Pancakes and Waffles

mullanphylane
mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
I have a bag of Birch Bender's Micro-Pancakery Keto Pancake and Waffle mix (just add water). The end results:
  • Don't taste all that good, but that might because I expect these breakfast delights to taste a certain way.
  • PC's & W's are so light and airy they turn to pasty mush as soon as butter melts and syrup (sugar free) is poured on top.
  • Waffles never get crispy on the outside.
  • W's & PC's are kind of gritty in the mouth
Any suggestions on what to do with this stuff to get real pancakes/waffles? Or something else?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I like my waffles crispy too.
    I buy frozen ones you put in the toaster. I don’t do butter, but use the sugar free syrup. I let them sit in the toaster for about 30 seconds after they pop up. They don’t absorb so much of the syrup when they cool slightly and stay pretty crisp. The brand I buy is Essential Every Day (store brand). 130 calories for 2. Not a perfect solution, but I enjoy them.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    I have a bag of Birch Bender's Micro-Pancakery Keto Pancake and Waffle mix (just add water). The end results:
    • Don't taste all that good, but that might because I expect these breakfast delights to taste a certain way.
    • PC's & W's are so light and airy they turn to pasty mush as soon as butter melts and syrup (sugar free) is poured on top.
    • Waffles never get crispy on the outside.
    • W's & PC's are kind of gritty in the mouth
    Any suggestions on what to do with this stuff to get real pancakes/waffles? Or something else?

If you posted the ingredient list, it might help people offer suggestions.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Honestly I'm not a big fan of any of their mixes, or at least not the ones I've tried, nor the ones from Kodiak Cake (though I prefer Birch Bender but it's a low bar). My suggestion would essentially be to suffer it out (or throw away the mix) and then make your own pancakes and waffles without a mix.

It might also be worth trying to toast the already made waffles in the oven making sure to keep an eye on them so they don't burn.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    For reference: https://birchbenders.com/products/keto
    You can find the nutrition label, which includes the ingredients, if you scroll down and click "nutrition info".
  • pence429
    pence429 Posts: 28 Member
    have you tried a chaffle? Super simple to make, endless varieties. I eat them all the time. I typically drown mine in walden's syrup when I'm having them as a breakfast food.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,606 Member
    I made Birch Bender protein pancakes for the first time yesterday. Found them to be tender, if a little bland. I doctored mine up, adding blueberries and sugar free maple syrup and next time will add a teasp. of vanilla. I like that this mix has 16 grams of protein. Quite good with my additions.
  • meraki6
    meraki6 Posts: 21 Member
    Pancakes are pretty much everything. 👅
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Toss the stuff. Make your own. And use real syrup. What is sugar free syrup?
  • foreverslim1111
    @girlwithcurls2 - I love my sugar free syrup. It has 15 calories per .25 cup. It tastes just like pure maple syrup which has 210 calories per .25 cup. I can easily fit it into my calorie count. Isn't it great that we each get to make our own decisions on what we eat and how we spend our calorie budget?
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2020
    @girlwithcurls2 - I love my sugar free syrup. It has 15 calories per .25 cup. It tastes just like pure maple syrup which has 210 calories per .25 cup. I can easily fit it into my calorie count. Isn't it great that we each get to make our own decisions on what we eat and how we spend our calorie budget?

I wouldn’t go so far as to say it tastes as good as pure maple syrup, but definitely as good as the Log Cabin/Aunt Jemima type syrups, with way less calories. For me, saving calories is what it’s all about. No point in dry waffles.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    try it in the protein doughnut recipe?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited February 2020
    Make your own, there's basically the same ingredients in both and usually they are ingredients you probably already have..
  • DeniseLalande
    DeniseLalande Posts: 2 Member
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/124536615734637 make your own, these are delicious...
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,157 Member
    Make your own, there's basically the same ingredients in both and usually they are ingredients you probably already have..

Except a box of pancake mix is $4-5 bucks....buying 17 things to put in a recipe would be considerably more expensive, not to mention the time it takes to find a decent recipe and mix it up and then wash it all. Not worth it for something I only eat once a month or so.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i mean you are trying to take a product that is typically fairly carb-y and make them keto - i'm not surprise that its all that gritty

personally, i like the Birch Bender protein pancakes and don't find them gritty at all
  • foreverslim1111
    just_Tomek wrote: »

No it does not. It tastes nothing like the real thing, if you ever tried the real thing.
    But I use the zero calorie WF pancake syrup because its "good enough" and fits my calories just right.

Let me restate: It tastes very good to me. I haven't had real maple syrup in years and my taste buds have forgotten the real thing and have happily adapted to the low calorie stuff. I like it and don't miss real maple syrup anymore. Helps me not waste calories yet enjoy pancakes and thus I don't feel deprived. A win - win.
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member

If you posted the ingredient list, it might help people offer suggestions.

I doubt it. Knowing the product name (Birch Bender's Micro-Pancakery Keto Pancake and Waffle mix) should be sufficient for those who have used it. Just in case, though, here's the ingredients in the bag: Birch Bender's Micro-Pancakery Keto Pancake and Waffle mix. But, I guess not writing half an encyclopedia, with every possible bit of data, makes it easier for some folks to point out what I did that they don't like. Or just want to use the apparent lack of information as an excuse to pretend to be better than others. Much more fun this way.😜

However, because money was paid for the stuff, I'd rather not throw it out. I hoped a couple members would have some suggestions, based on their experience, for alternative use (food recipes, not methods of tossing in the trash) for it. I'm a T2D, so watching sugar and carbs is important to me - much more so than before.

Eat Less, Eat Better, Move More
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    I actually enjoy the Kodiak mix when it's prepped with a little extra water for a slightly runny consistency for making waffles. They seem crispy on the outside to me. When the mix is thicker it seems to be a little less crispy. I don't care for protein pancake mix much for pancakes, though. I can't really get a tasty fluffy pancake from it. If I go for a thinner, more crepe-like pancake that turns out okay.
    On the Kodiak packaging they give the option to use milk (or milk substitute) in place of all or some of the water in the mixture - maybe you could give that a try?

Maybe you could also look up some recipes that use pancake mix as a base for some non-pancake/waffle options? Cinnamon rolls, muffins, etc. Maybe the mix would taste better in another format?
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 97 Member
    If covering the pancakes with (any kind of) syrup makes them soggy, try putting the syrup in a bowl or puddle on your plate and dipping each bite. The syrup will not have time to absorb; the pancake will not get soggy; and you will have a bite that is syrup-flavor forward.