Keto, discouraged

Ok so I started keto/IF JAN 2nd. I lost like 8 pounds the first week and 2 more a couple of weeks ago. Other than that, nothing. Last time I did keto, I lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks—-and I ate WAY more. I barely eat anything now (I eat till I’m full but that’s it).
Now I will say, during the Super Bowl weekend, we took a mini vacation and I cheated for 4 days but still stayed under calories. Is it possible that this cheat vaca reset me completely?
I’m frustrated with myself bc I ate way more and unhealthier when I did it before but lost more weight then. That was only Ike a year or so ago.

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Try doing an egg day. See if that kickstarts anything. If you’ve lost maybe you need to adjust calories to make sure you are in correct deficit. Or sometimes you need to eat more! And maybe you need to adjust your carb intake and lower it a little and see if that’s helpful.
  • Ajirvin
    Ajirvin Posts: 131 Member
    edited February 2020
    Tinker- I understand how keto works and about the initial weight loss. The point of my post was to say the first time I tried this I lost 3x what I did this time and I am eating healthier this time. I’m discouraged that I’m trying to do better and losing less.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Ajirvin wrote: »
    Ok so I started keto/IF JAN 2nd. I lost like 8 pounds the first week and 2 more a couple of weeks ago. Other than that, nothing. Last time I did keto, I lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks—-and I ate WAY more. I barely eat anything now (I eat till I’m full but that’s it).
    Now I will say, during the Super Bowl weekend, we took a mini vacation and I cheated for 4 days but still stayed under calories. Is it possible that this cheat vaca reset me completely?
    I’m frustrated with myself bc I ate way more and unhealthier when I did it before but lost more weight then. That was only Ike a year or so ago.
    If by cheated and stayed under calories you mean you reintroduced carbs, then generally you'd have refilled at least some of your glycogen and the associated water weight.

You could have had more water weight the last time you did keto. If by healther keto, you mean you're actually getting in vegetables, you might not be shedding water weight from glycogen depletion as much this time.

If you understand most of the initial loss is water weight, I don't see why be bothered that it is so variable between losses. Focus on counting calories accurately if you want to consistently lose fat.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    You are likely looking at a water weight gain from going out of ketosis. I lost my weight counting calories but before that I had a long history of trying other diets. People on low carb/keto diets have a tendency to drop weight fast the first few weeks because your body is losing water used to process the carbs. Once you go into ketosis the body is supposed to be burning fat. When you reintroduce carbs the water comes back no matter what your calories are. So the short answer is you gained water weight not fat weight. Give it time to come back off.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Ajirvin wrote: »
    Tinker- I understand how keto works and about the initial weight loss. The point of my post was to say the first time I tried this I lost 3x what I did this time and I am eating healthier this time. I’m discouraged that I’m trying to do better and losing less.

The first time you did it, you would have had far more water to lose, because you would have been eating more carb prior to weight loss. A big portion of what you would have lost the first time around would have been that water weight. Then Keto like all other diets evens out to a rate of 1-2 pounds per week, which is what you're currently losing.

Be patient! Fat gain doesn't happen overnight, neither does fat loss.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Maybe you are out of keto sis and not fat adapted bc of football week. I’d check with ketone strips
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Maybe you are out of keto sis and not fat adapted bc of football week. I’d check with ketone strips

Strips aren't particularly reliable, and there's not much point to trying that strict to be in ketosis if it isn't for treating a medical condition like epilepsy.
  • Ajirvin
    Ajirvin Posts: 131 Member
    Thanks for all of your replies!
  • 57momagain
    57momagain Posts: 3 Member
    I'm having the same exact problem. I totally understand what you're going through. Ugh!