New to mountain bike riding/trails...any advice?

76Crane76
76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
edited October 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
One of my long-term goals with my weight loss was to hit the trails on a bike...something I always wanted to do. After losing 118 lbs and at my goal/weight maintenance, did my first trail today and it was a blast. Feel really pumped and lots of endorphins as I almost wiped out several times on wet tree roots but managed to catch myself (balance is pretty good from yoga). Any advice/input from people who bike on the trails? I'm a 42 year-old mom who feels like a kid again!

Replies

• lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    Congrats 76Crane76! For the goal success and hitting the trails. I think NorthCascades nailed it 😉. It’s probably heresy to recommend but I switched my pedals to spiked/studded and love them. Grippy but not locked in. I like keeping my feet free to quickly correct when needed. Have fun!
  • Chantay7
    Chantay7 Posts: 16 Member
    Hi I’m Chantay

I would

Try a
    gel seat cushion,
    A travel pack to fix your tires and tighten spots
    A mini air pump
    Always wear a helmet-it saved a friend’s life
    Research mace for animals-some use bear mace
    But if cougars are about see if mace is appropriate
    Natural zinc loaded sunscreen is nice
    And don’t forget to stay hydrated
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    MTB can have a lot of different definitions. Are you looking at gravel riding, double track, single track? Where do you live? The rocky/rooty/slimy east coast is a different beast than the desert southwest. The type of riding you're looking to do will determine the equipment you need. The most important equipment is a helmet and some water. Other than that, just go out and do it. MTB is addicting, and before you'll know if, you'll be rocking the group rides, and driving your SO crazy on the quest for "n+1".
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    On a steep downhill, don't panic and slam on your breaks. Ask me how I know....
    Trust your bike and your tires to guide you down the hill.
  • PDKL45
    PDKL45 Posts: 11 Member
    On a steep downhill, don't panic and slam on your breaks. Ask me how I know....
    Trust your bike and your tires to guide you down the hill.

Ha! I've been there too...

On a steep downhill, either drop your seatpost remotely (if it's a dropper post) or undo the clamp. Then get your bottom right down and back to where the tire is almost buzzing your shorts (it actually happens on 29ers sometimes, a gentle bum buzz). If you fall over while crouched with all of your weight to the rear, you fall sideways, you don't go over the handlebars, and it's much less traumatic.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited October 2019
    Find a local bike shop and find a group of mtn bikers. They know all the trails and likely build these trails. Hang out with them, get your kids involved. Draw inspiration from the like-minded.

I started out on a base model GT and rode this for over 20 years riding all manner of trails throughout the country. Gear can be fun, but don't let this limit you.
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    On mixed useage trails, pls slow down and be aware of us poor benighted trail runners.
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    I'm a trail rider. Every ride for me is a mini-holiday and squashes the bad chemicals in my body - it leaves me beaming.

the best tip? mmm get some MTB flat shoes and spiked/knobbly pedals, they don't have to be expensive ones - it gives you more grip on the rough ground and the stiff soles are good for your feet/arches.

Plus enjoy it, it's fun and you see the world through different eyes :smiley:

• DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,239 Member
    I recently started riding again after a very long hiatus, on thing that I learned the hard way is that when trying a new trail for the first time, walk it out. Or at the very least when hitting a difficult spot stop and walk it, looking for the easier pass. Figure where the best spots are to break.
    I only get to ride once maybe twice a week cause of other obligations (stupid work!) but the more you ride the better you will get at it.
    There are some places in my area that offer classes on riding, general maintenance and repairs, I plan to take those myself and would recommend looking in to that in your area.
    I haven't read all the above post but do plan to, however I did notice one person said to be aware of runners on the trails. Great point as all the trails in my area are dual purpose trails. My worse run in was with a dog that apparently does not like wheels.
    Here's a good link that I was turned on to:
    https://www.mtbproject.com/

Good luck and have fun.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2020
    The basics - have fun, wear a helmet, be considerate of other people on the trails.

Beyond that - look down the trail, don't get too focused on what is immediately in front of you... Keep your weight on the pedals when things get rough, not on the saddle and definitely not on the handlebars.

Your local bike shop(s) and/or local riding club can be great resources for trail difficulty, trail conditions, tips, group rides, etc.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    The basics - have fun, wear a helmet, be considerate of other people on the trails.

Beyond that - look down the trail, don't get too focused on what is immediately in front of you... Keep your weight on the pedals when things get rough, not on the saddle and definitely not on the handlebars.

Your local bike shop(s) and/or local riding club can be great resources for trail difficulty, trail conditions, tips, group rides, etc.

To the bolded, it is generally recommended to look 5-10 feet in front of you. If you focus right in front of your tire, you are more likely to fall/get stuck.

Don't ride shirtless. Seriously, so many people in my area road and mountain bike shirtless which is a great way to get road rash when you crash.

Learn the proper call outs around other people - on your left, bike behind, X# behind me, etc.

Have fun!
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    For riding over obstacles like roots, stand up and bend your knees. Use your legs as shock absorbers and let the bike move around and do it's thing. It also helps to go over obstacles at as close to a 90-degree angle as possible. Finally, for going over bigger things try to pop the front wheel up and over. As long as the front wheel clears, the rear will usually follow.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,076 Member
    First off, I stand in awe. 118lbs! It's been a prolonged process for me to lose and keep off about 75 and I could go another 50.

Cycling is a big component of the program for me. I do about 50/50 on-road/off-road and most of my trails are improved singletrack, fire roads, rail trails. At age 65yo with some issues, I'm not feeling the need for certain kinds of riding. That being said, handling yourself well on the trail and varied terrain is always a good skill. Take it at your speed, and speed of development. Find folks (local shop, meetup group, park program, whatever) that you can hook up with and pick up the sport with others. Here in NJ, in addition to the above, REI has some intro to mountain biking classes that might do it for you. I'd also learn to do some basic trailside maintenance (including flat fixing), as mountain biking can be hard on your gear and you don't want to be stuck in the boonies somewhere when a little fixit knowledge would get you home. I won't recommend any specific gear or components or things without knowing you or your goals.

This is my third year of cycling again after decades away. it has taken me time to develop, improve my range and capabilities, and refine my interests. At first, just getting out was a big deal. Now I am moving towards multiday trail excursions this year. Probably not camping, looking at lodging along the way. PA, MD and Ontario, places I travel to frequently, have some itineraries like this. My "bucket list" for cycling includes Glacier National Park, Hawaii Volcano Coast and something in the Southwest (UT or AZ). So, my best advice, is follow your heart and you'll get pedaling to where you want to be/do/go.

Good luck!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

This is really important. Thanks @jjpptt2 for bringing it up.

Where I live there aren't all that many trails that allow mountain bikes (or any kind of bikes). Being known for politeness is how you keep access to the trails you have.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member

Where I live there aren't all that many trails that allow mountain bikes (or any kind of bikes). Being known for politeness is how you keep access to the trails you have.

Yep. My husband always says this is also how you get people to be willing to help if you crash or are in trouble. I generally want to believe that people will help regardless. But I have to admit that a couple weeks ago we would not have had our hearts into helping two guys on mountain bikes who nearly ran over our toddler on the trail with no heads up, then later rode against traffic in the middle of the paved street with a bike lane, before running three stop signs.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,076 Member

you surprise me. i lived for a while, as a kid in Auburn (50 years ago). I would have thought a great outdoorsy place like WA would have all kinds of trails access, not just (presumably) hiking. sure, some hiking-only venues in select locales, but multiuse in most places. agreed btw: nothing beats politeness and consideration.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Most of this advice is great! My take:
    -Do not get a gel seat on any bike, especially a mountain bike. The saddles are well designed for the sport of cycling.
    -Put a bell or other identifier to notify other riders/trail users if you're coming around a blind switchback or descent, especially if you can go multiple directions on the trail. I crashed into another rider when we were each coming down a blind hill. Thankfully neither of us or our bikes.
    -Get involved with your local bike scene.