a day), what supplements have you found to give you a boost?

I've been trying to read articles and have read a couple on bodybuilding.com that suggest creatine (among others). I'm planning on adding that daily for now. I'm also looking into the idea of a pre-workout for work, to help boost me through the rides when I'm becoming exhausted but every horse is fresh.

I guess what I would like to know from those who are experienced, what brands/types do you take or recommend?

Thank you!

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Hats off to you! I had a go on one of those simulators once, and it was horrifically taxing. I am no expert, but my comments are:

1) I guess the riding gives you plenty of work already in the legs and glutes. Probably in the core, too, but the core is probably worth working on nevertheless. Maybe do some hollow body holds and V sits. Pull ups are great for your back - maybe consider buying a long resistance band and doing some face pulls.

2) I'm not much of a one for supplements but I do take BCAA capsules since I train fasted and feel I should give my muscles something to be going on with. I get them from Holland & Barrett (which will probably mean nothing if you are not in the UK).
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    1. It sounds like grip strength might be an important element of your riding. You might want to look into a grip trainer like captain of crush. You could just keep them with you and do them through the day, working on increasing reps, or eventually using harder grips. Don't do them until failure - hold back several reps each time.

2. Creatine is one of the few actually helpful supplements. Do no take it the same time as caffeine - there seems to be increased stomach upset mixing the two. Most pre-workouts help with acute performance through stimulants, but the evidence suggests that acute increase doesn't lead to increased gains.
  • sarahjen92
    sarahjen92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    Hats off to you! I had a go on one of those simulators once, and it was horrifically taxing. I am no expert, but my comments are:

1) I guess the riding gives you plenty of work already in the legs and glutes. Probably in the core, too, but the core is probably worth working on nevertheless. Maybe do some hollow body holds and V sits. Pull ups are great for your back - maybe consider buying a long resistance band and doing some face pulls.

2) I'm not much of a one for supplements but I do take BCAA capsules since I train fasted and feel I should give my muscles something to be going on with. I get them from Holland & Barrett (which will probably mean nothing if you are not in the UK).

Thank you! My first year involved MANY days I seriously wondered what I was thinking haha! I wouldn't go back now though.

Good to know! Reading the list of protein supplement suggestions can be overwhelming, and I was considering focusing on one that had BCAAs. After what you said, I will add these to see how I feel on them. I'm similar...since I have to be at work by 5:45am and on my first horse by 6:15, I tend to not eat. I drink my coffee throughout and will nibble on my protein bar, but don't typically eat breakfast till I'm done riding (anywhere between (9:00 and 10:30am depending on time of year/amount of horses).
  • sarahjen92
    sarahjen92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    1. It sounds like grip strength might be an important element of your riding. You might want to look into a grip trainer like captain of crush. You could just keep them with you and do them through the day, working on increasing reps, or eventually using harder grips. Don't do them until failure - hold back several reps each time.

2. Creatine is one of the few actually helpful supplements. Do no take it the same time as caffeine - there seems to be increased stomach upset mixing the two. Most pre-workouts help with acute performance through stimulants, but the evidence suggests that acute increase doesn't lead to increased gains.

Yes, it involves a lot of grip, my hands have definitely gotten MUCH stronger but I know I would benefit from a grip trainer as you suggested. I'll put those on the list to buy!

Thanks for the tip! I would have been taking my creatine and drinking coffee! I will split them up. Now for the pre-workout, when you say "acute increase," I assume this means an increase in stamina? That is more what I'm looking for. I tend to get halfway through my rides and am looking for sugar to give me a boost. I was wondering if pre-workout would give me that extra boost to get me through without looking for a quick fix. But, I'm wondering now if I would be better off drinking a protein shake instead.

I do tend to get muscle fatigue later in the week. Typically, my energy level is fine Monday-Thursday, but I really start to feel the fatigue setting in Friday/Saturday. I've never consistently taken muscle supplements (just protein bars, and protein shakes here and there) or even paid as much attention to protein intake as I should have been doing.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I agree with the above regarding supplements. Just a note on BCAAs. Taken in isolation, they are an incomplete protein and are effectively useless. Taken with a complete protein such as whey, they may have some Muscle Protein Synthesis value. But fasted during a workout, the amino acids are not accomplishing anything. Really, BCAAs are useless as long as you get adequate protein.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you plan to train I would suggest you schedule time to so.

The idea of training is to accumulate enough useful stress to create an adaptation.

If you are performing resistance training "here and there" it's reasonable to assume you wouldn't be able to accumulate enough useful stress in most cases to develop an adaptation.

Weighted squats involving tempo or pauses, lunges, split squats, deadlift variations, abs(v holds, ab wheel, leg raises), rows variations might be useful if programmed correctly.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree with chief. Also, if you aren't consider in some kind of structured and consistent program, don't bother with creatine.

From a recovery standpoint, L-Citrulline and Beta Alanine are the preferred options. Caffeine can increase energy, which is the main thing in a pre-workout; and before someone suggest coffee, the doseage in pre-workouts are 2-4x that of a cup of coffee. Additional good pre-workouts will be adequately dosed with L-Citrulline and Beta Alanine.

But I will note, that most people do not need a pre-workout and can get most of the benefits from adequate protein and nutrient dense foods. If you want, start with some carbs and caffeine pre work, and consume protein when you are done riding.
  • Underweight2Lean
    Options

• Underweight2Lean
    Options
    So what would you say helps gain 10lbs of strait up muscled? I drink 2 protein shakes a day as well as I have lots of protein packed foods but my weight fluctuates. I’ll eat and gain 5lbs but do ab twists for 1.5 minutes and drop more weight than I put on
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I agree about pre-workout not being completely necessary. I find that if I have plenty of complex carbs and protein an hour or so before my workout, I have all the energy I need. The only time this isn’t enough is during my TOM, but that’s a hormone issue and not an energy issue.

I’ve just started playing around with creatine. I’m hopeful I’m a responder. I haven’t seen any increase in water weight, but today is only day 8 so I guess the night is still young so to speak.

Check out MyProtein. They’re having a 25% off sale right now. Truthfully, it seems like they’re always running some kind of sale. The last sale they had I got a 2.2lb bag of creatine for free, which is why I decided to give it a try bc I didn’t have anything to lose.