Getting back on track

Options
I need to get back on track. I was doing so well, I've lost over 3 stone since May last year. I was feeling happier and healthier, making good choices food and drink wise and even getting in a bit of exercise. I started couch to 5k (well, I did the first run)

But then I met someone. And all my good choices seem to be going out of the window. I've swapped home cooked, sensible portions and veggies for takeaways - like pizza, chips, KFC buckets. Evenings where I used to do some circuit training in the living room are now spent curled up on the sofa with a box set. And with the weather being cold and rainy all the time, I've not been running - or even walking. And I love going walking.

But I've been lying to myself as well. I've kept logging food, but pretending it's less calories than it is. I had a massive bowl of pasta with chicken the other night, but logged just 75g penne so it fit my calorie goal. I know for a fact it was more than that. I ate chocolates all evening but only logged two of them.

I saw a picture of myself on Facebook this morning from three stone ago and I realised I don't want to go back. I felt awful back then. And I can see the weight piling back on - I'm maintaining at the moment, but it's only a matter of time. I want to lost another stone and a half really, get myself closer to a 'normal' BMI (currently at the top of the overweight section). So I need to get back on track. If anyone's got any tips to help (how do I say no to free pizza?!?) , or wants to add me for some accountability please do!

(sorry for the rambling post. I needed to write it all down because I can feel my hard work slipping away)

Replies

• adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've done the same thing, and now I'm back on track. You've worked so hard to get the weight off, you are too valuable to take your health for granted. Portion control allows a wider variety of foods you love: Split your portion in half before you start eating, take the rest home for another meal; at a buffet, take only two bites of each special dish you love and skip the boring stuff you get all the time. If you're enjoying a snack at home, put aside a small portion, stow the package and then go sit down and savor your treat. An open bag/box is dangerous. You don't have to deprive yourself or remove treats from your life, just limit yourself to small indulgences. This is not a diet (temporary), it's a lifestyle (permanent). Change for the better, YOU ARE WORTH THE EFFORT.
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You've taken the first step to getting back on track by recognising you need to go back to healthy eating.
  • pandagalaxy
    pandagalaxy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is so hard, I've been there and I now how difficult it can be.

The best part of this though is that you have realized what you are doing wrong and want to be committed to making a change. Things will get better from now on that you know what you have to do. :) Get back to eating healthy and working out. It isn't always easy when the people around you are enjoying things you aren't or just doing nothing but you have to persevere anyway if you want to achieve your goal. Take it day by day and you can get there! Best of luck! :)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,555 Member
    Options
    I had to smile at logging something lower, it's so tempting to do that to stay under calories but unfortunately the body is keeping the real record! I think that's a great place to start, begin logging the truth so you have the correct data to work with. As for free pizza that would be tough for me too but one thing I do if I can pass up food is promise myself I can get a better version, so instead of free Papa Murphy pizza I decide if the craving doesn't go away I'll stop at a pizzeria and get a pizza worth the calories or a piece of chocolate from a candy store or gourmet candy over a Reese's peanut butter cup. I usually can ride out the craving and rarely stop for food so it passes. You got this!
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Good work getting back on it! New relationships can be rough on diet and exercise. At some point you just have to be upfront with the person you're with about your health goals and how that impacts what you do and eat.

Maybe the person you're spending your time with now would be down to try some activities with you? Cooking healthy foods together can be a fun activity (maybe even try a cooking class together), and once the weather is a little warmer you can go for walks together?
  • awfuldaring
    awfuldaring Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have no tips but this is so relatable! I lost 36 lb since 1/1/19, and then gained 5 back in the last 2 months. Now I'm starting again. 10 lb until I'm no longer obese. 😩
  • aimjolie
    aimjolie Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You can have pizza. How about a slice of pizza piled high with vegetables (broccoli, mushrooms, black olives)? These are healthy and make the pizza slice filling. Like someone said this is not a temporary diet. It’s a permanent lifestyle change. No need to give up the foods you love, just enjoy them in moderation.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I hear this! Being satisfied in a relationship can pack on some pounds, in my experience. In four years I have gained 15 pounds just from being content. Recently, I have been working to get back to a healthier lifestyle while also allowing myself to feel safe and loved.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,043 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I had to smile at logging something lower, it's so tempting to do that to stay under calories but unfortunately the body is keeping the real record! I think that's a great place to start, begin logging the truth so you have the correct data to work with. As for free pizza that would be tough for me too but one thing I do if I can pass up food is promise myself I can get a better version, so instead of free Papa Murphy pizza I decide if the craving doesn't go away I'll stop at a pizzeria and get a pizza worth the calories or a piece of chocolate from a candy store or gourmet candy over a Reese's peanut butter cup. I usually can ride out the craving and rarely stop for food so it passes. You got this!

@Katmary71 is one of the fabulous motivators on a Group that might interest some people in this thread. She is amazing!

If you think a team would help you out, please consider the Fat2Fit Challenge. It is an ongoing group. You get assigned to a team, and everyone supports each other through the ups, downs, and in-betweens. This group has been running since 2016 and many people stick with it even once they hit maintenance. The support, energy, and fun challenges are great. Having to check in with a group all trying for the same thing helps enormously.

If you'd like to give it a try, come over to the registration page for March 2020. There is a good description there of how it works, and you can check out some of the team chat threads, etc. If you like what you see, just post a message in the registration thread and I'll assign you to a team. You'll be good to go!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10786420/fat-2-fit-registration-for-march-2020#latest