Need Advice on Picking Heart Rate Monitor

Options
So, I've recently discovered that heart rate monitors are probably the best way to track the calories I'm actually burning during a workout. I have no idea where to start looking, what brands are better, and how to find one at a reasonable price that isn't a piece of junk.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• CakepopPirate
    CakepopPirate Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I need advice on the same thing! Thanks for posting...

What does the MFP community think? :happy:
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F7 and I really like it, it has the watch and the chest strap and runs around $100 depending on where you buy it maybe a little more. Got mine as a gift but it came from Sports Authority.
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. I absolutely love love love it. Just bought my hubby one online for $75, brand new. Any of the Polar models are great.
  • jkinsella83
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 HRM and love it!
  • jcoco
    jcoco Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F4 & love it. I will not leave home without it when exercising. What is also nice,if you go to a gym that has Life Fitness cardio machines, the cardio machine will read your Polar chest strap & display your heart rate. To anybody even thinking about buying one , do it!! It is the most accurate way to know if you are working in your target heart zone, which will help avoiding plateaus.
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    bump
    .... useful topic, thanks :)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, Polar is one of the most accurate brands. I got the FT4 on Amazon.com a few weeks ago and love it!
  • ShannanLaNae
    ShannanLaNae Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    i need one too!! i think polar it is....
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I really need to get one too! I bought a heart rate monitor/pedometer from CVS for $50...and it doesn't do want i need it to do. It monitors your heart rate and and counts your steps and calculates the calories steps and distance when walking but doesn't count the calories for anything else?!?!? Unless I'm a moron (which is possible) and I don't have it set up correctly. There's a particular work out that I do which is climbing outdoors stone steps at this park near me. It's a super challenge...125 steps that ascend 90 feet, all different heights and widths..people come from all over to see how many times you can go up and down. I wore my monitor to do this and it showed the calories burned based on how far I traveled and how fast I moved. So after going up and down those stairs 8 times it said I burned like 86 calories...NOT. i need a better HRM!!!!
  • Pronoiac
    Options
    Polar is the standard! I have never had one from Polar I had any issues with.
  • windybaer
    windybaer Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Tick
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance one from Target designed for women. It calculates everything I want it to. It was about $65.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    So, I've recently discovered that heart rate monitors are probably the best way to track the calories I'm actually burning during a workout. I have no idea where to start looking, what brands are better, and how to find one at a reasonable price that isn't a piece of junk.

I have a Polar FT7 or w/e it is. I got it on Amazon for like $60-70.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Polar seems to be the go to then!!! I know what I'm asking for for my birthday next month:))
  • Dickersondiva
    Dickersondiva Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! I was just wondering the same thing.
  • MoDear
    MoDear Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT60 with gps and so far I love it! It was really easy to set up and has a large display. This model actually has different training programs you can choose from and then it creates weekly training program for you and allows you to see where you are in completing the goals it has set. It's currently on sale at Best Buy for $129.99 +tax (original price - $329 - you save $200 bucks!!!). It comes with a GPS arm band that tracks your distance, but I haven't used it for anything except inside workouts so far.

For a few extra bucks you get GPS and completely customized workout programs (tailored to your fitness level, your previous workouts, weight etc). GREAT DEAL!!
  • Dickersondiva
    Dickersondiva Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT60 with gps and so far I love it! It was really easy to set up and has a large display. This model actually has different training programs you can choose from and then it creates weekly training program for you and allows you to see where you are in completing the goals it has set. It's currently on sale at Best Buy for $129.99 +tax (original price - $329 - you save $200 bucks!!!). It comes with a GPS arm band that tracks your distance, but I haven't used it for anything except inside workouts so far.

For a few extra bucks you get GPS and completely customized workout programs (tailored to your fitness level, your previous workouts, weight etc). GREAT DEAL!!

That one sounds lovely. Does it come in pink or purple? Ahhhh...I'm such a girl...lol....thanks, MoDear!
  • Leopardliz
    Leopardliz Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing! Polar seems great but whats the difference between each one? I started to run but i want it to calculate other activity as well, does this make a difference on the model? Confusing..
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Unless you are going to use it to monitor your heart rate and the quality of your workouts, I would save your money.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/why-i-don-t-count-exercise-calories-114873
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! I got it off of amazon.com for $63. I like it because i can pause one workout and continue either with that workout or another. I normally end up with 2-3 workout a day and it allows you to see your training right from the watch!