Weight gain tablet side-effects. Have to start all over again.

Options
I was put on steroid tablets by my doctor for chronic itching for eczema which has led to the side-effects of weight gain.

Seems all my hard work has been undone though it alleviated the itching which was driving me mad.

Replies

• vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It's so hard when something like that happens. Are you still on the steroids?
  • 1MinuteWithTina
    1MinuteWithTina Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's so hard when something like that happens. Are you still on the steroids?

No. I finished them last night. I often weigh on Mondays and when I stepped on the scales this morning, I wondered why I'd put so much weight on since last week Monday and checked up the side-effects of the medication. That's how I knew.
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    At least you know that the gain isn't due to falling off the wagon. I'm afraid it's going to be a case of taking it on the chin and starting again. At least you're not itching anymore. I have eczema and know how dire it can be. Are you taking any anti histamines?
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Steroids make you hang onto water which shows on the scale as an upward move. The good news is that this isn’t fat. You’ll probably find that over the next few days (and multiple pee-breaks), the scale settle la back to where it was (or very close).
    Hang in there and don’t get too down.

(They can also stimulate hunger, but if you were on a short course even the steroid-munchies won’t have pushed the scale up too much. Remember it takes about 3500 extra calories to put on a pound of fat).
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    The last time I was put on prednisone (for an injury), I gained roughly 10 lbs in a week. A week later, weight was all gone. It's just water. Don't panic.
  • mydogisthebestdogever
    Options
    Prednisone ugggg