'Gap' sizing - is it accurate?

Options
2»

Replies

• misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 3 in most places...I can;t even fit into an XS at gap its to big. so ya they vanity size to the extreme
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you got it from an outlet, than no. The really try and keep their products true to size, however they get their products from different places and they cuts do vary. I know this because I did work very briefly for Athleta which is now owned by Gap inc. I also know this because I shop at the Gap outlet all the time. Sometimes I am a size 2 in their jeans and sometimes I can wear a size 4 in the same cut/style... just depends on the shipment or how far apart I have purchased. Has nothing to do with my body (well, that isn't true! Hahahah!) But does that make sense?
  • Evebwahurn
    Evebwahurn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian, and I've come to terms with the fact that there really is no such thing as an accurate size chart. I really only go by the inch measurement rather than '10, 8, 6' etc (as they really don't make much sense). I'm a 27 /32, which at the Gap is a 4 Long. However, I'm a 0 Long at Old Navy, and an 6 at the 'young' stores like Urban Outfitters and H&M. I used to be a 14 though, so yay!
  • erinpooh
    Options
    Gap and Old Navy run large for me, especially ON. I have size 2 ON jeans and they are usually bagging on me at the end of the day. Generally speaking, I wear a 2-4 in their jeans. The 4s are from several years ago, and I thought they ran big even then.
  • planetjumper90
    planetjumper90 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Screw the hassle. Soft tape measure FTW. Bought a GAP 30waist pair of gap shorts and oh my goodness i can fit two of me in them. The online measurement said it would be a 33w , was cheap so i bought them now im stuck with them. I am having this issue in every brand. Iv given up. No more online jean shopping 🤑😪 cant trust it at all. Im going to teach myself how to use my sewing machine and fix them myself 😅 i have like 6 pairs with the same problem and hubs cant know☠ wish me luck please i really need it 🤣 my point is i will from now on only shop platos closet 90%off sales (90cents an item hell yeah) BUT IM GOING TO BRING A SOFT TAPE MEASURE. ill personally need a 15 inch top line waist quick measure (15+15=30) durrr yeah i googled that myself so just putting it plain out there for anyone that second guesses their self like i do and have to eyeball the butt. Worn out crotches are annoying AF. Hell i might start making jeans to order if i get my machine going. With reinforced crotches and bums! Im on google mail same name if anyone has any inspiration for me. I have a 3 y/o so procrastination can be strong with dreams for me 🙃 one day i will be "stitch fix" but way cheaper. $10 Max , Heck send me all your old denim yall just donate anyways that would be amazing. Anywho iv really found myself on this post. I appreciate all yall and also letting me explore my own self. I am going to share this as is, cause i just sparked a passion inside myself and i hope it inspires others to just free write, make it public , make it stick. Yay!!!! Thanks yall! SCREW YOU SIZE 4 LIES ITS REVOLUTION TIME! Gonna go break out my Sewing machine NOW! Yall are the best 🥰🤩
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't burst your bubble.... I don't think GAP runs true to size at all.. but usually in the other direction. I'm not sure about the other sizes, but I've experienced that both Gap and Old Navy tend to make their clothes LARGER not smaller than the stated size with clothes that fit me. for example I can wear a 4 or 6 in Gap Pants but most other co. I'd have to wear an 8 or 9.

however, maybe that just shows that GAP doesn't have any strict reference, so maybe while the smaller sizes are larger, the larger sizes are smaller!? who knows. I also notice that one pair of GAP pants size 4 fits me in one cut, and another pair in a different cut, the 6 feels too small..

The BIG LESSON though, is don't let your pants size determine anything! It's all about how you feel !

Me too, but I buy in the UK.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Damn, didn't notice the zombie thread.
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    True story
    My daughter wears a 4 USA sizing.
    We're at Macy's and see a beautiful dress on clearance, size 10.
    BUT tiny!

She didn't even want to try it on because of the size tag, but it obviously was miss sized. If you held it up to other dresses it was more like a 2 or 4.

Sometimes clothing ends up on the sales rack because it's miss sized, not often but it happens
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    That's the main reason I just cannot order clothing online, unless I've tried the exact same thing on in the physical store. No 2 stores seem to run the exact same size. I wish I could because I've seen really cute stuff online before and we have almost zero shopping nearby. :( Gotta love living in the boonies. :/