Breaking a plateau

Options
Eating only apples for one entire day and drinking water? What do you think? Be honest.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt...
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    more likely do go overboard when you start eating regular food....are you referring to a detox that only has you eating apples and drinking water?
  • angelinerstetzko
    Options
    Hey! Mono meal days are a great way to help your body catch up and rejuvenate digestion, but I'm not sure about breaking a plateau. Have you tried interval workouts? Bodyrock.tv is a great website that shows free interval workouts, and she shows you how to do alternate moves if you don't have the equipment. That, or interval running helps too! If you find any other ways, please let me know too! I've been trying interval workouts which has helped a little, but not enough in my book!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I think thats a dumb thing to do......
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think it's a silly idea. Up your strength training or change your workouts in some way. Maybe eat more calories or try zigzagging. One day of apples and water makes no sense.
  • loristroud
    loristroud Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It's a great way to detox your body, but I find that the next day, even if you happen to break your plateau you will gain it back most likely, however it makes your body feel cleaner! :)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories if you're floating around under the 1200 mark.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    That doesn't sound too good...Try interval training...calorie cycling (zigZag) and other things. THis apple and water thing sounds horrible honestly. Sorry.
  • jabaa91
    jabaa91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    what does zig zagging mean?:) and i wouldn't, you know your own body the best but if it was me i know i'd end up overeating the next day...
  • angelinerstetzko
    Options
    http://www.ultra-running-insights.com/mono-diet.html

For those of you who don't know about mono meals, this is a good reference.

They aren't about starving your body, in fact, you still get all of your calories because it's usually fruit you eat. It's more of a cleansing, body catch up act rather than a kick into weight loss.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    what does zig zagging mean?:) and i wouldn't, you know your own body the best but if it was me i know i'd end up overeating the next day...

This is where you up your calories on certain days then eat less on others, to keep your body guessing and shake up your metabolism. Typically you maintain the same weekly deficit, you just structure the week to include heavier and lighter days instead of the same all week long.
  • jabaa91
    jabaa91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ahh okay thanks, that sounds like a great idea but i don't think i could do that lol, maybe one day! well done on the weight loss btw, inspirational :)
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Sounds weird but I decreased a little more carbs and added a bit more fat to my diet (good fats like natural peanut butter, avocado, etc) and the weight started coming off again.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    how long have you been stuck at the same weight for? is it really a plateau, or have you only been there for a week or so? i think a plateau is when you're stuck for a month to 6 weeks (if i remember correctly, and if i don't i apologise!!).

the apple and water thing sounds just terrible as a kick start. i think most people here will suggest that you increase your calorie intake rather than reduce it. but as a detox thing, you could do it i guess. you'd just have to keep your exercise light for the following few days (lots of fruit has a laxative effect!!).

i doubt that a day of apples and water would do anything. but i've never tried it. if you choose to do it then let us know how it goes.
  • MaggieMayhem73
    Options
    I've been fluctuating around the same 4 pounds for about a month now, getting depressed over it. Ugh :explode:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Where did you come up with this idea? Honestly, it sounds ridiculous and I would not do it.

Have you changed your workouts recently or started eating more? Is it that time of the month? Eating a lot of salt lately?

All of those things can play a factor in weight loss... so I'd try and see if some of those could be the answer before going on a crazy detox...