Menopause

Options
Hi! I truly believe in MFP! I lost weight slowly in three years and loved my MFP app from 2013-2016. I then maintained for a long time then menopause hit and also had a gym injury which set me back. I am now back where I was in the beginning. I’m so sad! I don’t know where to even begin. I have been eating very healthy and back at the gym and nothing is happening. What should my macros be? I’m not sure MFP is taking into account my age. I don’t need over 200 carbs. I am feeling I need more protein. Anyone have experience? I’m back on MFP and ready to tackle this issue!

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I'm sorry you're sad!

I had a similar though not exactly same experience. I slowly gained 5 lb (totally normal for me in maintenance), but when I attempted to lose it, all the things that worked in the past weren't working. I wondered if it was age or hormones changing my metabolism. Then I realized the thing that had changed was my weekly activity OTHER than intentional exercise - exercise was the same but a career change had me sitting in a chair a lot more and running through airports never. My metabolism was working exactly the same and all the CICO math worked. Once I started working with a lower TDEE, I lost as expected with no problem. So I would say stick with it, revisit your post-injury CO, and give the math a chance to work for you.

About macros, that's pretty individual beyond the bare minimums for protein and fat. Protein depends on goals and activity but roughly, here is the daily MINIMUM:
    protein: 1g per pound lean body mass/LBM (if you know it) -or- 1g per 1lb GW (if you do not) **while active & eating in a deficit
    fat: 0.35g per 1lb body weight
    carbs: 50g for your brain (which is very little).
    fiber: 20-25g for women

Beyond the minimums, eat the macros you enjoy most.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I appreciate your comment. I’m not giving up!