Excercise and thighs

Options
My thighs constantly hurt. I'm doing zumba, weight lifting,kickboxing and barre fusion. Lots of squats and lunges and my thighs always hurt. I'm working out 7 hours/week for almost a year.
Thank you

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you taking rest days?
  • brianmayfan81
    brianmayfan81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes. Tuesdays and Sundays. I'm just wondering if I will ever get to the point they won't hurt or wont hurt as bad. Makes me want to skip lunges and squats
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch pre or post workout? I find that when my legs are really sore if I spend about 15 minutes doing stretches it relieves some of the soreness and pain. Even a light workout for 15-20 minutes that just gets you moving will help too. As your strength and endurance increases you will start to get less sore. I started mountain biking a few years ago and it took me about 2 years before I could do a typical ride without feeling sore the next day.Keep up the good work and best of luck!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yes. Tuesdays and Sundays. I'm just wondering if I will ever get to the point they won't hurt or wont hurt as bad. Makes me want to skip lunges and squats

Is this a consistently increasing number or about the same each time?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you have an injury? I have quadricep tendonitis which causes chronic pain above my knee.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch pre or post workout? I find that when my legs are really sore if I spend about 15 minutes doing stretches it relieves some of the soreness and pain. Even a light workout for 15-20 minutes that just gets you moving will help too. As your strength and endurance increases you will start to get less sore. I started mountain biking a few years ago and it took me about 2 years before I could do a typical ride without feeling sore the next day.Keep up the good work and best of luck!

Agreed. Stretching and light activity is amazing. I like active rest days b/c I'm still getting some movement but nothing too strenuous so I feel like my muscles don't have the chance to "lock up" on me.

I also like to foam roll after every workout. Once I started doing that I noticed that my DOMS disappeared. I can still feel the fatigue in my muscles the next day, but no soreness. I would give it a try. It may be helpful for you.

Here's a video that discusses research about whether foam rolling is helpful. TLDW; basically, the research shows that it can be helpful but it is not the answer to life. YMMV.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9fvaZ_U6o3Y

The Mayo Clinic has quite a few foam rolling vids on their YT channel. Check them out.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lLswx0vSvtk
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling or massage may help. Even just walking can help loosen your muscles. We have a dog who needs long walks twice a day. I credit those walks for my ability to run as much as I do. I'll start out stiff and sore, but by the end of the walk, everything is loose again.
  • DyneSalcar
    DyneSalcar Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Are you working your hamstrings to balance out everything you're putting into your quads?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein?
  • brianmayfan81
    brianmayfan81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the tips. I'm not stretching before I workout so I will see if that helps.