Sleep issues

Options
I have noticed that when I am cutting out 500 calories a day, (recommended amount to lose a pound a week), I am not sleeping well. I usually wake up hungry in the middle of the night and have trouble getting back to sleep. My mind also seems to be less focused. Mind you, I am eating 3-4 meals a day and eating something before bedtime to try and counterat this problem.

Is anyone else having this problem. I would like to go back to having a good nights sleep, but I have no idea how to accomplish this. All of the work to eat the correct amount per day, and then not being able to sleep is annoying. Has anyone solved this problem? I would like to do it without sleep aids.

Thank you for your help.

Connie Lynn

Replies

• ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that when I am cutting out 500 calories a day, (recommended amount to lose a pound a week), I am not sleeping well. I usually wake up hungry in the middle of the night and have trouble getting back to sleep. My mind also seems to be less focused. Mind you, I am eating 3-4 meals a day and eating something before bedtime to try and counterat this problem.

Is anyone else having this problem. I would like to go back to having a good nights sleep, but I have no idea how to accomplish this. All of the work to eat the correct amount per day, and then not being able to sleep is annoying. Has anyone solved this problem? I would like to do it without sleep aids.

Thank you for your help.

Connie Lynn
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    What do you mean you're cutting out 500 calories a day? Are you shorting your 1200?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    if you're waking up hungry, I'd say move your latest meal even later (ex- if you eat dinner at 6pm, try eating it at 7 or 730 instead. Also you may look into eat more lower calorie foods. a bedtime snack of celery sticks or cumcumber slices won't stuff you, but it will help to fill you up. :flowerforyou:
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Okay - I'm going to assume that you are eating your full amount of calories.

It is okay to add vegetables any time....no one EVER gained weight from eating a vegetable. You would be amazed at how filling this can be. This should help keep the hunger at bay. Eat them all day long and especially before you go to bed.

Not sleeping? If it's the hunger, then the veggies should take care of it.

Are you working out? When? If you are working out at night, you need to make sure you have sufficient time to come down before going to bed. You may be all reved up at night. Have you thought about working out in the morning?

Get a fan for your room.....the white noise really helps.

Read in bed. This helps me when I can't sleep.

Better yet, don't get frustrated. Find something to do on these nights that doesn't involve thinking or moving around a lot. Don't just lay in bed and stress over not sleeping - that is probably the worst thing you can do.

Also, 1 cup of warm skim milk or lavendar tea should do the trick. The tea is yummy and really works!

Will you e-mail me if you decide to try any of these tricks and tell me if they work? Good luck!
  • ConnieLynn
    Options
    Thank you for your great ideas. I will give them a try and let you know how it worked.

I am eating 1500 calories a day, sometimes I calorie cycle, but I always have at least 1500.

Thank you for your help,

Connie Lynn
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Are you working out too late in the evening? Exercise helps some sleep, keeps some people awake.... late evening exercise I mean.

I'd save a few calories, if you are one (like me) who sleeps well with a full tummy. Maybe a glass of milk and a couple crackers... or something. Whatever you can save calories for.
  • ConnieLynn
    Options
    Exercise effects my sleep as well. I only exercise in the morning. I have never been an evening exerciser. I am a morning person, partly because I have always had a good night sleep. I follow a very strick bedtime schedule, even on the weekends. I always go to bed around 10 p.m. and get up around 5:30-6a.m.

If I exercise and eat the extra calories earned through exercise, I am still making sure I get at least 1500 calories a day. The exercise does not help me sleep better, it wakes me up too.

It is like my body is waking me up at around midnight and saying "You are hungry and have not had enough to eat today, so I am going to wake you up so you eat something." It is very annoying. I did the work to eat the correct amount and I would like to go back to enjoying sleep.

I will try all of your suggestions tonight and let you know tomorrow how it went. I know there has to be other people out there who have experienced this.

Thanks and blessings to you,

Connie Lynn
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    I have tried a few eating schedules throughout the years but I always come back to late night dinners. I feel so much better and more rested after. If i dont eat late I wake up really, really early in the am starving sometimes at 3am. I just eat a small meal around 5:30 or 6 pm and then my dinner at 8 or 9 pm and i go to bed around 10-10:30. I also like it because I never have to fight the snacking urge..since thats when im eating dinner lol.

We are all different so find something that works for you.

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • ConnieLynn
    Options
    I Slept through the night!!!!

I had a glass of skim milk before bed and hopefully that is what did the trick.

I also had 1700 calories instead of 1500 yesterday and some soup that was high in fat for dinner.

One night at a time, we shall see what works.

Thank you for all of your help.

Blessings to you,

Connie Lynn
  • ConnieLynn
    Options
    Another good nights sleep, although I woke up at 4:30 a.m. instead of 5:30 a.m. I had more than 1500, so it was a wash day, but I plan to exercise today, so hopefully it all evens out.

I love sleeping well, not being light-headed and losing weight. They never tell you how important food is to the weight loss experience. I have learned how important it is to eat the correct amounts throughout the day and to eat your biggest meal at night, so you can sleep well.

You don't hear this stuff on TV or in the news.

Have a gread day,

Connie Lynn
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    Yay Im glad you have been sleeping better.

Yes we hear so much about not eating before bed but that just does not work for me. I gave it a genuine try too for months but my body never adjusted. Im glad you found something that works for you too :)

I have tested different meals too. I need fats and protien. If I have something like pasta or bread without enough fats and protien then I wake up early too. I do best with meat and veggies or if I have pasta I make sure I have protien with it ( chicken or shrimp) and olive oil then I have no problems.

:flowerforyou: