Quick question

Options
I'm gonna start by saying I am overweight and usually I ride my bike and never have a problem with pain. I plan on doing a little bit of running and then some cycling for each day with the weekends off to recover.

Today I went on my first run, 10 minutes of running (more like jogging) and 15 of walking, and plan on doing this every day with bike riding. I split it up into running and walking on and off for 5 minutes each. By the time I finished the second run, I was experiencing some chest pain, very light and it just made me feel a little worse. It went away after I got home and sat down and drank some water. I just had some general questions about this. (I know if it persists I will go to a doctor and get checked out)

Could this have just been caused by the fact that I am running in the cold while slightly sick? Could it also be the fact I am not used to running yet? Also if I keep running, could this also go away as I build up an endurance?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna start by saying I am overweight and usually I ride my bike and never have a problem with pain. I plan on doing a little bit of running and then some cycling for each day with the weekends off to recover.

Today I went on my first run, 10 minutes of running (more like jogging) and 15 of walking, and plan on doing this every day with bike riding. I split it up into running and walking on and off for 5 minutes each. By the time I finished the second run, I was experiencing some chest pain, very light and it just made me feel a little worse. It went away after I got home and sat down and drank some water. I just had some general questions about this. (I know if it persists I will go to a doctor and get checked out)

Could this have just been caused by the fact that I am running in the cold while slightly sick? Could it also be the fact I am not used to running yet? Also if I keep running, could this also go away as I build up an endurance?

Yes! See your doc. Chest pain is no joke. Though, yes it could be from the cold air combine with being sick and new cardio.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Could this have just been caused by the fact that I am running in the cold while slightly sick?

It could be.. or it could be one of 20 other things, including a serious heart problem. Chest pain is always considered a medical emergency until proven otherwise.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I would not run in the cold while sick that is a combination for getting pneumonia the cold air hitting the lungs. If you run in cold when better you should wear a balaclava to cover your mouth while running. I found when I initially did run my chest hurt bc of breathing heavy. In time I adjusted. But that could definitely be something to see dr for initial inspection
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Running can send your heart rate through the roof especially if you're overweight. Are you used to very high intensity exercise? It can be uncomfortable.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Seconding everyone else -- this could be completely okay, this could be very serious. You'll want to get it checked out as soon as you can.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I would look at the Couch to 5k program, 5 mins is a long time to run when you're just getting started.
  • CodyD2020
    CodyD2020 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Running can send your heart rate through the roof especially if you're overweight. Are you used to very high intensity exercise? It can be uncomfortable.

I usually ride my bike for about 90 minutes doing some moderate to high cardio (depending on the tempurature)

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I started running only a few year back and the first thing I learned is that running is hard! You can easily max out your heart rate, particularly when starting out. You need to do walk-run intervals for a long time C25K is one such program, but remember that you don't have to progress to a new workout until you are ready.

A great book is "The Run-Walk-Run Method" by Jeff Galloway.

At one point, I experienced chest pain and tightness, sometimes the day after running. My doctor wasn't all that worried, but sent me for a cardiac stress test anyway. (I'm in my 50s.)

It's a very simple test and it was over in less than 10 minutes. There was a sign on the wall that said "the doctor cannot tell you why your chest hurts." Mine was totally normal, and I felt like an old fool, but it was totally worth it!