Wine-health questions - ping me!

Hi all, I train wine pros and servers in natural and organic wines and wine-health topics. I will share some general information on a weekly basis and also am happy to answer questions!

Replies

• kclancy4119
    kclancy4119 Posts: 5 Member
    Paleo followers align best with red natural wines. Most of these wines are organically farmed with nothing removed (not filtered or fined) and nothing artificial added (no additives or processing aids). They also use wild fermentation with native yeasts. White wines, even natural, are often clarified and bubblies go through multi-step processing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    What are the health concerns with filtering or fining a wine?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    What vegan wines do you recommend?
  • kclancy4119
    Depending on your lifestyle or diet, It differs. As an example, many commercial wine we buy in the store is heavily manipulated. Industrial filtering strips natural phenols (good ones like reservatrol) from red wine. For Vegans, fining (removing proteins) can be done using material derived from animals. For example, isinglass is from fish bladders. Fining can be done using activated charcoal or bentonite clay which is okay for Vegans.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    What the actual?????

What do you hope to gain from this post? "Ping me?"

As in, "Hey, here's my business website, I'll help you buy this,"?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I'm having salmon tonight, probably pan fried with a bit of salt and pepper and some lemon. What type of wines would you recommend?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2020
    Depending on your lifestyle or diet, It differs. As an example, many commercial wine we buy in the store is heavily manipulated. Industrial filtering strips natural phenols (good ones like reservatrol) from red wine. For Vegans, fining (removing proteins) can be done using material derived from animals. For example, isinglass is from fish bladders. Fining can be done using activated charcoal or bentonite clay which is okay for Vegans.

Wouldn't this basically be the exact opposite of vegan?!? :huh:

ETA: Reading more closely, I get it now. The phrasing is difficult.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

I think they are saying that is something vegans have to watch out for.

Ping! I didn't realize that was still a thing
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

I figured it out, eventually. ;)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

I figured it out, eventually. ;)

The whole thing is a little confusing, so I totally relate <nods> :smile:
  • sardelsa
    mmapags wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I'm having salmon tonight, probably pan fried with a bit of salt and pepper and some lemon. What type of wines would you recommend?

While I'm not who the questions is directed to, I'll give you my recommendation as a retired chef with some knowledge of food pairings. I'd pair Sauvignon Blanc with salmon with lemon. The fruity acidity will enhance the lemon on the salmon nicely. If you were not using the lemon, I'd say Pinot Noir is a always a nice match for salmon. A lighter red that stands up to the stronger flavor of salmon very well. Especially if the salmon is wild caught.

Oh yes that is perfect! Thank you @mmapags :)
  • kclancy4119
    I agree with Sardelsa. Great recommendations. I also like a Pinot Grigio as an option. The acid in the wine should be higher than the dish or the wine can taste flabby or flat.
  • sardelsa
    @kclancy4119 thanks! it was actually @mmapags who made the recommendation. I just asked the question ;)
  • kclancy4119
    New to the forum and learning how to navigate! Thanks @mmapags
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    New to the forum and learning how to navigate! Thanks @mmapags

Use the quote function, it helps to know who you are replying to.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited February 2020
    cathipa wrote: »
    What vegan wines do you recommend?

I'd like to know this as well.

@cathipa, Kris pinot grigio is vegan. It was light, crisp and refreshing, imo. I'm FAR from an expert, but I found it very "drinkable." I was Googling a few weeks ago and did find some info on vegan wines.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

While I'm not who the questions is directed to, I'll give you my recommendation as a retired chef with some knowledge of food pairings. I'd pair Sauvignon Blanc with salmon with lemon. The fruity acidity will enhance the lemon on the salmon nicely. If you were not using the lemon, I'd say Pinot Noir is a always a nice match for salmon. A lighter red that stands up to the stronger flavor of salmon very well. Especially if the salmon is wild caught.

Omg...this makes me want both right now!!!