Motivation Tips Please

Options
Hello guys ☺️

So to cut a long story short, around 5-6 years ago I lost over three stone steadily, through exercising more, eating healthier making better lifestyle choices. Although I haven’t exactly put too much weight back on, my choices the past year or so haven’t been ones I’ve been best pleased with, and I need some tips to get back on track. I am FAR from the bad habits and weight I was before I lost it, but I really don’t want to spiral back that way, and would love to lose a few pounds and get back to feeling good about myself.

So I’m not on my feet as much as I would like to be. I do have a gym membership, although I barely go these days due to the work load I have of being a third-year univeristy student (excuses I know!) but I will be graduating in a few months and I’m hoping I can get to the gym more very soon. Also, I used to walk to work a lot (1 hour duration) and sometimes walk home too. As I have my own car now, and what with the awful weather recently, I don’t think about walking, although I would still love to walk more. My part-time job where I am 8 hours a day for 2-3 days a week, has me constantly on my feet and up and down two floors, so I do get some good exercise there. And most of all, although I love fruit, veggies and healthy meals, my family don’t really eat healthy like at all, so it’s usually up to me to buy these meals and ingredients, and I know I’d find it much easier if I had motivation from my family eating healthy too - but of course it is only ME who puts food into MY body.

So, I am currently sat eating an apple, drinking a green tea, planning tomorrow’s meals and charging my fitbit, but I would really appreciate some tips and advice on how to keep motivated from you lovely people. Thanks for taking the time to read :) x

Replies

• Itsanerdthing91
    Itsanerdthing91 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My story is similar, sent u a friend request
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I would start by being a little less strict with yourself. You have a lot on your plate and from your posts I think your requirements for a healthy lifestyle may be a little more than needed. It does not require that you eat nothing but nutrient dense food or "healthy" food.

There is no reason to pile stress on to your situation. Perfection is not needed to achieve better results. You only need good enough.

• cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    One think you could do is walking revision. If you are heading towards finals, it's so good to have a slow thoughtful walk around the uni campus or nearby park, thinking carefully about a given topic of your coursework; how you would answer different types of questions on it in final exams. Or if you are submitting written work, take a problematic bit of it out on a walk with you and just consider it as you walk. I used to do that in my final year and it was so helpful.

On your uni days can you just drive by the gym after class and tell yourself you'll just do 15 mins on the cross trainer or 10 mins free weights etc. Keep your goal small and targeted. It's better than none at all.

If you told your family you are trying to eat well for finals, would they help by stocking up on a fruit bowl and veggie sticks etc?
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    If you've lost it before and already have noticed it is creeping back up, you just need to realize you already have all the tools and information you need.
    It would be nice if getting in shape was a thing you did once and it was over, but it is just a sum of habits over time. Habits you already know how to build for yourself. Just realizing that, and knowing you can even refine it from what it was can reduce a lot of the anxiety.