Seasonal Depression

Options
Any one else in the Midwest starting to feel the weight lift, like it’s gonna get nice soon?! Starting to get my energy to work out-back!

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Yes, February is when I usually begin to see a shift. Very encouraging to still have some light at 6:00 as opposed to being dark by 4:30.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Hasn't happened in Colorado yet, but I'm hoping this season ends soon! My seasonal depression has been way worse this year than ever before. At this point, I'm not sure I'll ever be warm or happy again.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    It really has been a long, gray winter (and it's only Feb.) so I try to take full advantage of the few sunny, clear days we have, such as today. There's snow on the ground but the sky is clear and blue. I'm going to get as much sunlight and fresh air as I can stand given it's still very cold.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I get the "winter blues" - to combat this, I bundle up and get some exercise outside at lunchtime all winter long, no matter how cold.

I'm with the VA, and while discussing my "winter blues" with my psychiatrist last fall, he asked me if I wanted a light box, and since I know these are expensive and I would get it for free, I said sure. They really do help me with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)! I started out using it as directed, but now just use it on overcast days, which really effect my mood adversely.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder/in-depth/seasonal-affective-disorder-treatment/art-20048298

This is the light box I got: https://smile.amazon.com/Bright-Light-Therapy-Box-Northern/dp/B003OWJCIM/

Lol, the page keeps offering me this other thing, which I have tried in the past - it died in a week: https://smile.amazon.com/Philips-Simulation-Headspace-Subscription-HF3520/dp/B0093162RM/
  • sam_juggins
    sam_juggins Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Hasn't happened in Colorado yet, but I'm hoping this season ends soon! My seasonal depression has been way worse this year than ever before. At this point, I'm not sure I'll ever be warm or happy again.

Hasn't happened in the UK either and we keep getting hit with storms. I feel the same. I'll always be cold and miserable.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It’s nice to see it still kind of light at 6 pm, but I don’t suffer from this. I enjoy the changing seasons.
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Still miserable in the UK. Damp and cold but at least the wind has died down and the floods are subsiding. We stayed dry, thank goodness.
  • seat151
    seat151 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It's been an incredibly hot and dry summer in this part of Australia and we are in desperate need of a cool change with rain. Unfortunately, that's not on the horizon just yet. Every long hot dry days can get you down if there has been no change in ages
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I get the "winter blues" - to combat this, I bundle up and get some exercise outside at lunchtime all winter long, no matter how cold.

I'm with the VA, and while discussing my "winter blues" with my psychiatrist last fall, he asked me if I wanted a light box, and since I know these are expensive and I would get it for free, I said sure. They really do help me with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)! I started out using it as directed, but now just use it on overcast days, which really effect my mood adversely.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder/in-depth/seasonal-affective-disorder-treatment/art-20048298

This is the light box I got: https://smile.amazon.com/Bright-Light-Therapy-Box-Northern/dp/B003OWJCIM/

Lol, the page keeps offering me this other thing, which I have tried in the past - it died in a week: https://smile.amazon.com/Philips-Simulation-Headspace-Subscription-HF3520/dp/B0093162RM/

The light box has been some help this year. The challenge with that is getting up half an hour earlier to sit in front of it--especially since my psychiatrist and I have been jacking up my meds about as fast as I can swallow them. My mornings are very fuzzy now and I have discovered that it is indeed possible to fall asleep staring at 10,000 lumens of light B)

I've also given up sunglasses and SPF for the time being, so that if I do happen to be out when it's daylight, I can absorb as much of it as I can.

BTW--Spring is technically only 28 days away!
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I've noticed myself being unhappy and moody lately.. it never dawned on me it could be due to the season. I'm in NE Ohio, so it's gloomy and cold most days from about Nov-April. Our Winter has been pretty mild this year (as far as temps & snow amounts) but we're still stuck inside every day and seeing the sun is rare.

I'm hoping to snap out of it soon, I don't like feeling this way and I know my family is getting the wrath of it. It's sunny today, but only about 30* maybe I'll bundle up during lunch and walk outside, even if it's only for 15 minutes, it'll feel good.
  • loringsontheroad
    Options
    I have noticed I get winter depression from lack of sunlight and from being outside less. There are days I am woefully unmotivated and actually feel sad. But thankfully it doesn't last too long and is not too severe. In New England we have had an extremely mild winter- almost no snow and temps mostly in the 40s. This never happens. The days are starting to get longer too.
    I am starting my second week keeping my food diary and moving a lot more. I just went for over a 30 minute walk and just bundled up.
    I've been working with weights, doing low impact aerobics on YouTube. I am trying to eat better and tracking everything regardless of if I go over my calories. I feel like I'm also coming out of the darkness too.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I hate winter, and our in central Canada are brutal. Nothing beats the longer sunny days which are just around the corner and I do feel my spirits lifting already. We had a particularly sunny mild day today and me and my wife spend a good period of time walking though a park enjoying the day.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    Options
    How are your vitamin D levels? Low levels can be a reason for feeling down in winter.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,007 Member
    Options
    I'm weird I guess, I actually love winter....but I will welcome Spring with more activity outside and nearly a 100 lb weight difference from last year.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    Options
    I'm weird I guess, I actually love winter....but I will welcome Spring with more activity outside and nearly a 100 lb weight difference from last year.

I often don't mind winter as the weather tends to be better than in spring: less rain, less storms. Though this year is extreme: no freezing weather at all, and constant rain and storms. Ugh.

Congratulations to your loss! That's amazing.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Manitoba here and we finally have some light still at 6pm. I love the longer days and the oncoming daylight savings time! I am lucky in that I am home during daylight hours and get to get out when the sun is at its highest. I walk the dog 2miles a day at least 5 days a week. Even in -40C. This has been the easiest year on my in the most recent 10years or so, thyroid, iron, and vit D all balanced finally. But please spring come quickly!!