Reducing BF and exercise calories

Hello

I am working towards decreasing my overall body fat percentage but not necessarily lose weight. I feel like I am hitting a wall trying to follow the calories recommended by MFP to account for activity level. I do cardio 5 days/week (about 20ish miles running usually) and 3 days of strength training. I am recently going through a “funk”- my energy level is really low, feel like I have a decreased ability to cope with physical stress of training plus life stress...does this indicate a calorie deficit? Maybe need to eat more to keep making fitness gains? Not sure what to do differently now but frustrated with how I feel....
Thank you for any advice!

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Low energy levels, decreased ability to cope with stress of training, and life. Aren't indicators of a calorie deficit.

How many calories are you eating, and how many are you burning?
  • kjo1713
    kjo1713 Posts: 34 Member
    1500ish daily and I burning between 500-600 on average with workouts
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    It sounds like you might not be eating enough.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    I am guessing that unless your 5 ft tall, your undereating by close to 400-500 cals per day to maintain weight with that level of exercise. I would probably feel the same way!
  • Are you losing weight? If so then you are in a calorie deficit.

If not then you are not in a deficit.

Maybe you need to take a deload.

If you give us yr training history and programming then maybe others can give you more tailored advice.
  • riverrat2013
    riverrat2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Sounds like you are undereating and your body is going to hold onto whatever fat you have. I agree to add another 500-600 calories of vegetable and protein. Give that some time and see.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    I would also recommend less cardio and more strength training. Switch two cardio sessions to full body calisthenics and some free weights. Change your two remaining cardio to high intensity sessions that are at least 20 minutes.

Diet is key. Not just caloiic deficit but also nutritional balance. You need some carb and fat to function and energy to live.