Starting Again...Update Starting Weight??

I was on here before and lost about 40 lbs. I had decided to take a small break as I had lost my motivation and was burned out. That break lasted a little over a year. Oops! During that time I gained back about 15 lbs. I'm going out of town with my family at the end of May. I want to be in better shape and feel better about myself when we go. This has given me reason to be motivated again. I have 95 days. Sorry for the long explanation!!

So, that being said....should I leave my starting weight where it was when I began this journey the 1st time, or update it to my weight when I started this go round?

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,044 Member
    Since you gained I would update your starting weight ....wishing you the very best on your journey and enjoy your vacation with your family ...If you would like a cheerleader while you are on your journey feel free to add me :)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    If you set to your current weight, you'll get more-relevant messages as you lose weight on your feed, I think.

I just hit my goal weight again (first time in two years) and my inclination is to reset my starting weight to this weight. I am at the top of my BMI range and I have some interest in being a few pounds lighter still.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Your call.

I like having a record of my weight since the start back in 2007, no matter what that weight is. I don't know why the "feed" matters, all I care about is my own internal knowledge.

• The same thing happened to me I had lost 80 pounds then took bc a long break ( gained 25 back) I have 12 left to go and I put in my new weight .
  • HisLadyBug83
    HisLadyBug83 Posts: 11 Member
    Thank you! I've been going back and forth whether to change it or leave it so I am greatful to hear everyone's opinions!
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Update your weight as this is your current starting point (and you will get more accurate information). Good luck on your journey and have a good trip in May. You have some time to get in shape!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    I updated my current weight in my goals, but not my original start weight.
  • knavarro2015
    knavarro2015 Posts: 20 Member
    I used myfitnesspal awhile ago and had great results! Fell off the wagon and, oops, here I am today starting again! I weighed myself this morning (and screamed!!) I'm starting with that weight! I also have a three month goal to be in better shape! Good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Thank you! I've been going back and forth whether to change it or leave it so I am greatful to hear everyone's opinions!

So...if you update your weight to whatever it is Today, then save it in GOALS, you'll get an updated calorie amount.

You can keep your start-date weight, it will be in storage in Check-in. Your calories will be appropriate to your current weight once you Save the current weight in "goals."
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    I've restarted MFP 4 times. I updated my starting weight each time. Psychologically, ti's a chance for a fresh start. Your weight history from before is retained. But this is a new effort, so start fresh from this day forward. Keep of course all the lessons you learned from your last attempt - what made it successful, why did you get burned out, what can you do differently this time to make it stick. I'm not suggesting you answer those questions here, but it's important to ask yourself that to make this your last restart. Clearly, I was a slow learner, so I had to repeat class a few times. :wink:
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    I have lost and gained the same pounds. This time I entered my weight today and using it as a clean start. We can do this!