Terrible itching!!

Options
My sister has been driven insane with constant itching for the past couple of weeks. At first she attributed it to dryness or wood heat but claims it's never this bad. I get dry itchy skin too, during the winter but not constant all-over like it's bothering her. So I went to the mayo online site and found out it could be a whole multitude of things, even thyroid, stress or lymphoma.
Anyone have experiences like this? She has no rash, hives, bites, nothing and the creams she usually tries has don't nothing for her. She picked up something with menthol and camphor but it only helped for a little bit. Any thoughts?
Thanks!!

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I agree, its best for your sister to see a doctor, its the best way to make a start on getting it sorted. Seeing a trusted doctor is the best way to go, if hers is not trusted can she see someone else in the practice.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    She loves her doctor and I'm going to see if I can talk her into going very soon, plus put a bug in her dd's ear(lives out of state but is home this weekend) and she can help push her too. It's challenging because she hates asking people for help(believe me, I volunteer myself 50x a week and do relieve or accompany them maybe 2-3x a week) and cannot leave her dh alone. I completely agree with her going to see a doctor, especially because it's going on 2 weeks and she's found very little, if no, relief.

Thank you :)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Your sister is fortunate to have you. I hope your neice picks up the thought too. Its good your sister has a doctor whom she trusts, we are not all so fortunate. All the best.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    She loves her doctor and I'm going to see if I can talk her into going very soon, plus put a bug in her dd's ear(lives out of state but is home this weekend) and she can help push her too. It's challenging because she hates asking people for help(believe me, I volunteer myself 50x a week and do relieve or accompany them maybe 2-3x a week) and cannot leave her dh alone. I completely agree with her going to see a doctor, especially because it's going on 2 weeks and she's found very little, if no, relief.

Get her in there ASAP. My first thought about itchiness was high phosphorus from kidney disease. I attributed mine to dry winter air at first.
  • charlottemilton
    charlottemilton Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Get her in to see her doctor. I have itched for awhile and was just diagnosed with a liver problem. Itching is one symptom. I thought it was just dry skin and allergies.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    Vune wrote: »

Get her in there ASAP. My first thought about itchiness was high phosphorus from kidney disease. I attributed mine to dry winter air at first.

Did you end up having kidney disease? Was that a symptom?
    Oh dear. :(
    You wouldn't believe all the problems my sister has. :( A few weeks ago she brought her dh to the VA drs. and got her ankle bone run into by a wheelchair. :( It still bothers her. She has 3 serious issues with her eyes; she doesn't just have glaucoma or macular degeneration or cataracts. No, she has all 3. :( This woman has every crazy thing happen to her that you can think of. :(

Thank you again, everyone.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Vune wrote: »

Did you end up having kidney disease? Was that a symptom?
    Oh dear. :(
    You wouldn't believe all the problems my sister has. :( A few weeks ago she brought her dh to the VA drs. and got her ankle bone run into by a wheelchair. :( It still bothers her. She has 3 serious issues with her eyes; she doesn't just have glaucoma or macular degeneration or cataracts. No, she has all 3. :( This woman has every crazy thing happen to her that you can think of. :(

Thank you again, everyone.

Yes, I have a genetic disease where my body doesn't make a certain collagen found in the kidneys, ears, and eyes, so I understand what it's like to be the unusual patient. It's been over 20 years since my kidneys failed, so it's treatable if caught in time.
  • privy95
    privy95 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would see her dr. Early in my diet I started itching. Saw my dr and RD and realized it was the almonds and almond milk I had added to my diet. It could be serious, if it could be easily solved like mine, but you don’t know without consulting a professional.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    Thanks all, I talked with my niece briefly yesterday and she knows about it, will check it out this weekend while she's home. *She* thinks it's the dryness this time of year because dry air does affect my sister and throughout the season, her skin just breaks down more due to it. She works in the health field so will be more attune to what might be going on than me. At least she's aware, and once she goes back home, I can keep my ears and eyes open. I brought up kidney issues, stress, and thyroid so she's got the bug in her ear now. :)
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    She needs to see a doctor. Itching can be anything from dry skin to an indication of a serious condition. The only way to know for sure is to see a professional.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    This is not to diagnose your sister with "winter itch" but to share my own experience - once I got control of the thermostat I stopped having "winter itch" and nosebleeds. I keep it at 60 at night and around 65 during the day. I'd keep it lower, but that is as low as my OH will put up with :lol:

My mother has terribly itchy skin in the winter and I blame her wood stove.