A 5k per Month?

Options
Hey everyone,

For a beginner, is it appropriate to run a 5k every month?

I've got one lined up for the end of this month, and I would like to do one at the end of October as well.

Right now I can run 2.4 miles in 34 minutes and I hope by the end of the month, I can run 3 miles in at most 40 minutes.

Would it be safe to assume that I can do both these races?

Thanks!

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Sure, for my cardio, I run a 5K many times a week. So doing 1 race a month is not a problem.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    5Ks are not that stressful. No reason why you can't do 1 (or more) per month).
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Definitely!
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    During running season here (March-November) we do more probably 2, sometimes 3 a month. It just gets expensive though. ;)
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I do one every week!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    It's not too many! Go for it!
  • SouthernCityChic
    SouthernCityChic Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Go for it!!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I just graduated from the C25K program and I'm running 5k 2/3 times a week as my normal run now. I'm going to work on the bridge to 10K soon too!
  • mimzy08
    Options
    I am doing a 5K every week in September, and 3 in October. I also did one the last weekend of August. Of course I am a walker, not a runner. If you are already in the shape you are in, there is not reason why you cannot do a 5K a month. I have a friend who is a runner, and she does a 5K every month and a half marathon in April.
    Go Runner!!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not....Go for it!!
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'd say you could.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I think you'll have no problem with it...but really, asking the group isn't going to help much since everyone is at a different fitness level. Your own body will tell you if something is too much. Saying this, I suspect you will recover in time to do a 5K every week if you wanted to.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You're just going to need to clean out a dresser drawer for all the t-shirts. :wink:
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun and a great motivation to me! Plus, since you have to spend a little to be involved in a 5K, there's accountability for you to continue training!:-)

Shannon
  • brittanydaniel79
    Options
    Awesome, thanks everyone! I just signed up for one at the end of October! Ya'll are great!
  • brittanydaniel79
    Options
    I think you'll have no problem with it...but really, asking the group isn't going to help much since everyone is at a different fitness level. Your own body will tell you if something is too much. Saying this, I suspect you will recover in time to do a 5K every week if you wanted to.

Thanks for this! I will see how my body feels after a 5k run prior to the races and see how long it takes to recover.
  • zebra1965
    zebra1965 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My 1st 5k is in 2 weeks. I was told by an avid runner to limit races to one per month until you see how your body reacts after a race. I'm a beginner, just up to 3 miles, so I don't want to overdo anything and injure myself. But...I did already book Oct-Nov-Dec races so I'm motivated to stick with it. Then next spring I'll reevaluate to see if I want to race more often. Good luck!!
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It only took me a couple days to fully recover from my first 5k last month. I wouldn't worry about it at all. And for what it's worth, I bet you beat the 40 minute mark easily based on what you're running now. You'll be surprised how being around others in a race setting will pull you through.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    No problem. After you get a couple under your belt, then consider a 10K and then on to the ulimate gateway drug, a half marathon.