any personal trainers, etc that can give me guidance?

Options
I'm not sure if I am eating the correct amount of calories based on what MFP tells me. It says I should eat 1,200. I am sooooo confused. I feel stupid because so many say they can understand how to figure out how many calories to eat a day on their own. It's just not sinking in for me. When I went to the mayo clinic link it calculated 1750 for me on an inactive day and 1900 for me if I do light exercise (which I do - 60-90 min per week). I am 44 years old, 5' 3, weight 230. I am a secretary and have a desk job M-F. Can anyone help? When I get the calculation of 1750 - 1900 calories from the mayo clinic, do I then subtract 500 cals per day and only eat 1250 - 1400 cals per day in order to make a deficit to lose weight? Or is it already built into the mayo clinic figure? Not sure if I am deducting the exercise twice. Just confused. Sorry. Would appreciate any guidance.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    it depends. either you follow the mayo clinic information, or you follow mfp...
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    It all depends on what you're doing and how active you are when you're not working out. Your age, height, and sex also play a factor. I don't follow the MFP rules, I follow whatever workout plan I'm doing. OR I'll calculate on my own. It's a pretty basic formula and you can google it :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I am eating the correct amount of calories based on what MFP tells me. It says I should eat 1,200. I am sooooo confused. I feel stupid because so many say they can understand how to figure out how many calories to eat a day on their own. It's just not sinking in for me. When I went to the mayo clinic link it calculated 1750 for me on an inactive day and 1900 for me if I do light exercise (which I do - 60-90 min per week). I am 44 years old, 5' 3, weight 230. I am a secretary and have a desk job M-F. Can anyone help? When I get the calculation of 1750 - 1900 calories from the mayo clinic, do I then subtract 500 cals per day and only eat 1250 - 1400 cals per day in order to make a deficit to lose weight? Or is it already built into the mayo clinic figure? Not sure if I am deducting the exercise twice. Just confused. Sorry. Would appreciate any guidance.

If you weigh 230, most likely a 500 cal deficit is already build in to their number as your maintenance will be well above 2000. What did you choose as your weekly weight loss goal on MFP for it to give you 1200 calories.

Did you realize that MFP gives you 1200, but you are supposed to eat back the calories you burn from exercise, so if you burn 500 from exercise one day, you should eat 1700 (1200+500). Most likely the Mayo clinic already factored in your planned exercise to come up with your caloric intake.

Following MFP and eating back the cals you burned will be close to following the Mayo clinics recommendation (with their recommendation you don't eat back any of the cals you burn)

Hope this helps.
  • texancountess
    Options
    When I checked out the Mayo Clinic information, it was giving you the calories you should eat to maintain your weight. Therefore, if you're looking to lose weight you need to create a deficit. In other words, if you eat 1750 on days you don't exercise and 1900 on days that you do, then you shouldn't see a change in your weight at all.

Essentially the two programs are giving you calorie counts for different purposes. Mayo is helping you maintain and MFP is helping you lose.

I'd recommend following MFP. Which means that on days that you don't exercise you should eat around 1250 calories (follow MFP if you like) and on days that you do exercise, eat back those calories.

I know it seems counterintuitive to eat back your exercise calories - but I have seen a much steadier and faster weight drop since I started eating more.

Hope this helps!
  • erickirb
    Options
    When I checked out the Mayo Clinic information, it was giving you the calories you should eat to maintain your weight. Therefore, if you're looking to lose weight you need to create a deficit. In other words, if you eat 1750 on days you don't exercise and 1900 on days that you do, then you shouldn't see a change in your weight at all.

Essentially the two programs are giving you calorie counts for different purposes. Mayo is helping you maintain and MFP is helping you lose.

I'd recommend following MFP. Which means that on days that you don't exercise you should eat around 1250 calories (follow MFP if you like) and on days that you do exercise, eat back those calories.

I know it seems counterintuitive to eat back your exercise calories - but I have seen a much steadier and faster weight drop since I started eating more.

Hope this helps!

I disagree with your assessment as maintenance for someone 230lbs would be much higher than 1750, it would probably be closer to 2250, so there is the 500 cal deficit.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    1200 sounds pretty low for you to me. Are you eating that amount easily? I would suggest eating what the Mayo clinic suggested. I am guessing you have MFP set at a 2 pound loss? The 1200 they give you is the generic number they pretty much give everybody.
    Sounds to me like The clinic gave you a number with a deficit included. I say try it for a few weeks. A lot of people find they need to eat more (a controlled more) to lose. Why starve yourself if you don't have to?
  • 23ahol
    Options
    BoPeep-
    Good morning!
    MFP will give you how many calories to eat based on a weight loss goal. If you ate 1200 calories per day AND exercised you would lose weight fast, but you may feel low in energy because of too few calories.
    The Mayo site has given you a calorie estimate that is more realistic for long-term weight-loss. With 1750-1900 calories AND exercise, you won't feel low in energy but you will still lose weight.
    It's okay to feel discouraged, but remember that thinking about this stuff and taking action is the best thing for you to do!
    Don't worry about the numbers too much.
    I would set up MFP for 1750 calories, do your exercise everyday, and see where you are in one week. If you are feeling full or not seeing any weight loss you can adjust downward.
    Also, for best weight loss (and feeling full) set up MFP to monitor protein% at 30-50%, carbohydrate 30-50% depending on your protein level, and fat % to 30 or less.
    Let me know if that helps.
    Andrew
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Not a trainer, but I understand the math.

Based on your info, your BMR (the amount of calories needed to sustain your bodily functions if you laid in bed all day) is 1662. You have a desk job, so based on MFP's definition of daily activity level *outside of exercise* you are sedentary. We multiply 1662 x 1.25 to get 2078. This is the amount of calories your body needs to SUSTAIN your current weight,

You want to lose weight, so we subtract 500-750 calories from that number. A 500 calorie per day deficit will equal 1 lb a week in weight loss, a 750 calorie per day deficit will equal 1.5 lbs a week. So depending on your weight loss goal, your daily calorie calorie goal is somewhere between 1328 and 1578.

Now you're probably asking "Why did MFP give me 1200?" I'm almost certain you told the program that you wanted to lose 2 lbs per week. That would require a 1000 calorie deficit per day, and based on your daily needs to maintain, would mean you would have to limit yourself to 1078 calories per day. However, the website does not let you set a daily calorie goal below 1200 - so it just defaults to 1200 if your goal is too large.

And then we factor in exercise. MFP does not account for exercise *until you actually do it* - remember, your weight loss goal is built in through diet alone. So once you log exercise, MFP adds those calories back to your daily goal to keep you at your consistent 1-1.5lb per week weight loss. Dipping too low on calories (either by setting too large of a goal through diet alone, or through a combination of lowered dietary calories plus exercise) is not sustainable in the long run - especially as you get closer to your goal weight.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm not a personal trainer so take this with a grain of salt...

First, I just checked out that mayo clinic calorie calculator and the number it gives you is to maintain your weight, not lose (ETA - that's what it says!). Second, I plugged in my info (37 year old female, 189 lbs, 5'7") and it gave me 1950 - holy cow that's a lot!! I think, even at the sedentary setting, they assume you'll be getting up and doing some things during the day.

I think the difference is that MFP doesn't assume that. If you say you're sedentary, they tweak your numbers so that you can lose the weight without being active - and then they give you additional calories to consume when you log activity.

1200 is pretty low for a starting point and I assume they gave you that low number because you set your weight loss goal at 2 pounds per week. While that may be possible at first when you start making changes, it's really not reasonable for the long run. Try resetting your weight loss goal to 1 or even 1.5 pounds per week and see how you do. You can always change it again later as you learn how your body works.
  • texancountess
    Options

Hope this helps!

I disagree with your assessment as maintenance for someone 230lbs would be much higher than 1750, it would probably be closer to 2250, so there is the 500 cal deficit.

I was just going with what the Mayo Clinic said. I plugged in the information she gave us as well as my own. For her I received the exact recommendations that she did. For myself, it showed eating about 500 calories over what MFP is having me eat with my weight loss goals in mind. The math at least worked for me. That's all I was sharing.
  • bookwoman
    Options
    Here is a great new tool that the National Institute of Diabetes developed. http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/
    You just enter your info and it calculates how many calories you need to eat a day and how much exercise you need to do to meet your goal weight in a given time.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

I was just going with what the Mayo Clinic said. I plugged in the information she gave us as well as my own. For her I received the exact recommendations that she did. For myself, it showed eating about 500 calories over what MFP is having me eat with my weight loss goals in mind. The math at least worked for me. That's all I was sharing.

Is this the link people are using? http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/NU00598 Because I actually think it's wrong somewhere. It says right at the beginning "Use the calorie calculator to estimate the number of daily calories your body needs to maintain your current weight." And when I give it the same information for me and use the same definition of "activity level" that MFP uses (daily activity outside of dedicated exercise) it tells me exactly the same number that MFP gives me for maintaining my weight - 1650. But when I put in the OP's info (who weighs 100 lbs more than me) it only gives 1750 for maintaining, which logically cannot be correct.
  • BoPeep1967
    BoPeep1967 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies. i have set my MFP to lose 1.5 lbs per wk, so it is now giving me 1500 calories a day. i can surely survive on that. at 1240 I was WAY too hungry.
    ONE MORE QUESTION .... I told the MFP I do 10 min of exercize 7 days a week and it told me to eat 1,500 cals per day. Just to be sure I am doing this right, this means I eat 1,500 calories per day. Is this 1,500 already taking into consideration that I will do this exercize? Does that mean I do NOT log it in the exercise log, or do I still need to log it in each day? If I DO log it in, do I eat back what I earn in exercise or not?
    I apologize to everyone. I must be dense.
  • erickirb
    Options
    thanks for all the replies. i have set my MFP to lose 1.5 lbs per wk, so it is now giving me 1500 calories a day. i can surely survive on that. at 1240 I was WAY too hungry.
    ONE MORE QUESTION .... I told the MFP I do 10 min of exercize 7 days a week and it told me to eat 1,500 cals per day. Just to be sure I am doing this right, this means I eat 1,500 calories per day. Is this 1,500 already taking into consideration that I will do this exercize? Does that mean I do NOT log it in the exercise log, or do I still need to log it in each day? If I DO log it in, do I eat back what I earn in exercise or not?
    I apologize to everyone. I must be dense.

MFP does not take into account your planned exercise with respect to giving you a caloric intake, you are supposed to eat back the calories you burn to keep your daily caloric deficit at the level needed to attain your weekly weight loss goal. So if you burn 200 cals, you should eat 1700 on that day, if you don't workout you eat the 1500 to lose the 1.5lbs/week.
  • bookwoman
    Options
    You may be overthinking it. Remember, any tool you use is just a guideline. Your own body may react differently. For instance, when I use any of the calculators, I should lose about a pound a week on 1500 cals a day. But I have found that I need to go much lower than that (around 1200) to actually lose weight. I would start at the higher calorie amount and see what happens. If you are losing weight at the higher amount, then great. Remember, as you lose weight, you will probably have to reduce the calorie count to keep on losing and not plateau.
  • BoPeep1967
    BoPeep1967 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    thanks you all so much. i think i am overthinking it. i will do what you said eric - now it's crystal clear.