Protein ideas

Options
I’m trying to get in ideas for protein. I struggle trying to get in enough and find my go to will be carbs. I hav protein powder, but have since grown to not really like the taste. And am not much a fan of plain Greek yogurt on its own. I will use it for salad dressings or a scoop in a shake. But that’s about it.
What are some of the ways you get in protein? My typical diet for protein is egg whites, chicken and beef, cheese, PB and sometimes beans.

Thanks a bunch!!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,156 Member
    Options
    I like shrimp as a protein source, calorie friendly and easy to cook with. I also love boiled whelks as a high protein snack, although that's probably not an appealing choice for most people :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    Here's the Protein Chart thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10244142/list-of-foods-with-highest-protein-calorie-percentage/p1

How much protein are you trying to get per day? I find it a small challenge, but no too bad if I stick with whole grains, yogurt, milk, cottage cheese, beans, eggs and two small portions of meat per day (2-3 ounces.) On occasion I have a half-scoop of protein powder in a smoothie. Can't really taste it, it's vanilla. :)
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    How many grams of protein do you get? And how many do you aim for? Sometimes people have too high protein goals, and that's why it can be hard to meat.

For chicken and beef, the type you eat makes a big difference. You can eat white meat chicken breast and lean beef to get the best protein/calorie ratio.

Pretty much all types of seafood are high in protein and low in fat (farm raised salmon being the exception regarding fat).
  • Laviegurl25
    Laviegurl25 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My goal is 170g of protein. It was a bit less but I tried to fiddle with macros so I increased it a bit.
    My typical intake is about 100g.
    I’ll take a look at the protein thread. I’m not much for seafood unfortunately or cottage cheese.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    My goal is 170g of protein. It was a bit less but I tried to fiddle with macros so I increased it a bit.
    I’ll take a look at the protein thread. I’m not much for seafood unfortunately or cottage cheese.

That is a ton of protein, especially if you're eating much less than 2000 cals or so. Is there a reason you're aiming that high?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options

Yeah that's an unnecessary amount. What is your goal weight? 100g is not very far off from what I'd imagine is a good target.
  • DyneSalcar
    DyneSalcar Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Tuna is an inexpensive, protein packed meal and like the least fish tasting fish there is. You can get the pre-flavored packets or mix a can with a little hot sauce or balsamic vinegar and mix with some lettuce, bell peppers, tomatoes, or any mix of your favorite veggies!

Also what percent did you see your protein at? Remember you need enough carbs to feed your brain and enough fat to balance your hormones. 30% protein is good for strength building. Remember there is such a thing as too much protein.
  • Laviegurl25
    Laviegurl25 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just recently changed it to 40% from 20%. I’ll stay to the 20% protein on 1500 calories.
    Thanks for all the info everyone!! 🤗
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options

What's your calorie goal? If less than 2267 calories, your protein goal is more than 30% of your total calories, which is higher than it needs to be.

The MFP default is 20%. Many of us tweak it up a bit, but I've never heard a good argument for more than 30%.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,610 Member
    Options
    I'm not the best at getting protein so I picked up Premiere Protein drinks at Costco and have been adding them into my cold brew, it tastes amazing and it's 30g protein for 160 calories when I'd normally have 30 calories of almond milk. I don't eat until lunch so it's worth the calories to me. Brunch has been oatmeal with chia seeds, flaxseeds, cashew milk, apple, cinnamon, and half a cup of Greek yogurt mixed together (it's actually really good!). Lunch is salad with two servings of beans, chicken, or half or full can tuna. Dinner is usually chicken breast, ground turkey, salmon, or a bean/legume dish like chili. I try to hit MFP protein levels before they change with exercise and have even been hitting the increased levels lately. My weight lifting has been awesome lately!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

What's your calorie goal? If less than 2267 calories, your protein goal is more than 30% of your total calories, which is higher than it needs to be.

The MFP default is 20%. Many of us tweak it up a bit, but I've never heard a good argument for more than 30%.

It's better to base protein goals on lean body mass than on an arbitrary percentages of daily calorie consumption (the latter would lead to the inappropriate result of consuming less protein when one is in a deep deficit -- precisely when most people need more protein, rather than less, to help maintain muscle).

Assuming from OP's avatar and screen name that she's female, I agree it's highly unlikely she needs 170 g of protein a day (few women have enough lean mass to need 170 g of protein, and I would think most who do have put in serious effort to achieve it, and aren't likely to need to come on the forum boards asking about it).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

It's better to base protein goals on lean body mass than on an arbitrary percentages of daily calorie consumption (the latter would lead to the inappropriate result of consuming less protein when one is in a deep deficit -- precisely when most people need more protein, rather than less, to help maintain muscle).

Assuming from OP's avatar and screen name that she's female, I agree it's highly unlikely she needs 170 g of protein a day (few women have enough lean mass to need 170 g of protein, and I would think most who do have put in serious effort to achieve it, and aren't likely to need to come on the forum boards asking about it).

I think percentages are fine and work well and simply with MFP, especially if nudged up a bit from 20%, but will run some numbers when I'm not sleep deprived and math doesn't hurt :)
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    for me, it's meat (any kind), fish/seafood, cheeses, eggs (WHOLE eggs, there is more protein in the yolk than the whites), beans of all sorts (except cut green beans), nuts... actually, I'd say all the usual things!
  • chelleedub
    chelleedub Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    • Switch your milk to soy--in coffee, cereal, smoothies, and in cooking. It's high in protein.
    • Try to incorporate beans in your meals and use various seeds as toppings wherever you can.
    • Eat boiled eggs, string cheese, Kind bars (they have lots of nuts), trail mix, and hummus as snacks. Use Greek yogurt (also high protein) in place of sour cream and have it as a parfait for breakfast once in awhile.
    • Switch to whole grain rice or quinoa.
    • Try lentil pasta.
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree with @kshama2001 - you could probably stand to just increase the serving size of your lean protein by 50% in one or two meals each day, and just slightly reduce serving size of something else.

When I was eating only a single serving (generally 3 oz for poultry or beef) I was definitely struggling to get enough protein even though I was including protein in every meal and some snacks.

I also like finding high protein versions of things like bread, tortillas, pancake mix, etc. It's not a ton of protein (maybe 6gm per serving), but it makes for a nice substitution if the alternative was something with pretty minimal nutritional value anyway.